• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330A Measurements. (Is the issue resolved?)

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Sorry, I can't see where sample B comes from, so both A and B are from the owner as a pair? wondering are the serial no. differs significantly.

Since both sample A and B are with GLM I bet it was not GLM corrected but sample B is what I would consider on axis anechoic flat response with only +1db shelf, while Amirm's review sample and sample have a peak ~3db (still within +/-3db but the peak is what I would consider defect in Genelec 8x3x).

it seems like either sample B is actually with the latest firmware correctly identifying the problematic unit and fixed it, or it used a correct facility to do the factory calibration.
Yes you are correct in your understanding.
Both samples were purchased new by their owners at one time.

Sample A also had a newer version of the firmware, but I observed similar behavior to the samples Amir measured.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
So GLM does something to the issue.

But it is not fixing it correctly. And now there is sample to sample difference in all 8330. Correct?
Exactly!

YSC

Major Contributor
Yes you are correct in your understanding.
Both samples were purchased new by their owners at one time.

Sample A also had a newer version of the firmware, but I observed similar behavior to the samples Amir measured.
Funny that the newer version firmware is doing that, would like to see how genelec respond, it sounds like they come from different calibration lines and one is defective in a constant manner

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sample B looks comparable to Genelec's own measurements. There is a rise at 1-3khz and given it's in their own measurements and they didn't EQ it out, I assume a little rise there is intentional.

Sample A is definitely not right.

8330_horizontal_response.png

Why? I don't know, if I had to guess it's compensation for the narrowed directivity between 1-4khz which is present in this speaker.

8330A_horizontal_directivity.png

YSC

Major Contributor
Sample B looks comparable to Genelec's own measurements. There is a rise at 1-3khz and given it's in their own measurements and they didn't EQ it out, I assume a little rise there is intentional.

Sample A is definitely not right.

8330_horizontal_response.png

Why? I don't know, if I had to guess it's compensation for the narrowed directivity between 1-4khz which is present in this speaker.

8330A_horizontal_directivity.png
most likely, stay within +/- 1db and slightly compensate minor directivity error in that region seems reasonable to do so, the 3db peak in sample A is not right though

GNK

Has anyone emailed Genelec about this topic?
It's been over 7 days since I emailed them, and still got no response.(far from their usual 1-2 day response.)

YSC

Major Contributor
Has anyone emailed Genelec about this topic?
It's been over 7 days since I emailed them, and still got no response.(far from their usual 1-2 day response.)
same here, no reply yet but less than a week, I hope they are diving deep into the issue and not to prematurely respond with uncertain answers, as this item should have been marked "fixed" within their old record.

Reactions: GNK

YSC

Major Contributor
Just got reply from Genelec:

Thank you for reaching us, and apologies for the very late reply. It took some time to look into this. We are interested to hear more about this, but we would like to discuss directly with the owner of speakers that are claiming about possible problem, so we can look into all details such as firmware versions, serial numbers and GLM calibrations. It would be great if he could reach out to us directly, so we could look into this matter in details.

There should not be any problem using 8330A speakers, and speakers should work properly.

So if @Nuyes could ask his customer/friend to reach out to genelec and see what they are doing would be the best to see if they really is trying or have a fix on hand.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Just got reply from Genelec:

Thank you for reaching us, and apologies for the very late reply. It took some time to look into this. We are interested to hear more about this, but we would like to discuss directly with the owner of speakers that are claiming about possible problem, so we can look into all details such as firmware versions, serial numbers and GLM calibrations. It would be great if he could reach out to us directly, so we could look into this matter in details.

There should not be any problem using 8330A speakers, and speakers should work properly.

So if @Nuyes could ask his customer/friend to reach out to genelec and see what they are doing would be the best to see if they really is trying or have a fix on hand.
Thank you for your efforts.
I will forward this to the owner.

Anti-Climacus

My god, are you guys really obsessing over 1 or 2 dbs here and there and whether the 8330 measures worse than the 8030 and bla bla bla?

Have you seen a real measurement in a real untreated room and the huge dips and shelves (up to 15 db or more even!) especially below the Schroeder frequency?

You are all missing the elephant in the room which is the huge advantage of the GLM room correction software (and any such software for that matter) the 8330 comes with whereas in the 8030 you have only some basic, crude room eq switches. Unless you can use REW by yourself, in which case the point is moot. But again I imagine the GLM will be extremely helpful also when you want to properly integrate a subwoofer in your system (it will be time and phase aligned, good luck doing that alone as a noob with REW and Rephase and all that!).

So yes, we strive for perfection in the anechoic measurements (especially from a company such as Genelec and the prices they offer) but one should in addition be able to put things in a perspective from time to time and not get too carried away, pedantically obsessing over the graphs and the small deviations from the ideal. I see so many threads go very quickly into this rabbit hole of audiophilia nervosa, it is a pity really!

Top Bottom