• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Deltrus

Howdy! I'm new here, just discovered this website, as I'm pondering replacing my 6~ year old Presonus Eris E5 speakers (I wonder if the old ones are better than their newer ones... I saw your review of the newer generation and was ashamed!) and I've been trying to find out, the score with subwoofer... what subwoofer is used? I have a KRK 10s which I'm prepared to keep using, but interested to know what you are using. Thank you!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Howdy! I'm new here, just discovered this website, as I'm pondering replacing my 6~ year old Presonus Eris E5 speakers (I wonder if the old ones are better than their newer ones... I saw your review of the newer generation and was ashamed!) and I've been trying to find out, the score with subwoofer... what subwoofer is used? I have a KRK 10s which I'm prepared to keep using, but interested to know what you are using. Thank you!
The 'with sub' score is a calculation assuming a theoretical perfect sub with perfect integration. IIRC with a -6 dB point at 15 Hz.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried to put a high-pass filter, something like 96dB/oct around 30Hz, with those speakers? Any noticeable benefit?

ordeith

The 'with sub' score is a calculation assuming a theoretical perfect sub with perfect integration. IIRC with a -6 dB point at 15 Hz.

Thanks. I am trying to exchange the speakers I just bought (Shape 40s) for 2x 8030Cs, and pay the difference of course. I am 'concerned' that I might still want a subwoofer even with these.

I have looked up a few, and am thinking of the SVS SB-1000 (or Pro? seems like the original is discontinued). BUT: I haven't done this in a long time, and I can't see how I would hook up the Genelecs and the sub to my RME ADI 2 DAC. And on the back of the SB-1000 Pro I don't see XLR outputs for speakers.

Sorry for the basic question - I have been reading about this and can't figure out how it should happen - I already bought 2x Mogami Gold cables for the Shape 40s, which will be used for the Genelecs, but hope I'm not wasting money on cables I won't eventually use...

Fenix84

Thanks. I am trying to exchange the speakers I just bought (Shape 40s) for 2x 8030Cs, and pay the difference of course. I am 'concerned' that I might still want a subwoofer even with these.

I have looked up a few, and am thinking of the SVS SB-1000 (or Pro? seems like the original is discontinued). BUT: I haven't done this in a long time, and I can't see how I would hook up the Genelecs and the sub to my RME ADI 2 DAC. And on the back of the SB-1000 Pro I don't see XLR outputs for speakers.

Sorry for the basic question - I have been reading about this and can't figure out how it should happen - I already bought 2x Mogami Gold cables for the Shape 40s, which will be used for the Genelecs, but hope I'm not wasting money on cables I won't eventually use...

From reading around the forum many people recommend the JBL LSR310S because of the XLR In/Outs and crossover.

Some other subs with similar features are.:
ADAM Audio T10S
PreSonus Temblor T10
KRK 10s

I haven't heard any of these subs and they are all priced around the $400 usd.

SeriousSam70

I think the best integration is obtained using the Genelecs 8030 with a Genelec subwoofer: either 2 x Genelec 7040 or 1 x Genelec 7050.
Both models have XLR ins and outs.

ordeith

I think the best integration is obtained using the Genelecs 8030 with a Genelec subwoofer: either 2 x Genelec 7040 or 1 x Genelec 7050.
Both models have XLR ins and outs.

Thanks for this. Would a 7050C 8 inch be enough oomph with 2 8030C?

EDIT: ordered the 7050C. Can't wait to set this all up!

Last edited:

ordeith

Alright, set it all up (2x 8030C and a 7050C) in my room, and love it. Even my wife came in and asked me to put on some...Backstreet Boys...and we danced around a bit. Then we got back to good music.

Question: I bought these ISO 155 speaker stands before for my Shape 40s (which I returned), and honestly I think they look awful now with the 8030Cs. I need a desktop solution since these are on a standing desk - what solution did you desk folks go for? The actual desktop stand from Genelec? Any other ideas?

Trell

Major Contributor
Alright, set it all up (2x 8030C and a 7050C) in my room, and love it. Even my wife came in and asked me to put on some...Backstreet Boys...and we danced around a bit. Then we got back to good music.

Question: I bought these ISO 155 speaker stands before for my Shape 40s (which I returned), and honestly I think they look awful now with the 8030Cs. I need a desktop solution since these are on a standing desk - what solution did you desk folks go for? The actual desktop stand from Genelec? Any other ideas?

I use the Genelec 8000-323b desktop stands for my 8330A and have lots of useful desktop real estate beneath the monitor: https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8000_323b.htm

MaxRockbin

Another stand request: Ideally, I'd like to put my 8030Cs on a mic stand or similar using the bottom mount hole. The catch is, I'm sitting in a chair (no desk), so the minimum height of the stand has to be pretty low. My ear height is around 40" or 1m. The mount on the bottom of the 8030C is 7" below the acoustic axis, so the minimum height of the stands should be 33" / 84cm or less (it'd be nice to have a little flexibility).

The mic stands I'm finding are too small or too big or too flimsy for 11lb speakers. I'm in the US, so something I can order here would be nice.

I'm also open to other floor stand suggestions for these speakers that would work at that height. I'm looking for something dog resistant. My dog brushed into my old stands with my previous speakers. The speakers survived, but the corner hit my TV screen and that did not...
Thanks!

Trell

Major Contributor
Interested in those stands, do you mind taking a photo? Curious on how they look on it

Sure, here are a couple. It's a small home office for two persons that's seen much usage during the pandemic:

1630949568581.jpeg

1630949484976.jpeg

Trell

Major Contributor
The acoustic panels pattern looks very nice. Are they custom made by you or something that's commercially available to order?

The panels are Impression Pro Series 50 mm (2 inch) from GIK Acoustics that has an attached scatter plate. I bought from the EU subsidiary: https://gikacoustics.eu/product/impression-series-50mm-acoustic-panel-diffusor-absorber/

The panels was added to reduce the slap/flutter we had during video calls while not making the room sound "dead", and thicker panels would reduce the space too much. They also look nice as a background in video calls :)

ordeith

Those stands look great to me. Not to bash the ISO 155 stands, but they are nowhere close either aesthetically or in practical terms, albeit a bit cheaper.

Going to return the ISO stands and get 2 of those for the Genelecs. You do take off the rubber 'guidance' feet underneath, right?

Trell

Major Contributor
Those stands look great to me. Not to bash the ISO 155 stands, but they are nowhere close either aesthetically or in practical terms, albeit a bit cheaper.

Going to return the ISO stands and get 2 of those for the Genelecs. You do take off the rubber 'guidance' feet underneath, right?

Yes, I took them off along with the metal holder for them.

In US the Genelec monitors and accessories are quite a bit more expensive than in EU (where I live) but I recall that some member(s) found it cheaper to buy the stands from thomann.de and import them to USA. Just in case you don't live in EU.

txbdan

I also have the Genelec “L” stands and am happy with them despite their price. Be sure to read through this thread. Lots of chatter on subs and stands.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, I took them off along with the metal holder for them.

In US the Genelec monitors and accessories are quite a bit more expensive than in EU (where I live) but I recall that some member(s) found it cheaper to buy the stands from thomann.de and import them to USA. Just in case you don't live in EU.

Unfortunately Thomann.de won't ship Genelec products to the USA.

hihoendless

i 've just received a 7040a subwoofer to go with my 8030
I just have a doubt about the input sensitivity : what is the best setting?
my setting is
7030 -6db
8030 0db

Top Bottom