• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

Trell

Major Contributor
Unfortunately these don’t have AES3 digital in like the 8330 and up, only analog in - which is then straight AD converted for its DSP processing, the main benefit compared to the 8020.

I've the 8330A and use the analog in only, and for me the main benefit over 8030C is the GLM Kit with auto calibration and integration with a Genelec subwoofer.

markb

I've the 8330A and use the analog in only, and for me the main benefit over 8030C is the GLM Kit with auto calibration and integration with a Genelec subwoofer.
Yes... that’s enabled by the DSP processing. :)

I am considering swapping out my old 8020As for a pair of new 8320s to integrate them with GLM as surrounds in the rest of my SAM system. The SAM monitors also have a few ms of delay compared to their analog counterparts, which needs to be dealt with.

Trell

Major Contributor
Too large for computer desk imo

My small home office with two pairs of 8330A, and a single 7360A subwoofer under the desk in right hand corner.

Edit: I considered buying the 8320A but I could fit the 8330A easily, so I went with those. The 8340A, however, is physically too big for my desktop without moving the desk more out from the wall, otherwise I would be listening from less than the Genelec recommended minimum distance. It's pretty tight as it is.

home_office.jpg

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
I am surprised that even though it has 4 inch woofer and waveguide it still has a bit directivity issue around crossover. Should not happen with genelec.:confused:

It's good in the horizontal axis which is arguably the most important. The vertical behaviour exaggerates the DI. I did a mono test of the anologue G2 vs the KH80. No clear winner to me. Both sound fine tonally.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's good in the horizontal axis which is arguably the most important. The vertical behaviour exaggerates the DI. I did a mono test of the anologue G2 vs the KH80. No clear winner to me. Both sound fine tonally.
I agree the vertical does make the directivity worse, but there are still some horizontal issue at around 7k Hz. Not a big problem but could be better, but then it will be cutting sales of their other speaker....

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is small and has a relatively high F6, but that is truly not great distortion behavior at 86dB below 200hz. Audible? Maybe not. But certainly I expect better from Genelec.
The panther is inappropriate because of the distortion....8030 is way better

Hi

I mean!... Really!? That kind of performance from a 4 inch woofer/midrange capable of hitting nearfield, 60 Hz and .. we are complaining? , expecting better ? :rolleyes:
Perhaps they should give them away, then we will be satisfied?

Come on people! This is a nearfield monitor with a 4 inches...let me repeat this in metric, with a 105 mm woofer and we expected more output in the bass and lower THD .. in the bass?

Perspective is required in any evaluation. People, Perspective!

Peace

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
I agree the vertical does make the directivity worse, but there are still some horizontal issue at around 7k Hz. Not a big problem but could be better, but then it will be cutting sales of their other speaker....

There's no such thing as perfection :)

beagleman

Major Contributor
Hi

I mean!... Really!? That kind of performance from a 4 inch woofer/midrange capable of hitting nearfield, 60 Hz and .. we are complaining? , expecting better ? :rolleyes:

Come on people! This is a nearfield monitor with a 4 inches...let me repeat this in metric, with a 105 mm woofer and we expected more output in the bass and lower THD .. in the bass?

peace

I somewhat agree.....except......

$1,200 a pair, takes it way out of the realm of "Just a small 4" woofer" in a speaker.

Not saying they compare for real, but I have owned cheapo shelf systems, with 4" woofers that could do loud deep bass, and cost very little.
Maybe expectations are different when $1,200 is spent.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hi

peace
Consider two things here.
1, the cost. They're $1250 a pair new.
2, the competition. Neumann KH80s are right around the same price point (maybe a bit cheaper, even) and their distortion performance is far better.

Labjr

Major Contributor
It's no wonder there are a lot of look-alikes out there. Just not sound-alikes.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Genelec 8320a powered "smart" monitor (speaker). It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me for testing and costs US $625 each.

It should come as no shock to anyone that the 8320a looks just like the rest of Genelec line although the small sizes makes it look cute!

View attachment 132796

As you see we don't have a coaxial design here but rather 2-way with integrated waveguide. The back side is interesting in that there are no mechanical dip switches to adjust anything:

View attachment 132797

I have the Genelec GLM kit which I will be testing soon to see how it can configure the speaker. For now, I found the balanced analog input to be extremely sensitive. I had to turn down the volume way down both in measurements and listening tests. I am assuming it is defaulting to consumer levels.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of less than 1% or so.

Temperature was 68 degrees F.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was as instructed in the manual: at the rim of the woofer.

Genelec 8320a Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 132798

I was impressed by how smooth and controlled the bass response is. Post that we have some tiny wiggles here and there but nothing of note. There is however some crossover directivity error.

Early window frequency response shows good summing although a stepped response:
View attachment 132799

This partially compensates for the reverse step up in on-axis resulting in less of a step in predicted in-room frequency response:

View attachment 132800

Near-field measurements show care in how the enclosure resonance comes out of the port to make sure it doesn't interfere much with the on-axis response:

View attachment 132801

Distortion is well managed at 86 dBSPL but as expected, not so much at 96:

View attachment 132802

Interesting behavior of the tweeter limiting its response above 10 kHz.

View attachment 132803

Beamwidth is very well controlled as we could see from the design of the waveguide:

View attachment 132804

View attachment 132805

Vertical directivity is typical of 2-way speakers that are not coaxial so keep the tweeter axis pointed at your ear:

View attachment 132806

Finally, here is the CSD/waterfall showing some resonances:

View attachment 132807

Genelec 8320a Listening Tests
I always start with my female test tracks but after playing them a thousand times for testing of speakers and headphones, I am darn right sick of them! Yet, when a speaker produces excellent tonality, I can still appreciate them and such was the case with the Genelec 8320a. Track after track was enjoyable with reasonable bass response. Deep bass though as you can imagine was very soft.

Power capability was not bad. Turning up the single speaker up gradually lit up the red clipping indicator but there was no static or crackle as I have heard in other powered speakers. This only happened with tracks that had deep sub-bass. With spectrum above 40 Hz in the music, I had all the volume I needed in near-field listening (3 feet/1 meter). I especially enjoyed the track Hunted from Radical Face thundering away:

I could hear a bit of bloated bass at times which is clearly room modes so look forward to testing the unit with GLM.

Conclusions
While one expects near perfect execution from Genelec, it is still interesting to test their various designs. This little "guy" is cute, takes very little space but produces satisfying sound on the desktop that doesn't scream "I need a subwoofer." It is smooth and has wonderful tonality. And quite capable despite being such a small speaker. Of course you pay for this in its high cost at nearly $1,300 for a pair.

I am happy to put the Genelec 8320a on my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Awww, there's my baby, thanks for reviewing these Amir! I plan to use these for my ceiling/height channels

Hephaestus

Consider two things here.
1, the cost. They're $1250 a pair new.
2, the competition. Neumann KH80s are right around the same price point (maybe a bit cheaper, even) and their distortion performance is far better.

I think that KH80 DSP is 2 or 3 years newer model than 8320A. Might explain something.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
using these for surround! a nice and bank breaking option man
Aren't these the least expensive speakers one can use in a SAM system?
Once one has decided to use Genelec and SAM in a surround system it is going to be expensive whatever.
My guess it that these will be the least expensive surround speakers available for such a system.
Try this for a surround setup :)
Ones all round!

Olius

Once one has decided to use Genelec and SAM in a surround system it is going to be expensive whatever.
My guess it that these will be the least expensive surround speakers available for such a system.
Ones all round!

That setup is really cool! It's a bit funny though that they list 1x8320A in a kit list that's full of "Ones". I wonder where that one is used.
Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 16.59.26.png

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ones all round!

Now that takes "working from home" to a whole new level.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently got the slightly bigger brother 8330a. I'm very pleased with them! This step up in price (for the upgrade) seemed reasonable; much more than the next step up (to 8340a).
I also sent @amirm my 8330a so expect a review soon! Maybe he'll test GLM on it ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom