• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c vs LS50 Meta/Wireless

NeoZs99

Hello asr!! Newbie here.I hv been thinking about upgrading my LSR305s since some time and been considering the Genelecs and KEF for nearfield use. Been through the 8030c review thread, and it suits what I've looking for and is also in my budget.
PS:I also hv the svs sb1000 in my setup.

The Genelecs are currently out of stock at Thomann and another alternative would be the kefs. Anyone has had experience with both and would kindly share your opinions on how they directly compare?

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Yes. I can only be positive about the genelecs and would heartily recommend them. I heard the ls 50 but would never consider buying or recommending them.

How they compare:
The genelecs have more bass and present the music therefor in a more balanced/natural way. The Ls50 completely lack bass. I found them sounding boxy too.

The genelecs sound more neutral and never lack in detail. Actually they are amazing for their size and price.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think more direct comparison would be Genelec 8331A vs LS50 Meta,
8341A vs Wireless II.

mononoaware

A pair of 8341a is like 5/6k dollars lad, and the wireless II like 2500. I'm also pretty sure they measure and sound better than the kefs

You get what you pay for. . .
(admittedly probably a bit less)

But seriously would you rather a decade of domestic use (not professional) with the Genelec, or failure in 2.5 years of domestic use with the KEF LS50Wii (assuming KEF didn’t learn anything with the failures of LS50Wireless models).

Last edited:

mononoaware

Actually the genelec 8030C measure and sound better while costing less.

(If somebody would only consider Kef I would recommend the R3 over the ls50.)

But consumers looking at the LS50 typically do so for the “coaxial design” and its “benefits”.
At least that is a big part of its marketing and pulls customers.

There are other coaxial design speakers which get little to no attention or new coaxial speakers which disappear quickly because when typical consumers think “coaxial” they first think “KEF LS50” and are drawn in by its pull.

So anyway I think Coaxial vs coaxial is more apples to apples for most people.

Last edited:

mononoaware

I think the LS50 can be okay IF:
1) You don't need high SPL.
2) You can use fine grained EQ and have anechoic data to guide you.

I think bass-extension is where LS50 Meta struggles most (had to dig into KEF white paper to find it: 79hz -3dB).
And due to coaxial design I think boosting the bass with DSP (like they do with LS50Wireless) will do it no favours.

Which reminds you how the Genelec coaxial design is far superior.
3-way design keeping intermodulation distortion to a minimum at all SPL.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

The value of a discussion forum such as ASR:

I always though the Kef R3 to be $1800 each. This discussion made me realized it was for the pair. That makes it a screaming bargain worth of consideration. Looking at the review, it is also very low in distortion from 200 Hz and up at most sane SPL.
Good directivity ...
Decent bass , although I can't think of a case where any system shouldn't have multiple subs :)
Regardless, this is one gem of a speaker.

mononoaware

By the way, OP uses a subwoofer, so it's okay (only if OP uses the high pass filter on his SB1000)

I forgot to consider that, yes with SB1000 high-pass they could save money there and go for LS50 Meta (which measures well).
I was definitely not a fan of the original LS50 though, with metallic ringing of the aluminium dome and treble tuning.
Maybe the Meta made improvements in this regard.

mononoaware

I always though the Kef R3 to be $1800 each. This discussion made me realized it was for the pair. That makes it a screaming bargain worth of consideration.

I have not been here on ASR very long. . .
But I recall reading multiple comments regarding the KEF R3 + SB1000/SB2000 combination (it is popular recommendation on ASR).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hello asr!! Newbie here.I hv been thinking about upgrading my LSR305s since some time and been considering the Genelecs and KEF for nearfield use. Been through the 8030c review thread, and it suits what I've looking for and is also in my budget.
PS:I also hv the svs sb1000 in my setup.

The Genelecs are currently out of stock at Thomann and another alternative would be the kefs. Anyone has had experience with both and would kindly share your opinions on how they directly compare?
By the way, do you already have an amplifier? Because if you don't, I'd go right for the Genelec.

mononoaware

By the way, do you already have an amplifier?

Amplifiers can be had for cheap though. . .

It seems what disturbs OP the most is high cost of Genelec.
Even I think Genelec can knock off $1k off their prices.

But they never drop in price for good reason (like most well-made Professional Audio gear).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not been here on ASR very long. . .
But I recall reading multiple comments regarding the KEF R3 + SB1000/SB2000 combination (it is popular recommendation on ASR).
True but I had dismissed these up to now, as coming from fanbois .... without any investigation.. :facepalm:. Some of us, so-called "objectivists" have our strong biases and prejudices :(.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Amplifiers can be had for cheap though. . .

It seems what disturbs OP the most is high cost of Genelec.
Even I think Genelec can knock off $1k off their prices.

But they never drop in price for good reason (like most well-made Professional Audio gear).
My opinion is that their speakers are mostly fairly priced (in Europe), but not their subwoofers.

mononoaware

True but I had dismissed these up to now, as coming from fanbois .... without any investigation.. :facepalm:. Some of us, so-called "objectivists" have our strong biases and prejudices :(.

Well I understood it a completely different way.

The R3 reviewed by Amir measured well (if anything a little treble hot which is safely correctable via EQ/DSP).
And the SVS SB1000/SB2000 being a decent price/performance subwoofer.
I thought such a combination was quite a natural preference for ASR members.

I think KEF makes enough money from mainstream customers.
I would support and pick the Genelec over any KEF, to me it’s the difference between something serious and something on display in a store.

Last edited:

mononoaware

Hope it's not the retarded new Pro model that ditched the high pass filter).

To my understanding SB1000/SB2000 both have fixed high-pass.
The SB2000 Pro model replaced all the knobs with a bunch of buttons, but gained Smart-phone app tuning of DSP.

But yes it would good for OP to confirm what model they have and the features of that model before making a purchase.

Edit: I was wrong, SB1000/2000 have fixed value (80hz?) high-pass.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@NeoZs99

You already have a sub. What do you use to integrate it with the mains? How satisfied are you with the integration?

I have not heard the Kef R3 but its objective merits make it a strong contender. It is better than the much heralded LS50. If you have amplification, I would consider these rather than the Genelec 6030c. Vertical Directivty is another thing that I have come to pay attention to. There again the R3 is exemplary.
Adding a second sub would bring such as system to a high level with correct integration of mains and subs. A third sub... The stuff of dreams IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom