• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Hi, can someone recommend me if the Genelec 8320 or 8330 would be a better application for a small room? The speaker will be 10-15 cm away from the wall and there will be a listening distance of roughly 80-90cm.
Depends on your standards for bass response, I guess. The 8330A has slightly more bass in general and also digs noticeably deeper (-6 dB at ~48 Hz vs. ~57 Hz). While the smaller model already goes deeper than some entry-level 5" monitors and would easily pass as office-fi for general listening by my standards, it's still a bit short of truly full-range and should ideally be supplemented with a sub - the price difference between the two would buy a half-decent one. It'll be a matter of your preferred listening levels and genre preferences.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, can someone recommend me if the Genelec 8320 or 8330 would be a better application for a small room?

Generally so long as you have room correction, the speaker with the most bass extension is better regardless of the size of the room. It will go deeper and bass peaks will be controlled by the room correction. Because of this, an 8361 would not be inappropriate for a small room so long as you can fit it and yourself comfortably and have a small amount of distance between you and the speaker.

djw.cloud

I had the 8310 before this and couldn’t get past the hollow nature of the limited bass response. For just a few hundred more I feel this version with bigger woofer really is satisfying in a near field setting. I have since matted them with the 740a sub and it is all there. Great sound, tonality, and Imaging in a small desktop setting as well as deep controlled bass. Even without the Subwoofer I think most people would enjoy these speakers.

Hexspa

A distance of 0,10m (which I take to be 10cm) produces a null at 858Hz. Putting an absorber (2-4" rigid insulation or even foam for this application should be fine) between the wall and the speaker will help minimize it. You haven't specified the volume of your room but Genelec associates 65m3 for the 8x20 with a minimum listening distance of 0,5m. The 8x30 is 75m3 with a minimum recommended distance between 0,5 and 1m. By looking at the chart, 1m is the minimum distance for most speakers except for their bigger studio mains which they say 1.5m is the least distance.

If Neumann's videos are authoritative, small speakers are ok for bigger rooms so long as you listen close enough. The 8x30 has distortion performance which will meet Genelec's GRADE criteria (which is referenced to BS.1116-1) of <1% any individual harmonic component from 250Hz up and <3% below that at 90dB (don't recall the exact distance); NB this is not THD. That said, you might not mind some extra second harmonic distortion; Amirm doesn't seem to mind too much. Indeed, people listen to vinyl on tube amps.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If Neumann's videos are authoritative, small speakers are ok for bigger rooms so long as you listen close enough. The 8x30 has distortion performance which will meet Genelec's GRADE criteria (which is referenced to BS.1116-1) of <1% any individual harmonic component from 250Hz up and <3% below that at 90dB (don't recall the exact distance); NB this is not THD. That said, you might not mind some extra second harmonic distortion; Amirm doesn't seem to mind too much. Indeed, people listen to vinyl on tube amps.
We need to put things in perspective: if audiophiles happily recommend LS 3/5a type speakers as their dream system you can safely drop in a KH120 or 8x3x and get better performance any day.

Hexspa

We need to put things in perspective: if audiophiles happily recommend LS 3/5a type speakers as their dream system you can safely drop in a KH120 or 8x3x and get better performance any day.
You’re saying the Neumann and Genelec are better? For my needs, yes, because my use is home studio where balanced connections and integrated amps are par.

Hmast

Mmmmh, I'm having a hard time decide what surround speakers I should buy.

I currently own a pair of 8351B and a 7360A sub.
I own a GLM kit too.

I'd like to buy 4 surround speakers for a 7.1 setup without a center channel.

It's for a PC setup and the surround speakers will be used while playing video games.

I guess the best would be to buy 4x8340A since they match the 8351B SPL capabilities and can be used in a bigger room later if I need them 2 meters away from the MLP.

But...

I feel like spending 5000€ for those 4 surround channels is quite crazy as they will certainly play sound effects 90% of the time. Yet, I need those speakers to be SAM compatible.

So here I am investigating and looking the 8320A, the bill will go from 5000 to 2000€. I guess 4x8320A along with the sub will be fine for surrounds, GLM will make sure they sound "true" and are perfectly integrated with the main speakers. But when I'm looking the review on the 1st page, I see they're not intended to play at 90dB SPL and this is 1 meter away. In my context those surrounds will be set between 1.50m and 2m (5ft and 6.5ft). On another hand, when 4 of them are playing sound, each of them are adding +3dB (SPL?) to the global sound level. Finally, are there really many scenes in movies/games when the surround speakers are playing loud?

All these questions make me confuse about whether I should consider 8320A over 8340A.

mkt

I own a GLM kit too.

It's for a PC setup and the surround speakers will be used while playing video games.

I guess the best would be to buy 4x8340A since they match the 8351B SPL capabilities and can be used in a bigger room later if I need them 2 meters away from the MLP.

But...

I feel like spending 5000€ for those 4 surround channels is quite crazy as they will certainly play sound effects 90% of the time. Yet, I need those speakers to be SAM compatible.

So here I am investigating and looking the 8320A, the bill will go from 5000 to 2000€. I guess 4x8320A along with the sub will be fine for surrounds, GLM will make sure they sound "true" and are perfectly integrated with the main speakers. But when I'm looking the review on the 1st page, I see they're not intended to play at 90dB SPL and this is 1 meter away. In my context those surrounds will be set between 1.50m and 2m (5ft and 6.5ft). On another hand, when 4 of them are playing sound, each of them are adding +3dB (SPL?) to the global sound level. Finally, are there really many scenes in movies/games when the surround speakers are playing loud?

All these questions make me confuse about whether I should consider 8320A over 8340A.
First of all, I am a fan of the center channel but I accept that view is not universal and video screen considerations matter too.

I think it is hard to really know your SLP requirements without trying things out. (Personally I don't listen loud and I listen nearfield ~ 1m. So no real experience to share.)

Maybe find a dealer with a good return policy and try out the 8320s. These numbers from Genelec may be optimistic for 8320s but you have a great sub too.
1677622144213.png

Also the 8330s are in the middle of the two that you are considering. Note this Genelec 7.1.4 solution with 3x8351, 14(!)x8330 and a 7360.

eric tee

I own a GLM kit too.

But...

Moneywise, personally I would not hesitate to choose 8320`s. You have several variables in your system. The actual SPL for 8320 is 100dB https://www.genelec.com/8320a (one speaker measurment, without sub or room effects). With your listening distances, I very much doubt that SPL could couse any problems. Your system has glm mic, so you can check avarage/max SPL`s in your use?

Also in avarage, consider this if SPL is in consideration (with Genelec monitors), measurments are are made;"In free-field conditions (no walls, floor, or ceiling) the sound volume drops 6 dB when the distance doubles." https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

For surrounds, You don´t have to match main speakers in SPL. With SAM-system, 8320 is itself easily integrated to same (SAM) system.

Your main speakers and sub, will handle most of the need for power, no matter what surrounds You will choose.

From what I have heard (with measurments), 8351B is very good speaker.

Edit2; and of course, Your avarage/max SPL don´t have to match surrounds

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

I own a GLM kit too.

But...

There is also the 8330A that are louder than the 8320A while not that much more expensive.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes, but for use for surrounds... I very much doubt that could make any (real) difference, considering the system as whole.

The 8320A will struggle at lower volume above 100 Hz than the 8330A which is above the crossover for his subwoofer.

As he wrote that he wanted to have the option for other uses later on the 8330A is better. The 8340A is nearly twice as expensive as the 8330A.

Katzz

Does this model produce more or less hiss than the Genelec 8030? Its one of the things that keep me from buying the 8030 since I read complaints of a audible hiss from 1 metter in the comments review

Last edited:

badspeakerdesigner

Does this model produce more or less hiss than the Genelec 8030? Its one of the things that keep me from buying the 8030 since I read complaints of a audible hiss from 1 metter in the comments review

I found the 8030c to be very quiet, and I have extremely sensitive hearing (ENT was surprised at how sensitive my hearing is last visit) and live in the country, so it's pretty quiet here. I use them at about 3-4ft away and have no complaints. Everyone responds differently to hiss, but if you're that concerned just get passive speakers.

Hmast

I don't know your experience with active speakers but I have never owned active speakers without hiss. I seat at 1 meter from the speakers and I have always been able to hear some hiss, whatever the price of the speaker. I currently own 8351Bs (8000€) and I can hear the hiss. I had some PSI Audio speakers before, an highend brand just like Genelec, and I had some hiss too, I even had more hiss because I could hear the bass speaker "hissing" too with my ear at ~1ft (a bassy hiss indeed).

But there are different types of hiss, the one from my Genelecs is quite pleasant. Some other brands I had were more on the high-treble side.

If you really can't stand a hiss from your speakers I guess you should buy passive speakers. A pleasant hiss is really no big of a deal, it's more an issue with anxious/obsessive people than an issue with the sound to me. Of course there may be speakers with very loud hiss... in this case it can be an issue with quite music or with very high dynamic range recordings, but my Genelecs' hiss is only hearable with some attention and while not playing any music.

Katzz

The active monitors that i had owned were the JBL Lsr305 which they had a loud hiss at around one meter that i tried to fix using diferent cables for some months but i end up sellling them. The Iloud mtm wich had less audible hiss from one meter than the jbl while using the same cables and pc, it was noticeble and annoying sometimes but was tolerable, unfortunately after a couple of months both units where damage presenting diferent problems. I hear less hiss with Klipsch the fives than the mtm at the same distance and with the edifier hd luna and iloud mm I was only able to hear the hiss if i was really close to the tweeter.
It would be really good if there was some kind of table showing the level of hiss that a specific nearfield speakers is able to produce in the reviews since people write very diferent opinions based in the same model which can be cause by diferent equipment or the electrical installation.

Trell

Major Contributor
The active monitors that i had owned were the JBL Lsr305 which they had a loud hiss at around one meter that i tried to fix using diferent cables for some months but i end up sellling them. The Iloud mtm wich had less audible hiss from one meter than the jbl while using the same cables and pc, it was noticeble and annoying sometimes but was tolerable, unfortunately after a couple of months both units where damage presenting diferent problems. I hear less hiss with Klipsch the fives than the mtm at the same distance and with the edifier hd luna and iloud mm I was only able to hear the hiss if i was really close to the tweeter.
It would be really good if there was some kind of table showing the level of hiss that a specific nearfield speakers is able to produce in the reviews since people write very diferent opinions based in the same model which can be cause by diferent equipment or the electrical installation.
This might interest you: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hiss-list-s-r.18050/

In the end you’ll have to listen to the monitors and decide if its hiss “quality” and level is acceptable to you.

Hmast

Great list, thanks for the link.

By the way, what makes a speaker hiss? I mean, passive speakers do not hiss or very rarely. So why active speakers seem to be prone to hissing?

Is it because the amp is very close to the speakers? Is it the electromagnetic field of the amp? If so why isn't there a shield?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Simply, the hiss is lost in the crossover of a passive speakers which is where the signal from the amp goes first. In an active speaker the crossover is electronic and then each amp directly powers the drivers individually so there still might be some hiss in the signal chain.

Top Bottom