• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331a vs KEF R3

Fairly new on here, so apologies for any incorrect thread posting locations or layout.

I have a decison to make with my future audio setup. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 G4's sat on a desk with a pair of Kanto SP6HD stands, and I was looking to upgrade my sound and style in a mostly symmetrical bedroom layout of just about < 25cm3, I'm looking for a pair of speakers that would work reasonably well at a listening distance of around 1-2m.

(speaker size doesn't matter as I have a large desk with about 35 inches of depth and push off room for the desk),

within a hard budget of £3300, but could, occasionally work well from a listening position of <4.5m in a 65cm3 smallish-medium sized living room for my own pleasure and entertainment purposes.

They would be paired with my computer initially but likely a good solid streamer in future like a bluenode or matrix audio mini-pro 3

I've narrowed my selection down to only a few speakers and I would ask what would you personally go for?

. Genelec 8331a with glm kit
. KEF R3's + mini dps + (???) amp - potentially A Topping LA90 or audiolab 6000a?

or
. Genelec 8340a's + GLM Kit

and as a side option that i am considering as well the genelec 8340's

I don't have any power amps but obviously if I can I don't want to use my entire budget unless it's really the best option.

anyone's thoughts on buying a pair of KEF r3's and upgrading the power amp in time as the better price/performance then the 8331a's?

Help on this decision would be much appreciated.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think you will be disappointed either way. One of my setups is quite similar. I went for the 8330s and a sub and I have no itch to make any changes at all however my maximum listening position is 2.5m for that room. If I was to regularly listen at 4m I would go for the 8341s (and have done in my HT system). The 8340s are similar but the 1s have a better off axis performance so if you move about a bit like I do that is worth considering. I like not having an amp and the GLM is excellent now with the Grade report to also help with acoustic treatments and optimise placement. The KEF R3s are also very nice but you do need an amp and you don't get the grade report.

OP
L
I don't think you will be disappointed either way. One of my setups is quite similar. I went for the 8330s and a sub and I have no itch to make any changes at all however my maximum listening position is 2.5m for that room. If I was to regularly listen at 4m I would go for the 8341s (and have done in my HT system). The 8340s are similar but the 1s have a better off axis performance so if you move about a bit like I do that is worth considering. I like not having an amp and the GLM is excellent now with the Grade report to also help with acoustic treatments and optimise placement. The KEF R3s are also very nice but you do need an amp and you don't get the grade report.
Cheer's, honestly if I could push my budget it wouldn't have been a contest, I would have settled with the 8341, have you heard the 8331? I'm told the sound is pretty much the same, bar SPL and Dynamics? I would pair any of these choices, svs 1000 or a rel.

Glad you like the sound of my potential system

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I am using the SVS3000 micro for the 8330s which I love because of the ability to tune it from the app while I am sitting in my listening position. The 8331 sounds the same as the 41 but you might notice the difference between them if you are listening critically at 4.5m. If it is just music on to fill the room and enjoy it will still be very sweet. I know the Genelec subs are expensive but it makes a huge difference (improvement) to have the sub fully integrated with the mains through GLM as I have just learned first hand so that is worth considering from my perspective (which may also be about my ability to tune a non-Genelec sub mind you).

If it a relevant consideration for you, the Genelecs will also hold their resale value very well given their application in professional systems....

Last edited:
OP
L
I am using the SVS3000 micro for the 8330s which I love because of the ability to tune it from the app while I am sitting in my listening position. The 8331 sounds the same as the 41 but you might notice the difference between them if you are listening critically at 4.5m. If it is just music on to fill the room and enjoy it will still be very sweet. I know the Genelec subs are expensive but it makes a huge difference (improvement) to have the sub fully integrated with the mains through GLM as I have just learned first hand so that is worth considering from my perspective (which may also be about my ability to tune a non-Genelec sub mind you).

If it a relevant consideration for you, the Genelecs will also hold their resale value very well given their application in professional systems....
Genelec are starting to sound like the better option although, I'm hoping someone in here can argue a case for the passive KEF as well. It's my nagging need to feel like I've explored/listened to both upgrade routes before making my decision. the R3 appeals to me because of it's multi use facits both as a nearfield and midfield living room speaker, I'd imagine it to exceed the sound coming from the 8331, that said, im by no means a critical listen but I do love music alot, and would love something that produces sound far above the quality of Rokits or similar JBL 305p mkii's but I feel I certainly will with these options. it would be interesting for someone to compare the R3 to the 8340 as i'd suppose they are in a similar price bracket 1.5K vs 2K

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I feel you. It is very difficult to make an objective assessment without an A/B in you actual listening space. The people who sell Genelecs rarely have domestic speakers and vica versa. The options you are considering will be a very noticeable improvement over the Rockits regardless. I am not familiar with the JBL 305ps. A pleasant conundrum nonetheless.....:)

G|force

Forum Donor
Welcome to the club.
I have used JBL LSR 308 v1 and they really are quite good out of the carton without corrections to the input signal, which in my experience at JBL Balboa Northridge can really make some magic.

My boss bought a pair of LSR 308 v1 for me and it was good but not as good as that first encounter. (I didn't have whatever they were doing to the signal)

I don't have any experience with 8331 but I don't hesitate to say that I believe what you said is correct in that the Ones have a family sound.

As you spend more, you can be farther away in a near field set and fill a larger space. All ones are nearfield.
I say the former from reputation, not experience but these are facts-

8331 and 8341 share the same coax
8351B and 8361 share the same coax
8331 has its own amplifier board.
8341 and 8351B share amplifier boards.
8361 has it's own amplifier board.
Price, cabinet volume, size of racetrack woofers and product weight differentiate the line of the 4 models.

I believe that the appearance has polarized people for a long time, down to the 8010. Some like it and some don't. Some work on them and don't care to use anything else in post or mastering, and others refuse to use it.
I wonder how many pros have a bias against grey aluminum cabs and metal tweeters that have not used GLM calibrated Ones.

They may sound boring or dry or thin in 5 minutes, but I can listen for hours and hours and hours.
If I bypass the GLM cal it sounds awesome and fully open, for 5 minutes.
I always go back to the cal.

Last edited:
OP
L
Welcome to the club.
I have used JBL LSR 308 v1 and they really are quite good out of the carton without corrections to the input signal, which in my experience at JBL Balboa Northridge can really make some magic.

My boss bought a pair of LSR 308 v1 for me and it was good but not as good as that first encounter. (I didn't have whatever they were doing to the signal)

I don't have any experience with 8331 but I don't hesitate to say that I believe what you said is correct in that the Ones have a family sound.

As you spend more, you can be farther away in a near field set and fill a larger space. All ones are nearfield.
I say the former from reputation, not experience but these are facts-

8331 and 8341 share the same coax
8351B and 8361 share the same coax
8331 has its own amplifier board.
8341 and 8351B share amplifier boards.
8361 has it's own amplifier board.
Price, cabinet volume, size of racetrack woofers and product weight differentiate the line of the 4 models.

I believe that the appearance has polarized people for a long time, down to the 8010. Some like it and some don't. Some work on them and don't care to use anything else in post or mastering, and others refuse to use it.
I wonder how many pros have a bias against grey aluminum cabs and metal tweeters that have not used GLM calibrated Ones.

They may sound boring or dry or thin in 5 minutes, but I can listen for hours and hours and hours.
If I bypass the GLM cal it sounds awesome and fully open, for 5 minutes.
I always go back to the cal.
I’ve heard similar technical specs that the 8341 stands in the 8351b’s “shadow” as it were, thanks for technical spec insight for the one’s family.

What model do you own, you say that the sound can for some people be boring? Would you describe the sound as clinical?

A few comments I’ve spotted around the internet suggest that a perfect setup, room acoustics and electronics paring with the Kef R3’s come close to the sound of an 8351b, very subjective imo and almost exaggerated give a near 5k diff, but I suppose possible but this is under “perfect” setup conditions.

It just sounds at the moment the Genelec in near field scenarios are far superior add the GLM kit and it’s a whopper of system.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Forum Donor
What model do you own, you say that the sound can for some people be boring? Would you describe the sound as clinical?

Genelec's don't "sound like" anything, and that is by design. As long as the recording is musical (or whatever it is supposed to be) that is what will be reproduced. One downside, if you can call it that, is that you can hear poorly recorded/engineered music and soundtracks more clearly which can detract from enjoyment. A few times I have started looking for something wrong in my system and its been the recording each time.

G|force

Forum Donor
I’ve heard similar technical specs that the 8341 stands in the 8351b’s “shadow” as it were, thanks for technical spec insight for the one’s family.

A few comments I’ve spotted around the internet suggest that a perfect setup, room acoustics and electronics paring with the Kef R3’s come close to the sound of an 8351b, very subjective imo and almost exaggerated give a near 5k diff, but I suppose possible but this is under “perfect” setup conditions.

It just sounds at the moment the Genelec in near field scenarios are far superior add the GLM kit and it’s a whopper of system.
I have a pair of '41's no subs. The no subs explanation can be found in my recent posts if you are interested why.

My saying 'family sound' was a poor choice of words. 'no sound' is much more accurate. It's not so much what they do, it is what they don't do.

This line of 4 products is scaled up from '31 to '61 where the only difference is the scale it's self. SPL, LF extension, carry weight and physical size. Price!

Mine are plunked down on the edge of a coffee table haphazardly in a room with negligible treatment, really an awful space from an acoustic sense. My GRADE report confirms that.
Sounds great in my little 1M triangular listening window as long as the SPL is low enough to not excite the room. <85dBSPL.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anyone's thoughts on buying a pair of KEF r3's and upgrading the power amp in time as the better price/performance then the 8331a's?

Yes, the price/performance ratio with the R3 is superior to 8331. And for stereo listening, there's no shortage of Dirac options that can do better than GLM. The R3 option also frees up some $ for subs, which I personally feel are required even if it's just to smooth out bass response via proper placement.

I don't feel Topping LA90 is worth the $. Lack of power in certain scenarios is easy to hear. .00x vs .0000x distortion, you cannot hear. If you find yourself listening to R3 at 4.5m often, a single LA90 might not do it. Purifi or NCore 502 would be my choice, lots available.

A few comments I’ve spotted around the internet suggest that ..... and electronics paring with the Kef R3’s come close to the sound of an 8351b

Sounds like you should ignore those particular comments - "electronics pairing" is typically nonsense provided basic criteria are being met. The 8351B is better in every way. Maybe not 4x better as price suggests, but undoubtedly better.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Genelec 8331a should be better if you're listening at a 1 meter distance or less in an intimate desk setting, I don't think the 8331a would win in any other situation.

OP
L
Yes, the price/performance ratio with the R3 is superior to 8331. And for stereo listening, there's no shortage of Dirac options that can do better than GLM. The R3 option also frees up some $ for subs, which I personally feel are required even if it's just to smooth out bass response via proper placement.

I don't feel Topping LA90 is worth the $. Lack of power in certain scenarios is easy to hear. .00x vs .0000x distortion, you cannot hear. If you find yourself listening to R3 at 4.5m often, a single LA90 might not do it. Purifi or NCore 502 would be my choice, lots available.

Sounds like you should ignore those particular comments - "electronics pairing" is typically nonsense provided basic criteria are being met. The 8351B is better in every way. Maybe not 4x better as price suggests, but undoubtedly better.
I spotted a setup with the Marantz PM7005, it sounded plenty loud for a living room setup and looked stunning and came in around the same cost, It certainly makes for a good argument to just go for the bigger speaker, and pair it with dirac.

I heard the NCore 502 provided very coloured sound and lacked. bass punch and leant towards being very foward from a few reviewers

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard the NCore 502 provided very coloured sound and lacked. bass punch and leant towards being very foward from a few reviewers

Try this instead:

Peluvius

Forum Donor
The Genelec 8331a should be better if you're listening at a 1 meter distance or less in an intimate desk setting, I don't think the 8331a would win in any other situation.

This link contains accurate data on monitor design parameters:

The SPL is impacted as you move away but I don't know many people who listen at reference levels so that's entirely a personal preference.

Top Bottom