• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C versus ATC SCM40 - comparing specs

YSC

Major Contributor
The ATCs are positioned > 1 m from walls...
FA70E342-68FD-4DA5-AC22-C6E3443FD212.jpeg

What I meant was even ignoring sighted bias, if the speakers are not placed at near identical location the room mode can play a big effect, say if your location of atc is resulting in a lot of cancellations at mid to upper bass region levelling the overall SPL using music can result in a very v shaped FR, or if the 8030 is put into A bass null and you level it with a 1khz tone can result in same subjective impression.

So as I said those a wild guess of your observed impression with the data of speaker. Of course it can be the sealed vs ported issue at play but from non EQ in room measurements I’ve seen the room modes are creating a much much larger difference so putting them at different spots can already have a huge effect especially on bass where it radiates 360 degrees

OP
Berlin

Berlin

What I meant was even ignoring sighted bias, if the speakers are not placed at near identical location the room mode can play a big effect, say if your location of atc is resulting in a lot of cancellations at mid to upper bass region levelling the overall SPL using music can result in a very v shaped FR, or if the 8030 is put into A bass null and you level it with a 1khz tone can result in same subjective impression.
This is interesting. I am new to room measurements. I measured my room earlier this year with REW. This is what it looked liked

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 14.32.41.png

I performed the measurements with the microphone in upright position. I used the Var smoothing option. I am going to conduct some more measurements over Christmas. I think someone posted a very nice tutorial in this forum recently...

YSC

Major Contributor
This is interesting. I am new to room measurements. I measured my room earlier this year with REW. This is what it looked liked

View attachment 173028

I performed the measurements with the microphone in upright position. I used the Var smoothing option. I am going to conduct some more measurements over Christmas. I think someone posted a very nice tutorial in this forum recently...
I believe the two lines are the same speaker, just L&R channels? With the bass extending to 35hz I believe these are the ATC.
If so my guess is:
the ATC have a slower roll off due to being closed box, plus tthe location you placed created a null at 45hz and a boost at 35hz, in such your speakers are actually going to almost 30hz flat, so essentially a full range. with 8030C even will wall loading you won't get any significant bass below 40-50hz, and that's where your perception goes.

OP
Berlin

Berlin

I believe the two lines are the same speaker, just L&R channels? With the bass extending to 35hz I believe these are the ATC.
I am sorry, I forgot to explain. You are right. These are the ATCs - the red curve represents the left speaker and the green curve the right one.

Top Bottom