• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030c + SVS sb1000pro setup

B1ackbird

I intend to switch from an Audiophonics Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp paired with some old speakers to an active system. So after some consideration my preference would be to try out the Genelec 8030c (balanced XLR in).
My current gear and which I would like to integrate: Topping E30+L30 (RCA out) as DAC + preamp (volume control) and a SVS sb1000pro (no XLR in/out). I never really bothered with EQs on my computer since my headphones are connected to the Topping too.

What is the best way to now connect all of it? My thoughts and some questions
(i) L30 into sub and connecting the Genelec via RCA to XLR unbalanced cables to the sub (I suppose there is no highpass on the genelecs this way? Some articles recommend not to connect your sub this way, does it really matter?)
(ii) Getting myself a miniDSP and placing it after the L30 (Does it convert the analogue input into digital first, and would it be better to just straight connect it to my computer while sacrificing some comfort?)
(iii) Genelec 8330/8340 (really liked the 8331 in some listening tests, but might be a bit of a stretch regarding price) with the GLM kit and connecting the sub to the genelec out (Does GLM effect analogue out of the Genelecs?)

Badly untreated room except for the two absorbers in the left and right front corner. The room itself is roughly 4 x 5 meters and I would also, but rarely listen from further away. Gonna be for listening purposes only.
IMG_20210614_104154.jpg

Open for other suggestions, too.

p.s. any idea on where to get sufficiently shielded RCA to XLR cables in Germany/Europe that are long enough? I guess DIY would also work here though

NeoZs99

Long time lurker, I do wonder how the 8040 or 8340 compare to the 8030. As for cables I always got quality ones at Thomann..no idea of those being 'sufficiently shielded'

OP
B

B1ackbird

Oh you are right, there is fitting ones on Thomann, thanks.
Sadly they only had the 8030 and 8331 along some Neumann there to test, I missed some richness with the 8030 (mostly IDM, Hip Hop) but I think the subwoofer should mostly fix that. Looking at the measurements on Genelecs website, I'd opt for their newer models i.e. those using class d amps (8040b is still using class ab).

OP
B

B1ackbird

Just to summarize, L30 > RCA split > Sub + Genelec 8030 crossed at 78hz with bass roll off selected on the Genelecs. Adjusted the sub for a few room modes via equalizing. Enjoying the final result.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The SB-1000 Pro includes an unbalanced crossover passthrough. If you connect the L30 to the RCA inputs on the SB-1000 Pro and the 8030Cs to its RCA outputs, the subwoofer will implement both the high pass and low pass at the selected crossover frequency.

(iii) Genelec 8330/8340 (really liked the 8331 in some listening tests, but might be a bit of a stretch regarding price) with the GLM kit and connecting the sub to the genelec out (Does GLM effect analogue out of the Genelecs?)

I'm going through something similar with my new 8431a speakers and KEF subwoofer. My Genelecs have no analogue out. There is a digital pass-through so speakers could be daisy chained with each other and a digital-input sub (if I had one).

For me there's no need to high-pass the input to the main speakers because I could do it from the GLM software. For now I have the sub crossed at the bottom setting, just for the thump.

Top Bottom