• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8330, what else?

redprag

Hi! I think I am going to buy a pair of the Genelec 8330. It is for my living room. No tv, only music.

What else do I need? I plan to stream music from Apple Music. And I own a record player. Do I need a dac? How can I connect the record player too? Do I need an amplifier?

Btw: do you think it’s OK to go with these speakers in living room? I sometimes have the feeling they may be for desktop and/or music production?

Apologies for the newbie’s questions! Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
What else do I need? I plan to stream music from Apple Music. And I own a record player. Do I need a dac? How can I connect the record player too? Do I need an amplifier?
Here's one possible setup:
Blank diagram.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks @staticV3! What if I skip preamp, because the turntable has an integrated. How will I do volume control?
Either with a knob that's built into the turntable (if yours has one), or with the WiiM App.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you may be happier with a 8350 in a living room environment.

Bigger better bass and wider room filling sound.

Just my opinion.

chelgrian

Hi! I think I am going to buy a pair of the Genelec 8330. It is for my living room. No tv, only music.

Btw: do you think it’s OK to go with these speakers in living room? I sometimes have the feeling they may be for desktop and/or music production?

So you don't need a DAC because the Genelec have built in DACs feeding a digital signal in to them is the best way to drive them.

They also have built in Room EQ which is what the GLM kit that another poster referred to is for. This does require a computer to setup but it doesn't need to be connected after the initial setup.

GLM can also be used to control the volume and Genelec sell this knob for it

If you wish to use Apple Music be aware that the only way to get lossless from it is via the USB output of an iPhone/iPad or Mac.

Thus you would need something that can take an analogue in from your turntable and a USB in from an Apple device and output S/PDIF which can then be converted to AES with a simple cable. I'm not sure I know of such a device at reasonable cost.

chelgrian

The other possibility, which is much cheaper, is to get a USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK converter such as the
Nobsound Douk Audio U2 USB Converter

Then the WiiM pro mentioned above, or any other streamer or digital preamp with a coax or optical digital input would work.

Trell

Major Contributor

As you would sit further away from the monitors than for desktop use, I'd consider the 8340 or the 8350 instead of the 8330A, even if you later on decide on getting a subwoofer as well. There is much content above 100 Hz and the 8340/8350 will handle that better at a distance.

I've two pairs of 8330A (each with a Genelec subwoofer) for desktop use (mine and my wife's) and we're quite happy with that but for living room I would choose something bigger than the 8330A.

Top Bottom