• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8050B Review (Studio Monitor)

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice review @amirm !

I can thank ASR to direct me to Genelec speakers and many other good gear. I’m sure there are other excellent studio monitors that compete well against the Gens. I chose Genelec in part because I totally dig their “egg” design and their compact size in relation to volume of air. I don’t look back... Both my 8351B and 8030C are excellent in their application.

I think by placing them near the wall per Genelec’s recommendation, the bass volume can be reduced and therefore reducing distortion. One thing I noticed when listening to them is I tend to keep the volume lower than I used to. Their level of clarity is so high, I don’t feel the need to crank up the volume. I do think the amount of bass plenty for my needs in my 1936 modestly sized NJ suburban house. But I can see them wanting some bass reinforcement in larger listening rooms...

Maiky76

wsmith

Thanks for this review, Amir.

I assume your results and opinion would be completely different if this or any 80xx Genelec for that matter were tested with a matching Genelec Sub.

I'm considering a pair in this price range to replace my current Genelecs. But I not going to forego a sub when I do. Even if I've not had one to date and have still been pretty happy in my lower volume existence. My condo neighbors are gonna love me...

I just get the impression that one asks too much perfection from 80xx Genelecs sans subwoofer to realistically expect utter perfection.

Alas my video production biz is currently on hold or I'd jump to upgrade and send to the truth chamber for interrogation.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Ic, so maybe it's just cable, so you didn't tape more on the two halves gasket joint?
No, most of the additional gasket tape went around the woofer shielding (and inside it).
I also changed the (wierd) mounting bracket for the woofer shielding to a different position, where it would not (literally) push into the woofer's spider (?!). The woofer basket has 3 little holes at 120° angles where I mounted the bracket to, so it's bent at an angle now, but it still fulfils its function without touching/possibly damaging the outer region of the spider.

YSC

Major Contributor
No, most of the additional gasket tape went around the woofer shielding (and inside it).
I also changed the (wierd) mounting bracket for the woofer shielding to a different position, where it would not (literally) push into the woofer's spider (?!). The woofer basket has 3 little holes at 120° angles where I mounted the bracket to, so it's bent at an angle now, but it still fulfils its function without touching/possibly damaging the outer region of the spider.
If so it sounds to me some kind of shipping damage knocking stuffs out of alignment a bit, if that bracket is default like that I can’t imagine it would pass their out of factory QC

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Though I love the 8030c's, I was very curious as to what a good amp upgrade would do to improve them. This is the second time or so, that we've discussed that as potentially being the limiting factor for these at higher than 86dB. Granted, these are designed to be within 1-2m of the listener, being a nearfield design. So, for their intended purpose, they should be excellent, because there is definitely a "rightness" in the sound that Gennie's seem to produce.

I have read that the 8300 series (8340, etc) has some issues with time domain LF production. This has been an ongoing concern of mine because I can hear a bass drum that isn't reproduced properly. The hammer to head slap and resulting drum LF output are disjointed, and sound soft instead of impactful. I believe it was SoundonSound that did the measurements (group delay), and I'd love to see those for the lower end Gennies, well all speakers TBH.

Regardless, another great one from you Amir, thank you. I love the follow up video on measurements as well, you just keep raising the bar!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I have read that the 8300 series (8340, etc) has some issues with time domain LF production.
Where? I've only read that on SoundOnSound, where they state that with an audiophile fervour for almost all ported speakers. Group delay is indicated in the manual for the 8340, 8350 and 83x1 (only down to 50 Hz, though).

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Even though the 8350A is only 2-way vs the 3-way KH310?
Yes, just because GLM exists. The arrival of the KH750DSP + MA-1 combo does make the choice harder, and the KH310 is probably better in nearfield, because its (little) worse directivity is of no consequence, while IMD is obviously a lot better.
(I also prefer Genelec's look)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KH310. 3-way beats 2-way in IMD.
Also irrespective of IMD a fantastic 3" mid dome like the Neumann one is much cleaner than any midwoofer where it counts most, namely the mids.

Rntlee

Hi, newbie here.
I have a question for those who have some Genelec experience. I can buy a pair of 8050b’s (used) for about CAD$3000 or about CAD$3700 new, a pair of 8350a’s (new) for CAD$5300 or a pair of 8351b’s (new) for CAD$7300. Are the 8350a’s the best band for the buck? Or am I better to splurge on the 8351’s? Or, for that matter, would the 8050b’s be stisfactory for a simple 2 channel setup? I haven’t heard any of them, but really want to simplify my setup with some active speakers and Genelec seems to be held in pretty high esteem here.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Where? I've only read that on SoundOnSound, where they state that with an audiophile fervour for almost all ported speakers. Group delay is indicated in the manual for the 8340, 8350 and 83x1 (only down to 50 Hz, though).

I should mentioned that, indeed, SOS. I wouldn't call the measurements that they provided, audiophile fervor, but I can appreciate the skepticism.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Hi, newbie here.
I have a question for those who have some Genelec experience. I can buy a pair of 8050b’s (used) for about CAD$3000 or about CAD$3700 new, a pair of 8350a’s (new) for CAD$5300 or a pair of 8351b’s (new) for CAD$7300. Are the 8350a’s the best band for the buck? Or am I better to splurge on the 8351’s? Or, for that matter, would the 8050b’s be stisfactory for a simple 2 channel setup? I haven’t heard any of them, but really want to simplify my setup with some active speakers and Genelec seems to be held in pretty high esteem here.
If you don't have a budget, just go for the 8361As. :D

Rntlee

If you don't have a budget, just go for the 8361As. :D

Lol, my wife is a wonderful person, but even she would probably balk at the size of the 8361’s in our living room. They are a little more that I want to spend (~CAD$10000/pair) as well. I’m trying not too spend more than what I’ve currently got tied up in equipment. Going to fund this purchase with what I can get liquidating my present amps/speakers.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Lol, my wife is a wonderful person, but even she would probably balk at the size of the 8361’s in our living room. They are a little more that I want to spend (~CAD$10000/pair) as well. I’m trying not too spend more than what I’ve currently got tied up in equipment. Going to fund this purchase with what I can get liquidating my present amps/speakers.
If room correction is important, GLM is not an option for the 8050Bs but you could use a third-party hardware solution with Dirac Live, Audyssey, etc. or calibration software if you wanted.

There's some indication that Genelec sought to increase bass output and general SPL with the 8350A and 8351B given the revised amps in those models. Basically, you'll get improvements with each jump: 8050B > 8350A gets you higher-rated amps and DSP, 8350A > 8351B gets you a 3-way coaxial design and associated directivity and distortion benefits.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, newbie here.

At those prices I would go for the 8351B, that's an excellent price(a bit less than I paid even). I bet others would be very interested in which shop is selling them that cheap.

They are also 3-ways which means more headroom and less IMD than the 2-way models, plus they were very recently updated so you are getting the cutting edge.

I don't know that any Genelecs count as best bang for buck though lol, that's probably something like the JBL 306p.

Top Bottom