• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c vs Revel M105 vs JBL 308

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have M106 and LSR305 (that's the first model). The M106's are clearly the better speaker, but in terms of tonality they are pretty close. The LSR305 does have a very noisy amp, so if you sit nearfield and have it not produce sound all the time you will hear the hiss. I use the LSR305's as rears and the Revel's as fronts. If I couldn't get a good deal on the Revel's (€1100 new for a pair) I would have gotten the KEF R3. Revel is crazy overpriced in Europe.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think Genelecs have any issues with SPL. The drivers and amps are good quality. For same frequency and SPL, bass distortion will be lower than most similar sized speakers.

txbdan

Thanks. I didnt know that the genelecs play louder and cleaner. I thought the revels would cause they are passive. Isnt 8 to 10 feet normal listening distances? I dont know about the loudness that I need but I currently use old energy c-3's (as http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm) fronts or usher x-719s and an old Infinity primus Pc351 as center. They are with an adire audio tempest 15 in a 122 liter sealed cabinet and a kicker Solobaric L7S10 DVC4 sub L-ported tuned to 23hz. Footprint is 14"X14". height is 4 feet 6" more or less. The subs are crossed over at 80 hz and I find the maximum loudness to be room shaking when testing with war of the worlds. Peaks were tamed with a behringer feedback destroyer but I currently am not using it now.

What are the recommended speakers based on "would have gone larger than that for ht"? But based on your above statement that genelecs are louder and cleaner than the revel m105 and the jbl 308 then I am currently prefering the genelecs. I thought that they do not get as loud and are more appropriate for nearfield applications.

Dude, I'm pretty sure I built that same Adire Audio sub way back in the day. Although mine was like 24x24x36" and tuned to 15Hz. It was a standard plan of theirs. It was a monster. I gave it to my exgf's sister when we were moving once... what a mistake!

OP
T

theshade

Dude, I'm pretty sure I built that same Adire Audio sub way back in the day. Although mine was like 24x24x36" and tuned to 15Hz. It was a standard plan of theirs. It was a monster. I gave it to my exgf's sister when we were moving once... what a mistake!

Yeah. Monstrous! Mine is sealed at about 4 and a half cubic feet. Can also function as an end table.

Top Bottom