• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320 or Neumann KH80

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK, after much research and reading reviews here I've narrowed down the choices for my new desktop speakers between these two speakers. I can't decide, maybe I'll glean some info that tips my decision one way or the other from the knowledge base here?

Use case. . .

Office (loft) that is a disaster from a room perspective. Vaulted ceilings, open to downstairs on the right side (no wall), no room behind desk, desk is flat against front wall. Rear wall is 6ft behind listening position. Listening position is approx .75m-1m. I am not 'mixing' sound, but general internet surfing/music listening.

I chose these two speakers mainly due to size constraints, I really can't go bigger than the KH80, the 8320's are a bit smaller in depth which is a plus in my case with a smallish desk. I'm really attracted to GLM that Genelec offers and if I go that way I will add GLM to the 8320 package. I am not sure about the KH80 DSP, it's auto room correction seems to get mixed reviews. I am not interested (or very knowledgeable) in using REW or other room correction software. I run Mac computers.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
^Hard to argue with that. . .

dshreter

Do you plan to get a subwoofer? That definitely matters....

If you don't plan to get a sub, I'd suggest 8030c might be a better bet. You'll be listening in the near field, so there's no reason 8030c shouldn't be extremely flat for those purposes, and for non-technical work I don't know that GLM room correction is important compared to what you could achieve with the dip switches on 8030c. The additional bass extension is likely to add more to the listening experience than squeezing out the last ounce of flatness via GLM.

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Do you plan to get a subwoofer? That definitely matters....

If you don't plan to get a sub, I'd suggest 8030c might be a better bet. You'll be listening in the near field, so there's no reason 8030c shouldn't be extremely flat for those purposes, and for non-technical work I don't know that GLM room correction is important compared to what you could achieve with the dip switches on 8030c. The additional bass extension is likely to add more to the listening experience than squeezing out the last ounce of flatness via GLM.

Excellent feedback, thanks.

I'm not sure on the subwoofer. I guess is depends on how satisfied I am without one, so I'm 50/50 on adding a sub at this point. If I do go 8320, I'd add the 7350a SAM subwoofer If I in fact decide to add a sub.

dshreter

In that case, if you're trying to manage to a relatively constant budget, I'd get the larger "Active" vs the smaller "Smart Active." Including GLM, 8320 would be more expensive and I believe sound lesser.

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Genelec Active: 8030c + 7050c $2,565* USD

Genelec Smart Active: 8320a + GLM+ 7350a $2,899* USD

*Current pricing from Sweetwater

You think the above Active bundle is a step up in sound quality over the Smart Active bundle? Note: the additional $300 and change would not be a deal breaker for me.

Edit: Just for grins, comparable Neumann KH80 + MA-1+ KH750 bundle is $2,650* USD

Last edited:

dshreter

With a subwoofer, 8030c and 8320a will sound pretty similar. Without a subwoofer 8030c will sound much better than 8320a. So I'd say it really depends on whether you are committed to buying a sub.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
With a subwoofer, 8030c and 8320a will sound pretty similar. Without a subwoofer 8030c will sound much better than 8320a. So I'd say it really depends on whether you are committed to buying a sub.
Or maybe go with the 8330.

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Edit: Just for grins, comparable Neumann KH80 + KH750 bundle is $2,650* USD

+250 for a Neumann MA 1, as an alternative to the GLM.

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
+250 for a Neumann MA 1, as an alternative to the GLM.

Bah, good point. But it comes with free iPad app for some room correction if I'm not mistaken.

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Or maybe go with the 8330.

I considered this, but if I'm left wanting and add a subwoofer I'm over budget. I really want to be around the, max., $2,500 ballpark (with sub and room correction) for this project.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I am not sure about the KH80 DSP, it's auto room correction seems to get mixed reviews.

Do you mean "auto" with or without MA1? I have only seen positive reviews for the MA1, but mixed for the "guided alignment". Personally i am very satisfied with the MA1 but would not recommend using the app with guided alignment and without measurement. I dont know the GLM, but as far as i know MA1 should be comparable. I am sure both systems are very good, maybe just a matter of taste.

MA1 works with the KH80 even without the KH750, if you dont need a sub.

dominikz

Forum Donor
Bah, good point. But it comes with free iPad app for some room correction if I'm not mistaken.
FYI, it seems the "Neumann Monitor Alignment Kit 3" bundle includes 2x KH80 + 1x KH750 + MA1 for 2650$ total (e.g. at Sweetwater).

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Do you mean "auto" with or without MA1? I have only seen positive reviews for the MA1, but mixed for the "guided alignment". Personally i am very satisfied with the MA1 but would not recommend using the app with guided alignment and without measurement. I dont know the GLM, but as far as i know MA1 should be comparable. I am sure both systems are very good, maybe just a matter of taste.

MA1 works with the KH80 even without the KH750, if you dont need a sub.

Question; does MA1 allow for sub integration in a 2.1 system? I thought I read on a thread here that it did not. I could be remembering wrong though. Also, does MA1 require ethernet cable to function?

OP
HiFidFan

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
FYI, it seems the "Neumann Monitor Alignment Kit 3" bundle includes 2x KH80 + 1x KH750 + MA1 for 2650$ total (e.g. at Sweetwater).

I was looking at Sweetwater while you typed your post. Indeed it does.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
One more thought: If your listening position is fixed and money is tight you might be able to borrow the MA1 from a dealer, use it once for calibration and return it. You dont need it again as long as you dont change your setup (calibration is stored in the speakers) Some dealers may offer such thing for a small fee.

Question; does MA1 allow for sub integration in a 2.1 system? I thought I read on a thread here that it did not. I could be remembering wrong though. Also, does MA1 require ethernet cable to function?

yes, but only 1x or 2x KH750, no other sub.
yes, ethernet. i suggest reading the manual from neumann.

Top Bottom