• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8040 vs 8020 with sub

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I own a pair of Genelec 8040, and I love them. However I get little below about 35Hz in my 4m l, 3.6m w, 3m h room.

I was thinking of switching to 8020s (which would probably also earn me domestic brownie points) and adding a small sub - something like the new SVS SB3000 Micro.

I’d use Focus Fidelity for room correction, and an RME ADI-2 Pro for sub crossover.

I’d then hopefully get a near full frequency response… but would I lose anything?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

James

In a more narrow ”high end ” perspective, where you want better sound than 8040 with two channels , the 8340 with GLM and digital input is a slightly better sounding speaker that goes a bit deeper in bass to. If you feed it with a digital signal.

My own experience of listening to 8020, 8030c and 8040 is that 8030c and 8040 is about the same quality, but 8040 can play louder and goes a bit deeper. The 8020 is slightly worse sounding even at nearfield listening.

That said, all of those loudspeakers are really good and the 8030c sound a bit better than for example Revel m105 , but is much cheaper, at least in europe.

Last edited:

stemfencer

Hi everyone - a very belated thanks for all your input. Seems I might already have the best monitors for my listening environment and the 8020s might not work so well at my far-field listening position.

Maybe I'll try to sneak in a small sub at some point.

J
Have you tried them with a sub yet?

Top Bottom