• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331A Powered SAM Studio Monitor Review (by Erin)

In a small room, the 8331a will be enough, unless you listen very loud.
Thanks for your feedback, what do you think about the idea listening 5 * 8331 + one or two subs at the same time instead of a pair of 8361A, do you think it will be more immersive ?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Surround is always more immersive. But a lot (99%) of music is stereo only.

For movies, you have atmos with height speakers which is next level immersive, but you’ll need even more speakers - very costly with genelec ones.

In my hometheater I’ve made the choice to have a rather cheap surround system (still a lot of money) and an expensive stereo system. I rather have top notch stereo sound than surround.

Ao another option for you: use genelecs 8030 for surround and keep your fantastic 8361 for stereo. For surround, a sub is always needed.

Thank a lot for sharing what setup you did and why :)
I agree, maximum 5 units of 8331 and then adding some cheaper speaker for aerial. But I could also keep the 8361 and add 3 *8331, one for center voice, two for Rears Left and right, could be nice.

What I like about going full small speaker is to get a setup less heavy visually (especially without the stand). Also I need to take in consideration if 8331 mount to a wall will pass vibration into the wall to my neighbours ? With my Sound Anchor Stand no issue with the 8361 at moderate volume.

the most important thing I need to understand is if connecting 8361 digitally (as it seems there is only one XLR port input) will I be able to monitor without too much latency the analog output of my console > going into A/D of my converter > AES output card of the converter to Genelec speakers ?
My upcoming analog console isn't yet arrived but I think with my 8361A I could use GML to with from both Analog XLR in to Digital XLR input ?

thanks for helping me :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This speaker include a high pass filter 80hz??
a pair of these with dual subs seems to be interesting idea
You would use this with GLM and yes you can filter.

LukeD

View attachment 192606

Thought I would just add as someone who has been using these as part of a living room setup sat at over 2 metres. A pair of Genelec 8331A's, a Genelec 7350A Sub and room correction provided by GLM. All fed digitally (COAX to AES) via a Yamaha WXC-50. This gets loud, I have had to trim the input on the speakers by 35db.

I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).

View attachment 192606

Thought I would just add as someone who has been using these as part of a living room setup sat at over 2 metres. A pair of Genelec 8331A's, a Genelec 7350A Sub and room correction provided by GLM. All fed digitally (COAX to AES) via a Yamaha WXC-50. This gets loud, I have had to trim the input on the speakers by 35db.

I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).
As others have said - nice set up! I was wondering what the speaker stands were? Wouldn't mind a pair for my 8040b's....

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 192606

47C15E18-CA1A-4B40-8303-7B6726FF8E2B.jpeg

A nice setup.:)

My comments: Better sound can be had If one attenuate the volume slider to -30 dB in GLM ( This attenuation is after the dsp crossover which is good ) and save it into the speakers. Then one can use the spdif digital output with volume regulation from the Yamaha wxc50 in a livingroom.

This will bring a very good sound, but it can be slightly bettered with a computer and a good DDC ( my experience ) .

Last edited:

squ1gs

View attachment 245004

A nice setup.:)

My comments: Better sound can be had If one attenuate the volume slider to -30 dB in GLM ( This attenuation is after the dsp crossover which is good ) and save it into the speakers. Then one can use the spdif digital output with volume regulation from the Yamaha wxc50 in a livingroom.

This will bring a very good sound, but it can be slightly bettered with a computer and a good DDC ( my experience ) .
You are correct and that's exactly how I have it set up : )

Marc v E

Major Contributor
View attachment 192606

Very nice setup.

I would guess that the high spl requirements come from official specs used for reference movie sound. Using a sub as you do should relieve your monitors of some bass duties and would therefore create more room for spl (?)

Last edited:

squ1gs

Very nice setup.

I would guess that the high spl requirements come from official specs used for reference movie sound. Using a sub as you do should releave your monitors of some bass duties and would therefore create more room for spl (?)
There's definitely an emphasis on ensuring speaker/ monitors meet these reference SPL's, even if impractical for smaller spaces, prolonged listening or the fact that most people have neighbours!

Combining a sub makes an even bigger difference for small speakers likes these 8331A's, relieving them any need play frequencies below 60hz (could make this much higher with GLM but a smooth response has to be considered).

Last edited:

squ1gs

@squ1gs

But what are those stands? :)
Ah, they're a pair of "Custom Design" stands from the 90's I picked up off eBay for £60. I then got a small supplier to cut 2 oak squares (around £10 each) and simply stuck them on top. Here's a link to a new pair, I would go the used route!

Last edited:

Hmast

These are just general design challenges though and f ex Genelec has obviously overcome them with the design of the 8361A.
Could you explain why exactly with 8361 and not 8331? Both are 3 ways, so I don’t get the difference in that aspect.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you explain why exactly with 8361 and not 8331? Both are 3 ways, so I don’t get the difference in that aspect.
The quoted sentence is referring to reduced output for coaxials compared to non-coaxials, mainly. The 8331A's output is nothing special, in fact if you look at Erin's review of it and compare it to 5" 2-ways like the JBL 305P it compresses earlier.

The 8361A on the other hand has pretty crazy output, competitive with similarly sized non-coaxial designs from competitors like the KH420.

The purpose of the 8331A is to be really small and it does that. It's a neat achievement to fit a 3-way into something that small, but it doesn't do anything unusual in terms of SPL.

JiiPee

Sorry, but I find this SPL-thing is continuing to ad nauseam. Sure, there are people who wan't higher max SPL levels than 8331s can provide. That's why Genelec has the bigger 83X1 models in their portfolio. Then again, many of us find the small 8331 perfectly loud enough for our purposes.

Yes - they are not cheap, but the sound quality, adaptability, build quality, life span, high resale value etc... justifies the price.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The quoted sentence is referring to reduced output for coaxials compared to non-coaxials, mainly. The 8331A's output is nothing special, in fact if you look at Erin's review of it and compare it to 5" 2-ways like the JBL 305P it compresses earlier.

The 8361A on the other hand has pretty crazy output, competitive with similarly sized non-coaxial designs from competitors like the KH420.

The purpose of the 8331A is to be really small and it does that. It's a neat achievement to fit a 3-way into something that small, but it doesn't do anything unusual in terms of SPL.
I'd call 96dB a toss up because we're arguing something smaller than the difference in frequency response irregularities... Plus if the additional hiss of the JBL is adding even a decibel to it's sound output, perhaps we should penalize it there too?

Then at 102dB the JBL 305 is off the chart, while the Genelec can still play from 80-6000hz or so, which I think is a win for the Genelec.

Except for not having compact/normal size coaxial drivers with compression tweeters, there are zero inherent disadvantages to coaxial drivers besides not having very wide dispersion which is likely also not any sort of inherent disadvantages but something that Genelec/KEF haven't decided to do.

JBL 305P MkII_Compression.png
Genelec 8331A_Compression.png

Harryharryharry

Just ordered some 8331s in white heavily discounted at Back in the UK at the moment!

I'm wondering about GLM Vs Dirac, any thoughts here?

I have one svs sb100 pro sub (will get another for this setup) and a minidsp flex in my office I can use in the living room.

Option A:

2 X SVS sb1000 used - £600
1 X minidsp flex with Dirac - £700
Total cost £1300

Option B:
2 X genelec 7050 used - £1200
1 X GLM - £250
1 X preamp - £250
Total cost £1700

Is GLM worth the extra expense? I've read long threads in the past comparing with not much conclusion. I think there was some trends of people saying Dirac is slightly better but more faff.

Also I already have the flex and one SVS sub so not much more to spend... That probably tips it tbh

napfkuchen

The Gen 7050 is not GLM compatible, you'll need the 7350.

dj94030

Just ordered some 8331s in white heavily discounted at Back in the UK at the moment!

I'm wondering about GLM Vs Dirac, any thoughts here?

I have one svs sb100 pro sub (will get another for this setup) and a minidsp flex in my office I can use in the living room.

Option A:

2 X SVS sb1000 used - £600
1 X minidsp flex with Dirac - £700
Total cost £1300

Option B:
2 X genelec 7050 used - £1200
1 X GLM - £250
1 X preamp - £250
Total cost £1700

Is GLM worth the extra expense? I've read long threads in the past comparing with not much conclusion. I think there was some trends of people saying Dirac is slightly better but more faff.

Also I already have the flex and one SVS sub so not much more to spend... That probably tips it tbh
1 click GLM in stereo is same or better than manual tampering with REW. And definitely much more convenient.

Harryharryharry

1 click GLM in stereo is same or better than manual tampering with REW. And definitely much more convenient.
How would you compare it with Dirac? I'm not planning on manual rew tinkering (other than what's needed for integrating subs with the flex)

dj94030

How would you compare it with Dirac? I'm not planning on manual rew tinkering (other than what's needed for integrating subs with the flex)
Tried dirac once on another system. Didn't like and went with audiolense. Now only using glm.

Top Bottom