• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320 or 8330, with 7350 sub?

galanakop

just today I ordered my new genelec 8330 x2 along with the sub 7350.
I would like you to tell me what to drive them to the pc.
With a very good dac like the topping d70s pro xlr analogic or with a pre / amp digital ???
I am very confused

galanakop

I am extremely pleased by my newly come pair of Genelec 8030C. The sound is very clean, detailled yet smooth. If you want to hear what's under 45 Hz, a subwoofer is recommended.
Your speakers work with more dac or pre / amp

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
with the topping d70s pro do you think I will be covered for proper and top operation of the speakers (8330) and sub (7350)?
Will I need something else ???

I think it will be fine, though it doesn't have a volume knob. You will control the volume via the remote.

The DAC will be connected to the sub, then the sub to the mains, and act as crossover to send them only the higher frequencies.

mkt

Can’t you do all digital with AES into and out of the sub?

oboist

8330A+7350A are arriving tomorrow. I plan to drive them through XLR with the SMSL M500 which I already have. Will let you know how it goes but am confident it will be fine as this works well with other active speakers.

galanakop

[QUOTE = "oboist, post: 712266, member: 27935"] 8330A + 7350A φτάνουν αύριο. Σκοπεύω να τα οδηγήσω μέσω του XLR με το SMSL M500 που έχω ήδη. Θα σας ενημερώσω πώς πηγαίνει, αλλά είμαι πεπεισμένος ότι θα είναι μια χαρά, καθώς λειτουργεί καλά με άλλα ενεργά ηχεία. [/ QUOTE]
Upload us a photo to see your space for a while, and how it is shaped.
I expect exactly the same speakers and sub. I have also ordered the kit for calibrating the speakers. I will drive them with the topping d70s pro
Thanks.
Here are what I'm waiting for in my office.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210318-103109_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210318-103109_Gmail.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_20210316-103445_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210316-103445_Gmail.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 201

MGG

[QUOTE = "oboist, post: 712266, member: 27935"] 8330A + 7350A φτάνουν αύριο. Σκοπεύω να τα οδηγήσω μέσω του XLR με το SMSL M500 που έχω ήδη. Θα σας ενημερώσω πώς πηγαίνει, αλλά είμαι πεπεισμένος ότι θα είναι μια χαρά, καθώς λειτουργεί καλά με άλλα ενεργά ηχεία. [/ QUOTE]
Upload us a photo to see your space for a while, and how it is shaped.
I expect exactly the same speakers and sub. I have also ordered the kit for calibrating the speakers. I will drive them with the topping d70s pro
Thanks.
Here are what I'm waiting for in my office.

612€ for 8330A, does that quote include VAT?

oboist

8330Ax2+7350A arrived and set up but haven't done the auto room adjustment yet. Very pleased with the initial impression but hoping that the room adjustment will improve high frequency stuff a bit. Right now loud passages with trumpets and violins are a bit harsh but I know the room needs help. These are replacing KH80s which sound great for chamber music but don't cut it for full orchestra because of insufficient bass w/o subwoofer. The KH80s will move to the TV room and I might splurge on the 750 subwoofer. Bass drum and string basses with the Genelec sub sound fantastic. Not just good but fantastic. I will make some before and after measurements with REW when I get a chance over the weekend. Driving from the M500 is fine. I actually have to turn down the volume relative to the setting for the KH80s to match loudness.

galanakop

8330Ax2+7350A arrived and set up but haven't done the auto room adjustment yet. Very pleased with the initial impression but hoping that the room adjustment will improve high frequency stuff a bit. Right now loud passages with trumpets and violins are a bit harsh but I know the room needs help. These are replacing KH80s which sound great for chamber music but don't cut it for full orchestra because of insufficient bass w/o subwoofer. The KH80s will move to the TV room and I might splurge on the 750 subwoofer. Bass drum and string basses with the Genelec sub sound fantastic. Not just good but fantastic. I will make some before and after measurements with REW when I get a chance over the weekend. Driving from the M500 is fine. I actually have to turn down the volume relative to the setting for the KH80s to match loudness.
will you make the automatic room adjustment with the glm 3.0 of genelec ???If so, will it also be in collaboration with the M500 or without the dac ??? I want to understand a bit of cable connections

oboist

will you make the automatic room adjustment with the glm 3.0 of genelec ???If so, will it also be in collaboration with the M500 or without the dac ??? I want to understand a bit of cable connections
It will be with GLM 4.0 and through the DAC. Unfortunately I don't have a way of getting a digital signal straight into the Genelecs at the moment.

oboist

There are definitely ways to do it. That device doesn’t look like a DAC. There’s no analog output. It’s just a format converter that will take the digital USB signal from the computer and convert it to either of the standard audio digital formats. It would be able to convert to AES and has the correct XLR out to go into the digital input of the speakers but that seems like a lot of money to achieve that goal. I have an RME Babyface Pro fs that I use as part of my live recording setup. It has SPDIF out so I think I’ll get this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...sJBhbXJqS9MA_EzS9VoaAm9VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It will convert SPDIF to AES into the speakers if I want to try digital. I suspect the difference in sending a good analog signal out of a good DAC vs. sending the digital will be small to inaudible but I might try just for fun since it’s not so expensive. Getting the speaker placement right to minimize room problems makes a much bigger difference as I’m finding out at the moment...

onion

My chain is 'Roon on Mac mini - Babyface Pro - optical - optical-AES converter - Genelec'

edahl

Got pair of 8330s with GLM today. Very preliminary setup. Realised after calibration that I was using headphone EQ on line out, so I'm guessing at least some of the weirdness is coming from that

Attachments

• unknown-2.png
    unknown-2.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 218

galanakop

I would like your opinion on the position of the sub.
Is it believed that there is ok ??? I want to calibrate with glm with as few corrections as possible.
8330 and 7350

20210421_130432.jpg

galanakop

I try to do the calibration and everything fails me. Does anyone know why this happens ???

Attachments

• 20210425_143423.jpg
    20210425_143423.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 263
Top Bottom