• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8040 vs 8030 vs Neumann KH 120

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did an in home with the 8030s and then a bake off with the 8040s for my home office setup. That setup was space constrained, so I went with the 8040 to get a bit more low end extension without having to fit a subwoofer. Make no mistake though, if you want extension to bass or sub bass, you need a subwoofer for either monitor.

if I could have fit a sub in that room, I would have gone with the 8030. The drivers are more coherent at super near field and you are going to cross over at 80hz with a sub on either speakers. Also, a bit cheaper and space friendlier.

YSC

Major Contributor
I did an in home with the 8030s and then a bake off with the 8040s for my home office setup. That setup was space constrained, so I went with the 8040 to get a bit more low end extension without having to fit a subwoofer. Make no mistake though, if you want extension to bass or sub bass, you need a subwoofer for either monitor.

if I could have fit a sub in that room, I would have gone with the 8030. The drivers are more coherent at super near field and you are going to cross over at 80hz with a sub on either speakers. Also, a bit cheaper and space friendlier.
same thought, but with personal experience I do think pair them with a 7040A when space is limited, the 21mm thickness of the 7040 should be fine even from very space tight areas like under the desk without issue

Top Bottom