• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c vs LS50 Meta/Wireless

temps

Objective performance of the 8030 and LS50 Meta is absolutely excellent, in both cases. ASR tends to start splitting hairs in this rarified air. Practically everyone will be extremely happy with either speaker. In a blind test you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Depending where you live, Genelecs may have a major price advantage. The LS50 Meta isn't as heavily or frequently discounted as the old LS50s were... you could save a good chunk of money by waiting for a sale. Assuming cost is equal, amplification is no issue, subwoofer is present & integration options are available, etc. I'd make the decision on cosmetics... so Kef, easily.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a blind test you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

In my limited experience with blind tests and of different but equally great speakers, I find that I can mostly tell them apart, but I have extreme difficulty picking a favorite :confused:.

Last edited:

Ata

Forum Donor
for 5.1 I agree that passives are easier to do, but to correct a few points:

1) 80x0 are analog speakers, no AD/DA conversion inside
2) if RCA is option for AVR you can always go to G series which is essentially the 80x0 with RCA input

I see, so the active crossover in the specs must mean something else than what I thought. :)

OP
NeoZs99

NeoZs99

It'd be great if @amirm could kindly drop his personal opinion, now he freshly reviewed the KEFs :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have a (new) shared home theater and Hi-Fi listening setup, aiming for a 5.2.1 setup.

I like the Genelec 80x0 all metal design and I am sure they will last for as long as needed... However, they are impractical for anything other than a stereo setup:

- You need to route both power and signal cable to each and every speaker;
- You will need a processor with XLR pre-outs -- there are not many of these and will be a lot more expensive than a regular AV receiver;
- One more (48K?) AD/DA conversion -- I know it should be audibly transparent, but it blurs that warm and fuzzy feeling of listening to HiRes music ;).

Thus, it is passive speakers for me. Having listened to KEF R3 and LS50 Meta, it was a very close call, but since neither of them can cover the sub-bass frequency I decided on LS50Metas + sub for about the same cost as the R3 only. One day the R3 Meta will make for a nice upgrade! :)

Some of your statement is not right.

An ordinary rca-xlr cable can be used without trouble with 8030c. No problems whatsoever with rca sources.
The Genelec 8030c dont have an AD or DAC. Its an analog active loudspeaker. The crossover is active and analog.

edit : YSC and markb had already written.

Last edited:

Ata

Forum Donor
Yes, it is the "active crossover" wording in the spec that tripped me -- to me that implies DSP crossover. I do not see a passive (RLC) crossover followed by amplification as being an "active crossover"...

Moosi

I was considering the 8030c, but for a speaker in that price range they really look horrible, like a pair of 79$ speakers actually and with only 5kg they are on the very light side which I find suspicious. A case being slightly moved/levitated with bass response is a bad thing. So I ended up buying the LS50 Meta. I'm mindblown by them on a daily basis. The Metas do have bass! Quite a lot acutally if you put them close to a wall. They definately go a lot lower than 79hz. KEF claims: "Typical in-room bass response (-6dB) 26 Hz" which is kind of silly, but let me tell you they kick surprisingly deep down on some tracks. My head went a lot of times to check if the sub is on by accident.

The "meta disc" now eliminating 99% of the backfired waves (60%@LS50) from the tweeter might also benefit them for being placed close to a wall compared to other speakers, since there is no "leakage" of higher tones through the case, reflecting from the wall behind the speakers. Hence -in my theory- their stage/airyness should not be narrowed down as much by close to wall application.

Last edited:

Ata

Forum Donor
I can confirm that the LS50 Meta are anything but bass shy in a room, even when they are a meter away from the back wall. They can also go very loud with the right amplification, louder than I would personally like it for more than a few minutes.

The problem, though, is that Amir's measurements show too much bass THD, in the lowest frequencies over 100% when driven to 96db/1m. Thus they respond very nicely to being paired with a sub or two, as long as it is done well.

Moosi

The problem, though, is that Amir's measurements show too much bass THD, in the lowest frequencies over 100% when driven to 96db/1m.
I don't see a real problem here. It is a two-way speaker with 130mm cones. I would not expect it to play clean deep bass @96db/1m, nor would I pick this sort of speaker If I would regularily play music at those volume levels. Recently I got myself a smartphone app to measure my db levels. Made it to peak to 88db in my small room, but it was really blowing my brains out, since I can barely move away further than 1,5m from the speakers.

I've read from people using 5 LS50 Meta in a 5.1 setup with a sub and a crossover. This might be the ultimate sound cathedral a mortal could be longing for.

Josq

Same question here: could the LS50 Meta be better than the 8030 (or 8020)? I have a subwoofer and use it for near-field monitoring. So limitations in bass extension and max SPL are not an issue.

LS50 Meta is near-ideal as a point source. 8030 has lower distortion. I have no idea which advantage is more important.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "meta disc" now eliminating 99% of the backfired waves (60%@LS50) from the tweeter might also benefit them for being placed close to a wall compared to other speakers, since there is no "leakage" of higher tones through the case, reflecting from the wall behind the speakers. Hence -in my theory- their stage/airyness should not be narrowed down as much by close to wall application.
The back waves of the tweeter are also no problem in this case on most other loudspeakers (except maybe few that have a tweeter rear tube open on the back) as they don't get out from the closed rear tweeter enclosure, but get reflected back to the front dome which can radiate them, that's why the meta material absorber is used.

Moosi

LS50 Meta is near-ideal as a point source. 8030 has lower distortion. I have no idea which advantage is more important.
I believe there is a definite advantage from having a coaxial driver in a nearfield setup. However, the tweeter of the 8030 is very close to its woofer and has quite a deep waveguide that could eliminate the problem of hearing two different waves "crashing" into one another more or less. Having lower distortion in what? The 8030 can't have less distortion in the tweeter, since the Meta is already close to perfect in that regard. It might be a little cleaner in the lower range with a less distorted bass on high volume, but does that matter in a nearfield setup with a woofer? Not really. Get both to test at home and report on your findings.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same question here: could the LS50 Meta be better than the 8030 (or 8020)? I have a subwoofer and use it for near-field monitoring. So limitations in bass extension and max SPL are not an issue.

It's a good question, and a good comparison. I think it depends on usage.

8030c will play louder and with lower distortion, but LS50 has much better directivity and should image better. LS50 response actually looks slightly better to my eye. I'm assuming more normal amplification here, Amir's results bias scores towards passives since he has 1000W and $50,000 worth of amplification.

Neither is really suitable for loud farfield listening(with or without subs), but 8030c is slightly more suited to that. If it were my money, I'd go for the LS50. With subs, it should satisfy for most situations(imo), and the true point source nature offers significant advantage.

I also prefer the looks of the LS50, but that's more subject to preference.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a good question, and a good comparison. I think it depends on usage.

8030c will play louder and with lower distortion, but LS50 has much better directivity and should image better. LS50 response actually looks slightly better to my eye. I'm assuming more normal amplification here, Amir's results bias scores towards passives since he has 1000W and $50,000 worth of amplification.

Neither is really suitable for loud farfield listening(with or without subs), but 8030c is slightly more suited to that. If it were my money, I'd go for the LS50. With subs, it should satisfy for most situations(imo), and the true point source nature offers significant advantage.

I also prefer the looks of the LS50, but that's more subject to preference.
Couldn't have said it better and I have owned the LS50 Meta, KH 120 and larger 6,5" Genelec M040.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hi all, trying to make this same exact decision. Had any auditioned both?

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi all, trying to make this same exact decision. Had any auditioned both?
tonality is similar, the 8030C goes deeper in bass but the imaging in the LS50W II is always better as it's coaxial, I ended up choose the 8030 due to :

1) Amirm's review which is basically near flawless for it's class
2) being less than half the price in HK, which, even adding a 7040A later, is still cheaper than the LS50W II, and since reliability is great for genelec I could worry less about warranty even buying overseas

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
tonality is similar, the 8030C goes deeper in bass but the imaging in the LS50W II is always better as it's coaxial, I ended up choose the 8030 due to :

1) Amirm's review which is basically near flawless for it's class
2) being less than half the price in HK, which, even adding a 7040A later, is still cheaper than the LS50W II, and since reliability is great for genelec I could worry less about warranty even buying overseas
Thanks! Since I have an amp and svs 1000 pro already, I'm leaning towards the Ls50meta but it sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Reed

I have three 8030c coming on monday to replace my kef ls50 meta, potentially. So I'll let you guys know my thoughts once ive tried them. If these arent any good i may try the kali in8 v2 or stretch to trying the adam s2v
Three as in LCR?

Top Bottom