• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c vs LS50 Meta/Wireless

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How do you crossover subs with the LS50 Meta? I mean looks like you need subs to go >100Hz?

mononoaware

How do you crossover subs with the LS50 Meta? I mean looks like you need subs to go >100Hz?

I think I saw the solution here on ASR.
The answer: use 2 or more subwoofers.
(mask the localisation of higher bass frequencies)

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'd get the Genelecs
No need for a separate amp
Aluminum cabinet is much cooler.
It's more fun to support a small company than a big one.

MRavioli

The Genelec 8030s are excellent. Based on the very high preference score, and Amir's very positive subjective comments, I got some last week to 'benchmark' my own setup. Very impressed with them, such a well balanced sound. Won't be replacing my RCFs with them but would happily have these in a second system if I could. Sadly I have not heard the LS50.

Reed

The 8030s are advertised as a near field speaker. How are they at 8-9’? I think I’ve read on ASR that the 8030s sound small. With a REL (or other quality sub) and Dirac, how do these speakers compare in a small room. It seems that the LS50 Metas are midfield speakers that need a sub. No crime in that. Seems just he opposite with the 8030s. Thoughts?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@NeoZs99 if we are talking primarily about sound.... personally, as you have a sub and are planning for nearfield I would go for the metas over the 8030C, assuming you have an amp. The wireless II are an even better option, but they are more likely to have something go amiss in the electronics, and in a desktop setup you can always EQ the meta to be very close to the Wireless II. But for long term support and durability, I can't think of many companies with Genelec's reputation.

Just remember that the 8030C on-axis is flatter than what is shown, as the vertical angle during Amir's measurement wasn't perfect (as you can see in these two posts). There's still a significant dip in the power response, though.

On the other hand it concerns me a bit that the 8030C is rather sensitive to vertical positioning for nearfield listening, especially above the tweeter axis. It the biggest deal but it's a bigger issue nearfield than farfield.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8030s are advertised as a near field speaker. How are they at 8-9’? I think I’ve read on ASR that the 8030s sound small. With a REL (or other quality sub) and Dirac, how do these speakers compare in a small room. It seems that the LS50 Metas are midfield speakers that need a sub. No crime in that. Seems just he opposite with the 8030s. Thoughts?

Nothing specific that makes a speaker nearfield or farfield really, just can it go loud enough for your used while not distorting to the max. If a sub is used, I assume the differences in apparent 'size' are going to be miniscule. In my experience a 4-inch speaker cross with a sub can sound just as big as a 5, or 6-inch speaker from about 10ft away -- although admittedly, I don't usually listen very loud.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
And the 8030 is the equivalent to the Genelec G3 which is advertised as a home theater speaker. 8030 works fine at 9 feet provided you are able to coax enough volume out of it for your requirements.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
On the other hand it concerns me a bit that the 8030C is rather sensitive to vertical positioning for nearfield listening, especially above the tweeter axis. It the biggest deal but it's a bigger issue nearfield than farfield.
Indeed, but it's probably normal when crossing at 3 kHz. Someone advanced the hypothesis that Genelec may be using a Butterworth filter for the crossover, instead of the usual LR.

Reed

I‘ve been looking at the specs provided by Genelec and Kef and for the 8030c and the LS50 Wireless II. For max SPL, the 8030c is 104db and the Kef is 106db, both at 1 meter. The Kef has a 200 watt amp for the midwoofer so that makes sense. So 2db difference. It seems like if you plan on using a sub, these speakers are basically interchangeable for nearfield or use in a small room at reasonable levels. The Kef has a full suite of streaming options and a nice app with the new version. If you don’t need that, the Genelec look like a good deal.

YSC

Major Contributor
I‘ve been looking at the specs provided by Genelec and Kef and for the 8030c and the LS50 Wireless II. For max SPL, the 8030c is 104db and the Kef is 106db, both at 1 meter. The Kef has a 200 watt amp for the midwoofer so that makes sense. So 2db difference. It seems like if you plan on using a sub, these speakers are basically interchangeable for nearfield or use in a small room at reasonable levels. The Kef has a full suite of streaming options and a nice app with the new version. If you don’t need that, the Genelec look like a good deal.
For that woofer size I actually skeptical of the max power output.. seems will overdrive it and not really useful, for ~2m use personally I feel the 8030C and LS50 should be fine, only the bass might be stressing the drivers a bit much, which if you get a well integrated sub should be fine

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Subjective opinions are like anal sphincters: everyone has one, yet they believe that others stink.

The aroma in my bedroom system is delightful - KEF R3’s + Kube, Cambridge 80 integrated with Bluetooth and sourced from Tidal, Amazon and Apple Music. I refer to it as LS50s on steroids. Sort of like violets or the nose of a fine California Cabernet :).

YSC

Major Contributor
Subjective opinions are like anal sphincters: everyone has one, yet they believe that others stink.

The aroma in my bedroom system is delightful - KEF R3’s + Kube, Cambridge 80 integrated with Bluetooth and sourced from Tidal, Amazon and Apple Music. I refer to it as LS50s on steroids. Sort of like violets or the nose of a fine California Cabernet :).
I actually like KEF a lot, especially the LS50 was always one of my favorite in design. only trouble to me is that the LS50W and WII are costing quite a lot, and that the electronics don't seems to last as long as I'd like for a product in this price range..

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
“the electronics don't seems to last as long as I'd like for a product in this price range..”

I am not aware of reports on electronic failures. Please refer me to any reports of such.

As a generality on electronic gear (tubes excluded), absent infant mortality, one can expect many years of service.

There are exceptions - I bought a Marantz Model 19 receiver in 1970 (also called “Saul’s Revenge”) that spent more time in the warranty shop than working.

YSC

Major Contributor
“the electronics don't seems to last as long as I'd like for a product in this price range..”

I am not aware of reports on electronic failures. Please refer me to any reports of such.

As a generality on electronic gear (tubes excluded), absent infant mortality, one can expect many years of service.

There are exceptions - I bought a Marantz Model 19 receiver in 1970 (also called “Saul’s Revenge”) that spent more time in the warranty shop than working.
I didn't really looked into this, I would admit it's just some kind of ppl once a while complain in forum type incidents, but anyway, for myself even it did last for decades, the price is a bit steep and really holds down my payment decision

Kachda

Forum Donor

I’m a fan of the kef design (own the r3s). Before buying the r3, i was strongly considering getting the ls50w as a one and done solution. But when I called up a dealer near me, he told me that he had many clients who had to get their ls50w sent back to kef because of firmware issues and suggested I do not get them. So it may not be a hardware failure but still, I would be a bit vary of something that has everything including software built in. If Kef came out with active speakers, but the software was left to some kind of hub I think I’d be more comfortable.

YSC

Major Contributor
I’m a fan of the kef design (own the r3s). Before buying the r3, i was strongly considering getting the ls50w as a one and done solution. But when I called up a dealer near me, he told me that he had many clients who had to get their ls50w sent back to kef because of firmware issues and suggested I do not get them. So it may not be a hardware failure but still, I would be a bit vary of something that has everything including software built in. If Kef came out with active speakers, but the software was left to some kind of hub I think I’d be more comfortable.
I think this is what I used to heard of, problem is to me the LS50W or WII have almost have of it's price down on the compatibility of various wireless connections, when that fails and only remain as a USB speaker... it seems the price isn't justified

Ata

Forum Donor
I have a (new) shared home theater and Hi-Fi listening setup, aiming for a 5.2.1 setup.

I like the Genelec 80x0 all metal design and I am sure they will last for as long as needed... However, they are impractical for anything other than a stereo setup:

- You need to route both power and signal cable to each and every speaker;
- You will need a processor with XLR pre-outs -- there are not many of these and will be a lot more expensive than a regular AV receiver;
- One more (48K?) AD/DA conversion -- I know it should be audibly transparent, but it blurs that warm and fuzzy feeling of listening to HiRes music ;).

Thus, it is passive speakers for me. Having listened to KEF R3 and LS50 Meta, it was a very close call, but since neither of them can cover the sub-bass frequency I decided on LS50Metas + sub for about the same cost as the R3 only. One day the R3 Meta will make for a nice upgrade! :)

YSC

Major Contributor
I have a (new) shared home theater and Hi-Fi listening setup, aiming for a 5.2.1 setup.

I like the Genelec 80x0 all metal design and I am sure they will last for as long as needed... However, they are impractical for anything other than a stereo setup:

- You need to route both power and signal cable to each and every speaker;
- You will need a processor with XLR pre-outs -- there are not many of these and will be a lot more expensive than a regular AV receiver;
- One more (48K?) AD/DA conversion -- I know it should be audibly transparent, but it blurs that warm and fuzzy feeling of listening to HiRes music ;).

Thus, it is passive speakers for me. Having listened to KEF R3 and LS50 Meta, it was a very close call, but since neither of them can cover the sub-bass frequency I decided on LS50Metas + sub for about the same cost as the R3 only. One day the R3 Meta will make for a nice upgrade! :)
for 5.1 I agree that passives are easier to do, but to correct a few points:

1) 80x0 are analog speakers, no AD/DA conversion inside
2) if RCA is option for AVR you can always go to G series which is essentially the 80x0 with RCA input

Reactions: kuf

markb

2) if RCA is option for AVR you can always go to G series which is essentially the 80x0 with RCA input

That isn’t even needed, a simple RCA to XLR adapter cable will do with not really any downsides, and that ends up cheaper as well.

Top Bottom