• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8340 + 7350

Scielienta

Hello,

I’ve got a pair of Genelec 8340 with GLM kit for my 4 by 4 meter home studio and after calibration with the GLM kit I am quite impressed by the result so far, but I have a problem with the bass response. 8340 has ability to go down to 38hz on paper which is lower than any monitor that I had before, but somewhat I can’t feel/hear the power of lower frequencies like i used to hear with my old Adam T5V. I have non treatment room that there are only couple of foams on the wall where my monitors placed 5cm away from them. Also my monitors sitting on acoustic foams on my desk. Now I am planning to do some acoustic treatment but still want to get subwoofer.

I am considering to get Genelec 7350 subwoofer but I have read that it is integrated with 8320 and 8330, so that does it mean it won’t work well with the 8340? Is anyone using 8340 + 7350 combo? Would be nice to hear your experience before proceed further. 7360 is integrated well with 8340 but it is doubled the price of 7350, so if it is sufficient enough, I would like to buy 7350.

Thank you

YSC

Major Contributor
Hello,

I’ve got a pair of Genelec 8340 with GLM kit for my 4 by 4 meter home studio and after calibration with the GLM kit I am quite impressed by the result so far, but I have a problem with the bass response. 8340 has ability to go down to 38hz on paper which is lower than any monitor that I had before, but somewhat I can’t feel/hear the power of lower frequencies like i used to hear with my old Adam T5V. I have non treatment room that there are only couple of foams on the wall where my monitors placed 5cm away from them. Also my monitors sitting on acoustic foams on my desk. Now I am planning to do some acoustic treatment but still want to get subwoofer.

I am considering to get Genelec 7350 subwoofer but I have read that it is integrated with 8320 and 8330, so that does it mean it won’t work well with the 8340? Is anyone using 8340 + 7350 combo? Would be nice to hear your experience before proceed further. 7360 is integrated well with 8340 but it is doubled the price of 7350, so if it is sufficient enough, I would like to buy 7350.

Thank you
I just wonder what in room curve you apply to the GLM, if you go for the flat one it will most definitely sound bass shy

OP
Scielienta

Scielienta

Here is my GLM result after calibration.

A5EDCAD9-A360-455B-9201-0A04CEE33486.jpeg
CB6094EF-5AF7-42EB-A5B4-DC11E7888FD4.jpeg

YSC

Major Contributor
Here is my GLM result after calibration.

View attachment 217882View attachment 217883
looks like the target is similar to the harman curve which I am using myself also, just guessing it can be the T5V have that huge 50hz peak and broad bass boost making it sound a lot more bassy, also the 100hz trench don't help for mid bass content either, so it looks to me both are contributing to your impression. maybe you would want to try uncalibrated stock profile in your 8340 and see if that bass feeling comes back?

Subwoofer is nice to in room extend the bass region to like 20-25hz, I can achieve in room flat to 27hz with the 7040A, but having full range extension may not give you the bass impact when you just comes from a speaker having massive room gain in bass. it can go lower but since now it's more neutral it won't give you the bass shake as the untreated one

OP
Scielienta

Scielienta

looks like the target is similar to the harman curve which I am using myself also, just guessing it can be the T5V have that huge 50hz peak and broad bass boost making it sound a lot more bassy, also the 100hz trench don't help for mid bass content either, so it looks to me both are contributing to your impression. maybe you would want to try uncalibrated stock profile in your 8340 and see if that bass feeling comes back?

Subwoofer is nice to in room extend the bass region to like 20-25hz, I can achieve in room flat to 27hz with the 7040A, but having full range extension may not give you the bass impact when you just comes from a speaker having massive room gain in bass. it can go lower but since now it's more neutral it won't give you the bass shake as the untreated one
Actually I tried uncalibrated sound as well, bass quantity was more or less similar but it was muddy and hollow but after calibrated, it became more tighter and cleaner. It is so obvious that my room needs some acoustic treatment but I just surprised I am hearing less bass quantity than T5V which they were in the same room condition and placement.

7350 seems pretty solid to me but not sure if it is suit to 8340 or not. I think first and best thing to do some acoustic treatment and getting subwoofer later on.

YSC

Major Contributor
Actually I tried uncalibrated sound as well, bass quantity was more or less similar but it was muddy and hollow but after calibrated, it became more tighter and cleaner. It is so obvious that my room needs some acoustic treatment but I just surprised I am hearing less bass quantity than T5V which they were in the same room condition and placement.

7350 seems pretty solid to me but not sure if it is suit to 8340 or not. I think first and best thing to do some acoustic treatment and getting subwoofer later on.
Personally I think it’s ok, with 7040 with 8030 in room I can go to 27hz flat, and if listening nearfield I am pretty sure the max SPL don’t really hold you back

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 2x 7350s with my 8341s. They're fine for music, by no means impressive, but GLM makes it so easy for 1 listening position. Price is pretty brutal, though. If you have the time, MiniDSP + sub of your choosing is a much better value.

In your case, maybe 7350 crossed at 100Hz would alleviate that chasm at 100Hz you currently have with your 8340s. But, with only 1 sub it's just as likely you'll have a problem elsewhere depending on your placement options

Room treatment is best choice because you'll need it sub or no sub (we all do)

OP
Scielienta

Scielienta

I use 2x 7350s with my 8341s. They're fine for music, by no means impressive, but GLM makes it so easy for 1 listening position. Price is pretty brutal, though. If you have the time, MiniDSP + sub of your choosing is a much better value.

In your case, maybe 7350 crossed at 100Hz would alleviate that chasm at 100Hz you currently have with your 8340s. But, with only 1 sub it's just as likely you'll have a problem elsewhere depending on your placement options

Room treatment is best choice because you'll need it sub or no sub (we all do)
Yes, price is quite expensive for a 8 inch sub with 150 watt power and not sure 1 single 7350 is good enough for my setup or not. I might get SVS 1000 Pro or something similar but GLM is so easy to calibrate it without any headache.

Eke

I was in similar position as you are now: will single 7350 be enough for pair of 8340. 7350 do cost more than other subs but spending hours on finding optimal settings for non GLM sub would in the end be more pricey (when I take into account me doing something I dont get paid for).

So now I have 7350. Genelec do say 8340 should have 7360 but I never listen music / movies sound levels where my set up would give red lights.

So in the end I chose 7350 because it fits on my personlity: I know I would spend hours on configuring non GLM sub and loosing money while doing that. Now I spent few minutes to run GLM and that’s it.

If you are interested how does the setup performs in my non treated room (4m * 2,5m * 2,5m), attached is Grade report.

Attachments

• Genelec GRADE Report 2022-07-14.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 279

Vall

If the bass is not there, push the 8340 right back to the front wall to avoid SBIR, before you buy the 7350 Sub.

Unfortunatelly, - as far as I know - neither GLM nor SoundID Reference shows you the actual FR after calibration, just the filter curve as an approximation to the optimum response.

So you still could have a huge suckout in the Low-Frequency area, even with GLM applied. —> Sidewalls could cause the same problem. To keep it short: Maye try to measure after GLM was applied and look whats going on in LF-region :)

YSC

Major Contributor
I was in similar position as you are now: will single 7350 be enough for pair of 8340. 7350 do cost more than other subs but spending hours on finding optimal settings for non GLM sub would in the end be more pricey (when I take into account me doing something I dont get paid for).

So now I have 7350. Genelec do say 8340 should have 7360 but I never listen music / movies sound levels where my set up would give red lights.

So in the end I chose 7350 because it fits on my personlity: I know I would spend hours on configuring non GLM sub and loosing money while doing that. Now I spent few minutes to run GLM and that’s it.

If you are interested how does the setup performs in my non treated room (4m * 2,5m * 2,5m), attached is Grade report.
so the report is exactly your measurement with GLM?

YSC

Major Contributor
Yeah, it is. 8340s needs some placement fine tunig and few acustic panels would not hurt either.
nice one, the FR above the schrolder frequency looked good enough to me anyway, and seems you can get in room flat to approximately 25hz, nice one

OP
Scielienta

Scielienta

Thank you so much for your respond, appreciated.

GLM is super useful software/kit which is the main reason why I am looking Genelec subwoofer instead of to get better price/perfromance alternatives.

There is no huge SPL differences between 7350 and 7360 on paper, so it seems 7350 is pretty enough for my needs since I don’t have a big room.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thank you so much for your respond, appreciated.

GLM is super useful software/kit which is the main reason why I am looking Genelec subwoofer instead of to get better price/perfromance alternatives.

There is no huge SPL differences between 7350 and 7360 on paper, so it seems 7350 is pretty enough for my needs since I don’t have a big room.
it should be, and when utilizing boundary gain I can get the 7040A rated 30hz @-6db to in room flat 27hz, I believe the 22hz -6db 7350 in nearfield usage with boundary gain can get the 20 hz flat

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hello,

Thank you
With 8340 without subwoofer, try manual shelving in GLM after the GLM calibration , lowering everything above 100 Hz and print - 5 dB .
That way you get a frequency response thats prefered in Harmans investigations. Try it and see If you need a subwoofer. This trick can be done with every SAM speaker.

C4D6091E-0A5E-4ED4-B20F-8C7656C8CDA4.jpeg

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use a 7350 but it will limit your headroom. Depends on how loud you wish to play the system.

Nehi

Hello,

Thank you

I have the 8340 and 7360 system. I hope you have solved this issue but if you haven't - biggest thing improvement you can do is your room acoustics. I invested in room treatment and the difference is night and day. I would say, start with bass traps, get good quality and as much as you can. Make sure to fill all corners, then also treat the side walls. You will hear a difference! The Adams are not in the same league as the Genelecs - I wouldn't trust their bass response.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^ everything he said. Room treatment (unless you are very lucky in your room and/or listening very close up). The genelec grade report opened my eyes. The report made it beyond clear I needed to invest in room treatment in my room. It is night and day.

One further thing that will make this more difficult is that even though they say you cannot localize 80Hz I have personally found this to not be true.

I have run 20-20KHz sine wave sweeps and pure sine tones at 20.33.40.63.5,80,100Hz. I can clearly localize 80Hz. It can even shift the image. So if you have one sub make sure it is centered.

Most people don’t want to hear this but otherwise you will need a stereo pair. My system was okay with one sub but with 2 subs it was a definite upgrade. I didn’t want it to be but it was. It would be nice to recommend a pair of monitors and one sub but after what I heard I have to recommend 2 subs.

Last edited:

Nehi

Oh yes you are spot on! Genelec's Grade report is amazing, it wowed and educated enough to do some more research and proper measurements. I was quickly able to find the problematic areas in my room with the help of my Grade report. I realized that monitors these expensive work best in treated rooms. The bass traps alone made a huge difference and I also moved the speakers and the sub several times until I got everything sound nice and tight.

You are also right about localization. I was initially offered a pair of the 7360s, sadly I thought I only needed one until I ran sine waves sweeps. I quickly learned from a prominent mix engineer that for audiophile/critical listening, having two subs is the way to go for sure. The said engineer was running a pair of PSI 17Ms and a pair of their A125 Subs. I heard the system myself and I can say the cohesiveness alone makes it worth it.

Top Bottom