• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330A Review (Studio Monitor)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Just wondering if there have been any developments? :cool:

Zenek73

Do you think does it make sense to buy 8330 instead of 8030 for someone who mainly listen not very loudly and even if for such listening I prefer headphones? I suspect that bass problems appears during loud listening but maybe I'm wrong? Price difference is more than 50% and I don't like spending my money on feature I done need (or probably I use only once but volume knob I can buy and connect to GLM is an interesting invention tbh :))

zym1010

Forum Donor
Do you think does it make sense to buy 8330 instead of 8030 for someone who mainly listen not very loudly and even if for such listening I prefer headphones? I suspect that bass problems appears during loud listening but maybe I'm wrong? Price difference is more than 50% and I don't like spending my money on feature I done need (or probably I use only once but volume knob I can buy and connect to GLM is an interesting invention tbh :))
Comparing GLM on vs. GLM off, I think the difference is quite obvious. I don't listen loudly at all and the difference is obvious.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had both. I started with a pair of 8030C and changed to a pair of 8330A with GLM. The difference is significant and worth the price in my opinion. Best set up is to feed it digital from your source so there’s only one D to A.

juliangst

RME ADI-2 Pro FS can also do volume on AES/EBU

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I see but with that one could also do without GLM right?

Tangband

Major Contributor
I see but with that one could also do without GLM right?
If you use a digital volume control at the source with a digital spdif signal, - for best sound its good advice to use the GLM kit and lower the slider volume ( which is after the dsp crossover ) to - 30 dB , and save it into the speakers. Then you can disconnect the GLM kit. This trick works also with a laptop+DDC, and also with Yamaha wxc50 with variable volume control from the spdif output.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
How do you do volume control in such an arrangement?
GLM also gives you the option to use a wired knob or wireless volume. That’s my setup with the 8330A.

I have a Pi running Roon (client) -> U90 -> 8330A. Also connected is GLM allowing me to control volume at the speakers with Genelec’s wireless remote.

(you just need a device that can output digital out through USB, e.g., an iPad)

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you do bass management yourself with REW + EqualizerAPO the 8030 might be enough.

sajgre

After 7 weeks of waiting (local store, no stock) I finally got 8330 raw (with 7350, stands and glm kit). I LOOOVE the build quality of monitors and a sub.
Glm setup was very simple and fast. I'm using them in desktop nearfield setup.
As for the sound, it was all already written... smooth, effortless, amazing detail. Listening position is on the mezzanine (indoor balcony for non Eng natives as myself :) ) and room behind me is huge but in nearfield they get uncomfortable loud. It is not "I listen at low levels and don't need more", it is painful for me to listen as loud as they can play.
They play lovely without a sub but once you turn it on, you can't live without. Btw without GLM sub would be completely useless, I have a 20db peak at 30hz. It is unlistenable if I turn off calibration.
Wired knob is smooth as butter and now I hate using remote for my main system. I want knob by the sofa as well :)

I have a big computer desk but I wouldn't want speakers any bigger.

As for the looks.... I know lots of people find them ugly. For me there is nothing that comes close to Genelec in raw finish. I believe one can achieve very good sound much cheaper but 8xxx series in raw is timeless and I wasn't even considering other great and cheaper monitors.

Anyways, thanks to ASR I have 2 great setups now that I wouldn't have otherwise!

changer

If I connect turntable (with phono-preamp) to XLR analog in and the both speakers with the AES through, will the other receive the signal from the turntable?

Trell

Major Contributor
If I connect turntable (with phono-preamp) to XLR analog in and the both speakers with the AES through, will the other receive the signal from the turntable?
No, that won’t work, if I understood you correctly.

The reason that you connect the AES cable from one monitor to the next is that the cable has a digital stereo signal coming from the source.

For analogue you have to connect each monitor with a separate cable to left and right monitor from the source.

Last edited:

changer

Okay, I was wishful that analog was transferred digitally after A/D conversion in DAC. Any solution how to use a streamer over AES in and also a turntable without the need to connect with two analog cables?

Trell

Major Contributor
Okay, I was wishful that analog was transferred digitally after A/D conversion in DAC. Any solution how to use a streamer over AES in and also a turntable without the need to connect with two analog cables?

If your steamer have analogue inputs that could work, but that is not the case I guess.

I do own two 8330 desktop setups, one of them with a 7360 sub, so I’m biased. Both of them with analogue input, and it sounds great.

changer

Problem is the cable, cannot run two through the room (client’s). Tip with input at streamer is good.

Zenek73

Hello :) I bought the speakers + GLM. And I have question. I wanted to compare my old speakers with Genelec trying set both to the same volume. I used GLM microphone to do it properly. But is it normal that in "silent" room dbspl registered by microphone is minimum 50? I expected much lower value.

Top Bottom