• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330A Review (Studio Monitor)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As with the LS50 Meta, more wigglyness in the 1-3k region than I expected but probably due to high resolution?

Here are Genelecs in-house measurements of the 8330A:
Screenshot_20210812_072044.jpg

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Thanks. Was expecting a bit better, but for me (ultra) near field listening + sub + GLM = sweet sound to my ears.

Tangband

Major Contributor
My own measurements on axis shows a ruler flat response in the crossover region of Genelec 8330. 1/6 oct smoothing . I used a Line audio OM1 microphone , flat within +-1 dB 20-20000 Hz.
3CFFCAD5-01BC-425B-A2C4-5BD208929B4F.jpeg
2A70E7FB-91A9-49FC-B5B2-D1789DF04B66.jpeg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As with the LS50 Meta, more wigglyness in the 1-3k region than I expected but probably due to high resolution?
Possibly. I have sent the data to them but didn't want to hold up the review for it. Getting a hold of companies during summer is difficult given the vacations....

Tangband

Major Contributor
Absolutelly upgrade. The 8330 are superior to the 8030 because of the GLM room correction. If you apply room correction with some other means, then that’s a different case. I upgraded my 8030 first to 8330 and the improvement was huge, thanks to room correction. Later I upgraded to 8331 and there was improvement yes, but not nearly as much as with the first upgrade.
Yes , and one good thing with GLM is that you can go in manually and, if you want, correct exactly and digitaly for the peak that Amirm found . You can also , apart from using peq in the whole register, also use shelving in the tweeter area , ie bring the soundbalance absolutely right depending on the room.

FeddyLost

Can't figure out why the woofer response is sloping down and then rising. That is responsible for on-axis response going above flat response.
Looks like soft break-up/zonal mode of "not rigid" woofer.
If woofer is paper/composite and distortion/FR is within accepted margins, it could be allowed by design group due to same reasons you mentioned: audible improvement most probably was not big enough to prefer more complex filtering.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hmm…. Is it a pure coincident that ls50 meta and Genelec 8330a shows the same peak at 1,8 Khz ?
Amirm - are you shure there is nothing wrong with your klippel calibration ? You also have
the same small peak at about 12 KHz and 16 KHz .

1B4C7905-BEA6-4769-B700-4052F23DE97E.png
31054E33-6E8B-4616-8BFF-9573CCA03FBD.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmm…. Is it a pure coincident that ls50 meta and Genelec 8330a shows the same peak at 1,8 Khz ?
Amirm - are you shure there is nothing wrong with your klippel calibration ? You also have
the same small peak at about 12 KHz and 16 KHz .
These are a bit ad-hoc measurements with sticking the microphone in front of the driver. Maybe there are some reflections going on that happen to be similar in both. There is nothing to calibrate here. Note that these are simple sweeps with none of the normal Klippel wizardry in play.

Tangband

Major Contributor
These are a bit ad-hoc measurements with sticking the microphone in front of the driver. Maybe there are some reflections going on that happen to be similar in both. There is nothing to calibrate here. Note that these are simple sweeps with none of the normal Klippel wizardry in play.
Ok - thanks for the response.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Amirm - it would be really interesting if you tried GLM on this loudspeaker to make corrections at 1,8 KHz to see how good it can get.

Trell

Major Contributor
GLM testing is planned...

Do you plan to use the latest version GLM 4.1 for testing? You might have to update the firmware of the GLM Kit as well as the monitors for this to work properly.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this long-time awaited review!
8030C and 8320 got the top panther, but not this one? Weird, but comparison side-by-side was not possible I guess.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for this long-time awaited review!
8030C and 8320 got the top panther, but not this one? Weird, but comparison side-by-side was not possible I guess.
Tonally it is just as good. I am just bothered by the limited power availability.

Lewzke

I tend to go towards the 8030C with EQ APO, much cheaper and I got good results with 8020D too. I think the built in DSP correction is a little overrated, why not to correct at the PC level? The only real advantage for GLM is that you dont have to mess around the operating system level EQ and the trouble that can cause in a studio environment, for professional enviroment it is important to have the GLM. For hobbist it is just not a big concern. The digital domain is complicated, but the EQ APO gives me good results. I even think that the GLM cannot match a superbly configured software EQ, because you have more filters and options for the corrections.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I tend to go towards the 8030C with EQ APO, much cheaper and I got good results with 8020D too. I think the built in DSP correction is a little overrated, why not to correct at the PC level? The only real advantage for GLM is that you dont have to mess around the operating system level EQ and the trouble that can cause in a studio environment, for professional enviroment it is important to have the GLM. For hobbist it is just not a big concern. The digital domain is complicated, but the EQ APO gives me good results. I even think that the GLM cannot match a superbly configured software EQ, because you have more filters and options for the corrections.

While external EQ can work very well I didn't want to use PC software and GLM works very well for me. I even have a Genelec SAM subwoofer to one set of 8330A.

Top Bottom