• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

D

Deleted member 12642

I don't find them to sound small. I have them setup in nearfield in what I'd say is a medium sized room. The kh80s I had before definitely sounded small.

bit of an edit, had them in the living room today, while they werent small sounding, they definitely didnt fill up the large room with what you would wnat, granted they were also nowhere near any boundaries, I think the low end gets the proper room gain in my studio, but the living room is too big.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What’s the best way to connect 8030c to a laptop ? Since it accepts digital inputs is there an easy way to convert usb to xlr ?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What’s the best way to connect 8030c to a laptop ? Since it accepts digital inputs is there an easy way to convert usb to xlr ?
Doesn’t Genelec 8030 have an analog XLR input only?
I guess you can go dual analog XLR male cables to 3.5mm aux male cable (to laptop) for easiest setup.
Or through a DAC.

D

Deleted member 12642

They only have analog inputs, so you'll want something that can give you balanced outputs.

mkawa

Phantom imaging is very good. They have trouble pushing high spl at lf. Understandable given the driver size. Otherwise from the upper midrange up I could not ab them from 80x0 for larger x

YSC

Major Contributor
They only have analog input, so as sweetchaos said the easiest way is to get a 3.5mm to XLR cable, but then I doubt the NB 3.5mm out would be free of interference noise. If that don’t work you would better off get a small dac with xlr output like schiit modius and connect them to the 8030 with generic XLR cables

stoyania

I just picked up my paid of 8030C monitors from thomann (shipped fairly quickly to Australia). I'm upgrading from the 305P MKii's.

Apart from the imagine and clarity being very noticably better, it feels like I've added a sub to my system in comparison! That's crazy from what it not only the same size woofer but a much smaller cabinet too.

I'm still experimenting with the switches on the back and with Dirac Live but so far it's an very strong first impression.

hello, if I may ask how much was your totalAUD (including everything) for those to australia?

Kachda

Forum Donor
They only have analog input, so as sweetchaos said the easiest way is to get a 3.5mm to XLR cable, but then I doubt the NB 3.5mm out would be free of interference noise. If that don’t work you would better off get a small dac with xlr output like schiit modius and connect them to the 8030 with generic XLR cables
Thanks..so looks like buying 8030c will require an additional $200 or so for a balanced DAC (and if I am getting a DAC might as well get one with volume control)

Kachda

Forum Donor
Doesn’t Genelec 8030 have an analog XLR input only?
I guess you can go dual analog XLR male cables to 3.5mm aux male cable (to laptop) for easiest setup.
Or through a DAC.
Thanks, for some reason I thought they only accept digital.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks, for some reason I thought they only accept digital.
maybe you confused the 80x0 all analog lineup with the 83xx DSP ones, the DSP ones are able to accept both analog and digital input in the same XLR connector

Thanks..so looks like buying 8030c will require an additional $200 or so for a balanced DAC (and if I am getting a DAC might as well get one with volume control)

yes that would do fine, see what dac fits your need

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
You can get rid of the ground loop, introduced by going dual XLR to 3.5mm (connected to your laptop), by purchasing an isolation transformer like this one for US$11. I've tested it before, and it works wonders.
Along with a 3.5mm to dual XLR, for a total of US$20, you'll have a working solution (albeit, without a wireless remote anyway).
Overall, you definitely don't need to spend a lot of $ to get started.

Also, you don't need to to get a balanced DAC either, as you can go XLR (from speakers) to RCA (to unbalanced DAC) as well.
I'm using my Genelec 8040B's with Topping E30 (unbalanced DAC with remote) in this configuration with no ground loop issues.
The only requirement is a properly grounded XLR to RCA cable, like Ghent Audio's A15 (link) (what I have) or the Monoprice XLR to RCA cable (link).
Most amazon cables you see are incorrectly wired and introduce ground loop issues, so be cautious buying something unverified.

Also, I don't see *highly recommended by Amir* balanced DACs with a remote for below US$400.
DACs with remote above US$400 that come to mind are SMSL SU-9, and Gustard X16, Topping D30Pro.

Last edited:

Draculr

hello, if I may ask how much was your totalAUD (including everything) for those to australia?

I picked up the BStock units on their site and after shipping, GST and customs it ended up being around $1600AU. Not bad considering they go for $2300-2400 here.

Even though they're bstock they look brand new, not a mark or anything on them. I felt more confident shipping these over here due to the proven reliability of Genelec. If it was a less reliable brand I may have just purchased locally.

Lilith

Small would not be a word I'd use to describe them. They're definitely not any "smaller" than other speakers I've had in the past such as the 305P's and T7V's. I have them now set up in a near field environment so the soundstage is limited by that but I feel it's an easy way to get more accurate imaging. If anything they manage to disappear more than the other speakers, so perhaps they're "bigger"? :p

I have them mounted on the following stands right beside my 34" monitor: Wavebone Gemini Height-Adjustable Table Top Speaker Stands (PAIR) - Sounds Easy

Wanted to get the 8030, but I think the bass response of the Adam T7v is better... At least on paper. Is it worse to get the Genelecs in your opinion?

Draculr

Wanted to get the 8030, but I think the bass response of the Adam T7v is better... At least on paper. Is it worse to get the Genelecs in your opinion?

I don't have them back to back to be sure but I was never impressed with the low end of the T7v and that opinion seems to be validated in other reviews I read after owning them. The Genelecs on the other hand do impress me and satisfy me enough even playing Hans Zimmer etc. whose tracks require a decent amount of low end energy.

Buckster

Ordered a single 8030c for use as a centre today after testing how loud I normally listen at to movies and music - 15% off eBay was additional prompt as made it about 30 quid cheaper than I'd seen previously here in UK

Setup is 2x308 II, SVS Ultra 13 and 2 Tannoy rears and a Denon X7200W av amplifier

I happen to have 2 305 Is for a basic studio (keyboard and pc) setup - tested one as a centre but didn't have enough headroom they sounded strained to me even in low 80s at 1m

306 would have fitted upside down but wasn't convinced how it would look and if it hissed as much as my 308s I didn't need that much additional background noise

Hopefully will sound good I was limited on space

Buckster

Arrived today - first impressions

(1) sound fantastic :)

(2) far far less hiss than my 308 IIs by a factor of 10 at least

(3) crossed over at 90 I'm not noticing any lack of power as of yet (listening distance is 2.8m) - I reckon the 308 IIs run out steam first. Certainly my ears gave up before I could get the 8030c to sound strained or compressed

Lilith

Arrived today - first impressions

(1) sound fantastic :)

(2) far far less hiss than my 308 IIs by a factor of 10 at least

(3) crossed over at 90 I'm not noticing any lack of power as of yet (listening distance is 2.8m) - I reckon the 308 IIs run out steam first. Certainly my ears gave up before I could get the 8030c to sound strained or compressed

How about the sub bass extension of the 308 vs 8030?

Buckster

Not sure to be honest I'll try and compare

Certainly sounds much more punchy than the previously tested 2x308 plus 305 as a centre with the 8030c now acting as centre

With the 305 as centre at higher volumes it sounded strained and uncomfortable to listen to

8030c though is a bit under listening position but angled up - needs more of angle though as Audyssey applying quite a bit of boost to treble above 2k yet the 308s in that range the EQ is much nearer to flat

Buckster

Setup is (excuse messy wiring needs sorting). Also white stuff under Genelec is whitetac to angle.a bit more I'll come up with something else that doesnt look like chewing gum !

2x308, 8030c as centre and SVS PC-Ultra 13 sub - for scale it's a 60 inch TV (it's my trusty Panasonic ZT60 which IMO is fantastic :) )

Attachments

• IMG_20210521_134500.jpg
    IMG_20210521_134500.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

dorirod

Hello, I'm curious, what is the actual max SPL (@1m) of this speaker, and can you tell that from the graphs (how)? They advertise 104dB. How is that defined, is it based on the amount of distortion or compression? Thanks

Top Bottom