• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330A Review (Studio Monitor)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Question about GLM kit.

Looks like it is about $300.
I have another set of speakers, for which I plan to get Dirac for room correction. Can Genelec kit be used with another speaker set (not Genelec) for room correction (I use PC as a source)? Or is it exclusively for their own brand?

Thanks
Not that I know of, unless you can figure out the calibration file for the Genelec mic.

MaxRockbin

x
Thanks for this long-time awaited review!
8030C and 8320 got the top panther, but not this one? Weird, but comparison side-by-side was not possible I guess.
It would be great to see a review of the 8340A since the 8030/8330 seem underpowered for mid-field,. 8340A: Dual 150W class D amps - vs 90/90 AB amps in the 8040B and 50/50 D in 8030/8330. I would ship one out to Amir if I had one :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
x

It would be great to see a review of the 8340A since the 8030/8330 seem underpowered for mid-field,. 8340A: Dual 150W class D amps - vs 90/90 AB amps in the 8040B and 50/50 D in 8030/8330. I would ship one out to Amir if I had one :)
I would rather see a review of the 8350 though. The tweeter and the woofer match better.

MaxRockbin

YSC

Major Contributor
As far as I'm aware (could be wrong, but I do own the 8320) the GLM interface can only be used with Genelec speakers. That said, if you're running your speakers from a computer you could save on the GLM and just EQ them yourself.
but then the GLM is a really quick way to calibrate them compared to other means, so it's worth it when you want to easily do the calibration without the troubles

MaxRockbin

save on the GLM and just EQ them yourself.
Dirac, Sonarworks, GLM and other room correction software claims maybe the biggest improvement is in the time domain.
Impulse response/room reverb/loudspeaker decay. Can't fix it with EQ.

KaLam1ty

I absolutely adore these monitors.
I also completely agree if anyone says a sub is almost required to get the most out of them.

I only own the 8330a's and 7350a for nearfield; but judging by the other Genelec reviews and my limited experience, Genelec's really need to be experienced as a "package". Again, not saying you can't be happy with just the 2.0, but the extra headroom and placement flexibility makes a world of difference.. And of course the missing low end...

When it comes to the smaller Genelecs, I think if anyone is interested in their line, it would be wise to consider whatever future investment may be needed for one of their subs if going GLM, or something easy to integrate. Unfortunately not cheap though.

For your entertainment, here are some photos from a few months back during 4.0 GLM calibration. I know I know.. the glass desk isn't doing any wonders. This was not originally a listening space, but with the whole WFH situation, I needed something that could be flexible with my office space:
index.php

index.php

Also, very interesting to see expectations from floor-bounce response matching almost exact with the above measurements (..again... Glass desk not helping haha!):
index.php

I plan to do a 4.1 test and compare - though I'm also in the means of packing a messy room, so I'm not sure if it'd be a fair 1:1 comparison. I'll share when I can spare the moment.

In any case, I am truly happy with these Genelecs. My new home comes up early next year, where I plan to put together an actual listening room with the 8351b's.

Trell

Major Contributor
Great! Here are my GLM measurements of 8330 which I use as surrounds. It shows a peak at 1,8 KHZ as well (more prominent on my right speaker which is in a corner => probably refections?). Also here is my room set up.

First image is left surround and the second image is right surround.
View attachment 147117

If you upgrade to GLM 4.1 you can have a positive tilting low shelf with up to +3 dB for the 8330A, and you don't need that high shelf you've set from 100 Hz.

bennybbbx

this have a nice looking impulse response. when do a impulse response from overall system there can not see the diffrence between tweeter and mid woofer. or can somebody explain it on the other speakers tests (kef and the impulse response is see ?. When have only a impulse of whole system it seem better to use step response. this show more. please look at step response explain. here he explain that step response show diffrence between woofer and tweeter and how this can see.

https://audiojudgement.com/loudspeaker-step-response-measurement/

This is a typical chart you will see on a 2-way speaker. There is an initial sharp positive peak in the step response, followed by an undershoot, and then, a larger, more slow rising, positive peak. The first peak is produced by the tweeter, and the second is produced by the mid-bass. Although the drivers are connected with the same polarity, and the speakers are placed flush on the same baffle, their acoustical centers are not aligned. The speakers are not time coherent, and the mid-bass lags the tweeter by a few fractions of a millisecond.

This 2-way loudspeaker step response is very common. Although there is a short delay between the two drivers, don’t be surprised if you will find such response on expensive loudspeakers. Achieving a perfect step response, might compromise the frequency response. As a result, most manufacturers tend to not shoot for perfection in this area.

Kervel

Forum Donor
The benefit of GLM and SAM speakers is that you can store the measurements directly in the speakers and you do not need any external hardware always connected.
Exactly. If you have multiple sources, like streamer and TV, all benefit from the same EQ.

Kurzweil

It would be great to see a review of the 8340A since the 8030/8330 seem underpowered for mid-field,. 8340A: Dual 150W class D amps - vs 90/90 AB amps in the 8040B and 50/50 D in 8030/8330.

The thing people may overlook is that for many Genelecs the power supply is the weak point, not the amplifiers. The 8030C and 8330A have a 50 watt power supply that probably outputs around 45W to be used for the entire speaker. The two times 50 watt amps in the speakers will never reach their full potential. I know the tweeter does not use much power but even the woofer amplifier does not get the power it could use.

uwotm8

I'm curious of reasons why "truly scientific" Genelec have no infrasonic/high pass filter while "audiofool" Dynaudio does and feel OK with "killer tracks":p

In before: Genelecs are made for polite people who listens quietly

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious of reasons why "truly scientific" Genelec have no infrasonic/high pass filter

Not sure why you're trying so hard to troll, but they do. You can set a high pass at any frequency(50-100hz, 5hz increments) in GLM if you want, in addition to shelf filters. Subwoofer not required. Most other models have physical bass roll off and tilt switches as well.

Amir does not typically test any speaker with optional features enabled.

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
GLM versus software solutions is a pointless debate, in that both are awesome options.
If you want the simplicity of it all done in the speaker no matter the source then GLM is the obvious choice.
If all your sources go through a pc and you want to save money then go software solution.

I would like to see what could be achieved with both in action simultaneously.

testp

GLM versus software solutions is a pointless debate, in that both are awesome options.
If you want the simplicity of it all done in the speaker no matter the source then GLM is the obvious choice.
If all your sources go through a pc and you want to save money then go software solution.

I would like to see what could be achieved with both in action simultaneously.

i'd mostly agree, but there is a nagging thing about GLM kit approach for me atleast, no-PC setup with Genelecs, i need their volume control from their remote and its akward, small cheap remote, unless i can use a custom remote, this is not what i want to use, ever...

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm curious of reasons why "truly scientific" Genelec have no infrasonic/high pass filter while "audiofool" Dynaudio does and feel OK with "killer tracks":p

In before: Genelecs are made for polite people who listens quietly
The Dyns don't extend as low. In fact, Dyns tend to roll off fairly early for their size. Size, low end extension, SPL capability. Pick two.

Sprint

Forum Donor
you could also go with 8030C/8040 and minidsp shd, has dirac and volume control...

8040 has 90W Class AB amp for the woofer. 8340 has 150W Class D amp. IMO, 8340 will be an upgrade compared to 8040. Moreover 8340 compared to 8030C will have better bass extension. so, if the listening distance is like mine around 3meters, 8340 will do a better job than 8040 or 8030C without factoring GLM.

Top Bottom