• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320 or 8330, with 7350 sub?

mkt

Never seen that. Everything including mic connected? 3 sine sweeps?

galanakop

[QUOTE = "mkt, post: 759525, member: 12231"] Ποτέ δεν το είδατε. Τα πάντα, συμπεριλαμβανομένων των μικροφώνων, είναι συνδεδεμένα; Σάρωσε 3 ημίτονα; [/ QUOTE]
Όλα είναι σωστά συνδεδεμένα.

galanakop

Finally calibration was done. Why tell me your opinion about the prices ???
glm Office No3.png

svenz

I've had my 8330A+7350A combo for about 2 years now, and I'm phenomenally happy with them. I was never able to get the bass and room EQ quite right with other (admittedly, much cheaper) solutions. I'm in a small room with terrible dimensions, but the DSP just does wonders. There are some nulls when I measured things but listening you cannot really tell, and the bass just blends in so well from the sub.

Honestly don't think I could improve the sound much with more speaker - I'd really have to get room treatments to fix the nulls (ideally a different room entirely haha), but I'm happy with the way it is. I'd say these are my endgame set up and I have no desire to purchase anything else for my small office/gaming room. They are also built like absolute tanks with steel wire mesh protecting the drivers. These things are going to last decades I reckon.

Oh I paired it with a D10 for the digital coax out, and use the D10 analogue out to feed my headphone amp. It's really convenient to switch between headphones/speakers that way - just turn down the speaker volume to swap to headphones, and vice versa. You don't need to waste money on a DAC for these, they already have a very good internal DAC and are very forgiving on the digital signal you send it (strictly speaking you should get a neutronik impedance converter, but it's unnecessary for <3m cables). Get the cheapest thing that fits your needs that does USB->coax and the appropriate cable and you're set. Even those 12 buck jobbies on amazon should do the job.

I didn't have a sub for about 6 months, and I'd say the sub does make an improvement for electronic style music and also various rock music. It's a very expensive additional purchase though, and not absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

eric tee

It is time to upgrade my system. I have pair of G2 on my computer desk and M030 as main speaker for music. Just bought 7350 and GLM for aiming to use SAM-system. Reflections in my room are awfull. Lot`s of glass.

I am having very difficult time to choose between 8330 and 8340. Difference in price here in Finland is about 800 euros for pair (in Genelec grey color). To my eyes, biggest difference between these models is:
Amp --> 8330 50+50W - 8340 150+150W. 8330 has 5 1/8inc 8340 has 6 1/2inc low/mid element. Current M030 and G2 are more than enough loud for my use.

Also 8340 has dip control, so it is possible to control the room without GLM. For those who need that. 8330 goes 45Hz, 8340 goes 38Hz, but with 7350, that does not matter?

Distance to speakers is about 2,5m and space is about 35m2 in listening enviroment.

Any advice would be very good to hear.

Last edited:

svenz

It is time to upgrade my system. I have pair of G2 on my computer desk and M030 as main speaker for music. Just bought 7350 and GLM for aiming to use SAM-system. Reflections in my room are awfull. Lot`s of glass.

I am having very difficult time to choose between 8330 and 8340. Difference in price here in Finland is about 800 euros for pair (in Genelec grey color). To my eyes, biggest difference between these models is:
Amp --> 8330 50+50W - 8340 150+150W. 8330 has 5 1/8inc 8340 has 6 1/2inc low/mid element. Current M030 and G2 are more than enough loud for my use.

Also 8340 has dip control, so it is possible to control the room without GLM. For those who need that. 8330 goes 45Hz, 8340 goes 38Hz, but with 7350, that does not matter?

Distance to speakers is about 2,5m and space is about 35m2 in listening enviroment.

Have you looked at https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors? It may help.

Note that all genelecs are near field monitors so 2.5m is pushing it slightly, especially if you have a poor room. Here's the recommended listening distance for all of their speakers.

correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

I think 8320/8330 are ideal for desk usage. 8340s are a lot more powerful - and they also recommend pairing it with the more powerful 7360/7370 sub.

Note even my 8330s can get incredibly loud - they're rated to fill a room up to 75m2. In comparison I have a pair of JBL 308ps that I struggle to get loud enough in a room about your size. Here's the db at various distances.

correct-monitors-spl-chart.jpg

I think in your case I'd probably just go for the 8330 since you likely don't need the extra volume. With 7350 in place the difference will be minimal. And invest in bookshelves, sofas, rugs, plants, anything to help with the reflections.

Right now I'm testing 8330+7350. My room is treated quite well, but dimensions are quite awful, so there's some peaks and main problem is bass where I have really bad peaks around 30-35Hz. Without GLM sub is going CRAZY. I mean CRAZY. I tried to solve it with Sonarworks before with different sub and it was not enough to make it work. After calibration bass is under control and I can here any balance problems with them.

8x20 are generally more punchy, but I think it would be not enough power for listening at distance you listen. With bigger speaker size it would be better to listen at distance - more SPL, but it's up to you if you want go louder (8340) or full range (8330+7350).

eric tee

Note that all genelecs are near field monitors so 2.5m is pushing it slightly, especially if you have a poor room. Here's the recommended listening distance for all of their speakers.

I think 8320/8330 are ideal for desk usage. 8340s are a lot more powerful - and they also recommend pairing it with the more powerful 7360/7370 sub.

Note even my 8330s can get incredibly loud - they're rated to fill a room up to 75m2. In comparison I have a pair of JBL 308ps that I struggle to get loud enough in a room about your size. Here's the db at various distances.

I think in your case I'd probably just go for the 8330 since you likely don't need the extra volume. With 7350 in place the difference will be minimal. And invest in bookshelves, sofas, rugs, plants, anything to help with the reflections.
Thank you, very much for the very informative reply. If I am reading the recommend distance from speakers to listening position chart right, room reverberant sound could be some kind of a problem.

On the other hand, isn`t the SAM-system suppose to remove or at least facilitate this problem?

On the other (other hand), the chart is made for the SAM-system speakers? (using SAM-abilities?).

Feel a bit confused now. 8351B:s, which hit the optimum(?) as distance, are absolutely out of my financial reach at the moment.

Used SPL does not make any difference between 8330 and 8340 to me. As I said in the previous post, I am currently using pairs of M030 and G2. Never had any issues with "not enough SPL thing".

Fast edit, found this from Genelec forum and Ilkka Rissanen.

"ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.​

Re: Listening distance nearfield speakers

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

Hi,

The term near field speaker comes from the professional studio world. There can be (typically) three different kind speakers in a studio: near field, mid field and far field. Near fields are placed up close to the mixer, on top of the console. These have to be (physically) quite small in size so that they don't block the sound coming from the far fields which are typically flush mounted into the front wall. Mid fields are between those, typically on stands behind the console.

Requirements for pro audio and home audio can be a little bit different. In the studio, speakers are used to monitor the sound/recording to make it as good as possible, while at home, speakers are used to enjoy that sound/recording, made by that professional. Also typically the listening levels used in the studio are higher than at home. Therefore recommended listening distances for same model are shorter for pro than home.

When it comes to physics of a speaker, it is true that a small speaker works best in the near field, but that applies to all small speakers: active, passive, pro, hifi etc. That is mainly because a small speaker is not very directive and it has only moderate maximum SPL capability. Of course there are ways to improve the directivity, see Genelec Key Technologies: Directivity Control Waveguide and Minimum Diffraction Enclosure. With the help of those, even a small speaker can sound good and natural from a larger listening distance and in reflective listening environment".

eric tee

Right now I'm testing 8330+7350. My room is treated quite well, but dimensions are quite awful, so there's some peaks and main problem is bass where I have really bad peaks around 30-35Hz. Without GLM sub is going CRAZY. I mean CRAZY. I tried to solve it with Sonarworks before with different sub and it was not enough to make it work. After calibration bass is under control and I can here any balance problems with them.

8x20 are generally more punchy, but I think it would be not enough power for listening at distance you listen. With bigger speaker size it would be better to listen at distance - more SPL, but it's up to you if you want go louder (8340) or full range (8330+7350).
Thank you for the reply. It is more than difficult to make decisions, for me at least. I would be very intrested to hear, what will be your conclusions from that combo 8330+77350. What kind of enviroment in distanses to listening position, are you testing that combo?

eric tee

In the chart, i believe it is 75m3 (cubic metre), not 75m2.
"Note even my 8330s can get incredibly loud - they're rated to fill a room up to 75m2. In comparison I have a pair of JBL 308ps that I struggle to get loud enough in a room about your size. Here's the db at various distances."

eric tee

From Ilkka Rissanen`s reply as above: "That is mainly because a small speaker is not very directive and it has only moderate maximum SPL capability", my only concern is the directivity for 8330 (and 8340), to my listening position which is 2,5metres. Altought, if I am getting this right, that answer was before SAM-systems?

Thank you for the reply. It is more than difficult to make decisions, for me at least. I would be very intrested to hear, what will be your conclusions from that combo 8330+77350. What kind of enviroment in distanses to listening position, are you testing that combo?
I mainly use them as mix tool, so I listen in nearfield (around 1,4m). Room is 18m2.
8330 are very fine to listen to and I switch to 2.1 just for quick compare in need of bottom octave, but in my room 8330 are going 44Hz -3dB so it's very nice. The crossover to sub is very seamless. One thing I noticed is that when use only 8330 low mids are little more pronounced (maybe it's the matter of sub taking care when in use - I crossed them at 90Hz). Of course I you like to feel music more when you listen, you'll need sub to turn up the volume - I listen loud at 85dB, so it's not VERY loud. :)

Because of room modes sub sometimes is going crazy, but DSP tame mostly - there's a problem in room with 30Hz and I will correct it later that year.

Last edited:

carlosatl

Can you still use AES connection on the subwoofer , and connect the 8320 to subwoofer although 8320 are analog ??

Top Bottom