• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C vs M030

_Bass

Hi guys,

I need some advice. Been looking at getting the Genelec 8030C but they are a bit pricey for me -- so shopping for a used pair. Right now I have an option to buy M030 used for half the price of a used pair of 8030C. So even though M030 lack on the appearance side I can get them and experience finally the Genelec sound. Looking at the specs and provided manufacturer graphs, M030 are rated +-3db while 8030C are +-2.5 db. Also from what I can tell, the M030's highs drop a bit quicker 15 degrees and more off axis.

M030:
https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...2821edff0861/genelec_m030_m040_manual-qsg.pdf

8030C
https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...e07eb802b88b8d861799a07/8030c_opman_gb_fi.pdf

I intend to use the speakers for listening to music and movies in a 5.2 setup in my small living room. So thigs like auto turn off is important and RCA in is a bonus. I already have 2 subs so I am not worried about low extension. Would you guys advise me to jump on the M030 deal or should I continue to save to buy the 8030C?

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The 8030C are ± 2,0 dB. I don't think they are worth twice the price of the M030s, though, especially in midfield, unless you need the smaller volume or greater ruggedness.

OP
B

_Bass

The 8030C are ± 2,0 dB. I don't think they are worth twice the price of the M030s, though, especially in midfield, unless you need the smaller volume or greater ruggedness.
You are right 8030C are ± 2.0 dB, I misspoke. Horizontal directivity is noticeable though for anything beyond 15 degrees... if I am reading the graphs correctly. Otherwise the extra ruggedness is not needed, nor size is an issue. Matter of fact, the M030 port is under the speaker, so perhaps even more flexible for placement -- e.g. closer to the wall to minimize SBIR.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You are right 8030C are ± 2.0 dB, I misspoke. Horizontal directivity is noticeable though for anything beyond 15 degrees... if I am reading the graphs correctly. Otherwise the extra ruggedness is not needed, nor size is an issue. Matter of fact, the M030 port is under the speaker, so perhaps even more flexible for placement -- e.g. closer to the wall to minimize SBIR.
If you understand everything, it's your call then. Personally, I'd probably take the 8030Cs, just because I keep my stuff for a long time and because I really like the aluminium box; it really appeals to my sci-fi sense.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Purely aesthetic remark: the M030 has some weird marblish thing going on with its finish (some kind of recycled tree resin plastics mixture?). Dunno if it looks good in person or not... Might want to take a look at it in person first if you can.

OP
B

_Bass

Purely aesthetic remark: the M030 has some weird marblish thing going on with its finish (some kind of recycled tree resin plastics mixture?). Dunno if it looks good in person or not... Might want to take a look at it in person first if you can.
Thats the thing, no dealer around so no chance to take a look and listen.

Top Bottom