• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C vs 8040B (for a pretty small room,the picture = 9 by 11 feet room).. Help me pick !

vinc2097

I want to upgrade my HS5. Its for music production. Electronic music. I want clearer low end without having a boomy room and a lot of mud. My room is small and partially threated.

With 8030C i would stil have 5 inches monitors, but probably stronger than HS5
with 8040B, 6.5 and way more power but probably too much for my room ?

158723725_183427119972044_8687864027830479725_n.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For your listening distance, 8040's are overkill.
I have 8040's and listened to this exact distance.
I'd go deaf before hitting the 8040's "limiter" at this distance.

Alternatively, I put 8040's about 3m away, and then watched some movies, and listened to music at high volumes...then could barely hit the 'limiter' of the speaker.

8030's for desk-setup is a better choice, IMO.

Plus, according to Genelec, proper summation of drivers occurs at...
0.5m (distance from the monitor) for 8030's
Almost 1m (distance from the monitor) for 8040's.
1615493957626.png

OP
V

vinc2097

For your listening distance, 8040's are overkill.
I have 8040's and listened to this exact distance.
I'd go deaf before hitting the 8040's "limiter" at this distance.

Alternatively, I put 8040's about 3m away, and then watched some movies, and listened to music at high volumes...then could barely hit the 'limiter' of the speaker.

8030's for desk-setup is a better choice, IMO.

Plus, according to Genelec, proper summation of drivers occurs at...
0.5m (distance from the monitor) for 8030's
Almost 1m (distance from the monitor) for 8040's.

thanks man ! actually i already ordered the 8040.. im so dumb.. might sell them at a lost of couple hundreds and get the 8030c haha

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
thanks man ! actually i already ordered the 8040.. im so dumb.. might sell them at a lost of couple hundreds and get the 8030c haha
Well, you could put them on dedicated speaker stands (not on the desk) and make sure you're at least 1m away.
In other words, you can still make it work, without selling them. ;)

Plus, it gives you more headroom, in case you decide to upgrade to change to a bigger room in the future. :)

Decisions, decisions, haha.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not a bad choice. See if you like them before selling. You probably will like them a lot.

I have 8030C, which I bought over 8040 because of lower price only. If you have the money, and room on your desk why get smaller?

cursive

Forum Donor

Yeah I agree with sweetchaos on this one, definitely give the 8040 a shot if you already purchased them. Nothing wrong with having the ability to turn it up loud if you really want to, or go to a bigger room. With a smaller speaker once you're on the limit there's nothing you can do. You'll also get the benefit of better bass, looks like a -6db @ 41hz vs 47hz which is beneficial if you don't have a subwoofer.

The desk actually looks pretty deep, you might be 1m away already, but could always pull it further into the room and use stands.

OP
V

vinc2097

Well, you could put them on dedicated speaker stands (not on the desk) and make sure you're at least 1m away.
In other words, you can still make it work, without selling them. ;)

Plus, it gives you more headroom, in case you decide to upgrade to change to a bigger room in the future. :)

Decisions, decisions, haha.

i spent all my money on the 8040 haha.. hs5 a pair is 450 and i went for a 2300$ genelec pair.. if i bought the 8030c that would have saved me 600$ to buy speaker stands and more rockwool panels haha !

but yeah.. in the future i might buy a house and have a bigger room thats for sure ! i just feel in a small appartment room the 8040 are over-powered and the low-end is unmanagable..

OP
V

vinc2097

Yeah I agree with sweetchaos on this one, definitely give the 8040 a shot if you already purchased them. Nothing wrong with having the ability to turn it up loud if you really want to, or go to a bigger room. With a smaller speaker once you're on the limit there's nothing you can do. You'll also get the benefit of better bass, looks like a -6db @ 41hz vs 47hz which is beneficial if you don't have a subwoofer.

The desk actually looks pretty deep, you might be 1m away already, but could always pull it further into the room and use stands.

hey ! :) i calculated and i am at 60 cm from the speakers ! i should have bought stands i know !! building those on desk stand cost me 60$ in materials one week ago haha, and now they are worthless if i buy stand.. god dam making music is expensive XD

cursive

Forum Donor
Not sure where you bought from, but if the 8040 is more of a burden, and not right for your situation, most places would let you return. Especially if it's still brand new in box. I just wouldn't sell them at a loss and throw away a couple hundred bucks if that could be avoided.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
i just feel in a small appartment room the 8040 are over-powered and the low-end is unmanagable..
Easy solution...since this is a computer-based setup, apply EQ to correct excess bass.

Take a look at this post for a comparison between various Digital Room Correction (DRC) software.

In my case, I didn't apply DRC for my 8040's (with my desktop computer setup), since I simply used 'Equalizer APO' (for Windows) and applied a simple "high pass" PEQ filter below 80hz to remove any bass. I used this PEQ when listening at night, to not disturb everyone else.

OP
V

vinc2097

Not sure where you bought from, but if the 8040 is more of a burden, and not right for your situation, most places would let you return. Especially if it's still brand new in box. I just wouldn't sell them at a loss and throw away a couple hundred bucks if that could be avoided.

its a shop in my city in canada ! on the bill it says in red that all monitors are final purchase and non refundable.. they are not ''brand new in the box'' because i tried them the day i bought them (not more than that). but i told the seller my room was small and the speaker would sit on my desk and he told me it would be fine and not a problem.. so i guess its 50/50 my fault and his.. anyway i would be willing to juste buy another pair from them if they accepted.

OP
V

vinc2097

Easy solution...since this is a computer-based setup, apply EQ to correct excess bass.

Take a look at this post for a comparison between various Digital Room Correction (DRC) software.

In my case, I didn't apply DRC for my 8040's (with my desktop computer setup), since I simply used 'Equalizer APO' (for Windows) and applied a simple "high pass" PEQ filter below 80hz to remove any bass. I used this PEQ when listening at night, to not disturb everyone else.

hey ! thanks for the tip !

on the back of the monitor there is a switch where i can roll off sub bass (100hz and under) by -2, -4 or -6 db. ! i tried it and yes at -6 db reduction its less of a problem. but it creates another problem.. my mix could sounds good with this.. but in other bass heavy system like cars, my songs would have terribly heavy sub bass.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
hey ! thanks for the tip !

on the back of the monitor there is a switch where i can roll off sub bass (100hz and under) by -2, -4 or -6 db. ! i tried it and yes at -6 db reduction its less of a problem. but it creates another problem.. my mix could sounds good with this.. but in other bass heavy system like cars, my songs would have terribly heavy sub bass.
Well, if you have the ability to apply PEQ, then it makes dip switches obsolete.

Top Bottom