• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
or you'll have to use passive attenuators
Passive attenuators, or an analog pre-amp, would also attenuate the thump sound, so they could also be enough of a solution. Decreasing the sensitivity of Genelecs is also an option. When DACs produce a startup or shutdown thump, they usually make some constant voltage that is unaffected by digital volume control but analog attenuation does work.

Pancreas

Sorry, I’ve not used such a card card for over a decade as the onboard USB has been sufficient for my usage.

You could enter the BIOS of your PC to see if there are some options there you could tweak, but manufactures like HP usually don’t have much to tweak. There is also possible that a firmware update from HP is available.

so I'm pretty much screwed, short of disassemble and installing a new USB card, which I don't know how to do or which one would fit, or if it will even get rid of the issue.

I had this computer since 2018, maybe is time to upgrade.

I still wonder if is a power issue from Scarlett. I could buy a powered supply audio interface on amazon to test and then return it if it doesn't fix the problem

Trell

Major Contributor
so I'm pretty much screwed, short of disassemble and installing a new USB card, which I don't know how to do or which one would fit, or if it will even get rid of the issue.

I had this computer since 2018, maybe is time to upgrade.

I still wonder if is a power issue from Scarlett. I could buy a powered supply audio interface on amazon to test and then return it if it doesn't fix the problem

I don't think you're "pretty much screwed" and installing a new USB PCI-e card is pretty straightforward, but looking in the manual for how to do this is very much recommended.

Buying a new PC is pretty expensive, and if the one you have now works well for your usage, a new USB PCI-e card is a cheap solution to test first.

Pancreas

I don't think you're "pretty much screwed" and installing a new USB PCI-e card is pretty straightforward, but looking in the manual for how to do this is very much recommended.

Buying a new PC is pretty expensive, and if the one you have now works well for your usage, a new USB PCI-e card is a cheap solution to test first.

I can't find anything. This is my computer

the manual doesn't tell you anything about replacing the IO ports and with what

changer

You should probably visit a local hardware store, if you cannot identify that your motherboard supports 1x PCIe-card from HP’s technical information. Ask someone who is a professional to solve the issue for you and bring them your hardware.

Trell

Major Contributor
I can't find anything. This is my computer

the manual doesn't tell you anything about replacing the IO ports and with what

As for manuals and I recommend that you go the HP site for the most updated manuals. That said, the HP info is quite awful, but from looking at what is available there should be available space for installing PCI-e cards.

You should probably visit a local hardware store, if you cannot identify that your motherboard supports 1x PCIe-card from HP’s technical information. Ask someone who is a professional to solve the issue for you and bring them your hardware.

Probably the best advice if he is not that comfortable with doing this himself. The manual has drawings indicating there are slots available for installing extra cards, but the HP manuals are a mix of crap and shit. If he buy new he should avoid HP for that reason alone.

Pancreas

I spent a lot of money on these speakers to be having this annoyance tbh

The USB ports and other ports in back are actually part of the motherboard, so for me to change this I'd need a new motherboard that somehow will fit there.

The front panel of the desktop, also has a couple of USBs, I may be able to do something there. Where could I find a similar plate IO, even so

The fact this sound happens whether I connect and disconnect the usb cable on front or rear panel, is the motherboard the problem apparently

I need to borrow a laptop or computer to check if the problem happens there as well.

I'd need to replace the motherboard and everything, the audio card/motherboard. How much would one cost, then the cost of repair/labor from the PC guy, might as well buy another computer. These speakers are $1400 the pair.

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• mother.png
    mother.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 482
  • front2.png
    front2.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 485

Trell

Major Contributor
I spent a lot of money on these speakers to be having this annoyance tbh

The USB ports and other ports in back are actually part of the motherboard, so for me to change this I'd need a new motherboard that somehow will fit there.

The front panel of the desktop, also has a couple of USBs, I may be able to do something there. Where could I find a similar plate IO, even so

The fact this sound happens whether I connect and disconnect the usb cable on front or rear panel, is the motherboard the problem apparently

I need to borrow a laptop or computer to check if the problem happens there as well.

I'd need to replace the motherboard and everything, the audio card/motherboard. How much would one cost, then the cost of repair/labor from the PC guy, might as well buy another computer. These speakers are $1400 the pair.

index.php

index.php

The speakers are great and are not the cause of the popping noise.

Not sure that replacing your motherboard will solve anything, unless you know it’s defective. If the pictures are of the internal of your PC, then the first one shows there is a single available PCI-e slot on the left with the right (bigger slot) presumably used by your graphics card.

Pancreas

The speakers are great and are not the cause of the popping noise.

Not sure that replacing your motherboard will solve anything, unless you know it’s defective. If the pictures are of the internal of your PC, then the first one shows there is a single available PCI-e slot on the left with the right (bigger slot) presumably used by your graphics card.

even with that slot there, I don't know how could it be installed or if it will even fix the problem.

Does this pop sound when starting windows damage the speakers or isn't any different from like music? That's my main concern. I can deal with the annoying pop.

I need to borrow a laptop so i can check if the issue happens there as well or not, if it does, then the problem is the audio interface which it seems to be based on this video

changer

You should definitely do this because this is not a personal PC troubleshooting thread and after I told you your motherboard features an extension slot which could both be used for either another USB-board or an internal PCI-express sound interface like the ESI Maya 44 and you did not understand, it could be a good thing to do to ask a professional who knows things.

I get pops from my Focusrite 2i2 when I power up and shut down the computer and the input selection of my Hypex plate amp is set to RCA. I have a decent motherboard, but none of its USB ports does not pop.

changer

even with that slot there, I don't know how could it be installed or if it will even fix the problem.

This is quite obvious and why I recommend you to go to a hardware shop. If the volume is not very high, its a sound among others that is played on the speakers. The voltage bump transmitted via the USB signal will probably not damage the 8030C. Speaking of which, we might return to discuss this speaker.

YSC

Major Contributor
This is quite obvious and why I recommend you to go to a hardware shop. If the volume is not very high, its a sound among others that is played on the speakers. The voltage bump transmitted via the USB signal will probably not damage the 8030C. Speaking of which, we might return to discuss this speaker.
second that, the sound is annoying at most, when it's not out of the scale loud spike, the electric signal input into the electronics of the genelecs are minimal, and it's just like any sound play thorugh, just not as pleasant to the ear as music

Pancreas

So basically my issue is the USB card? Then, how come this pop occurs on both the rear and front USBs? It happens on 2.0 and 3.0. I tried on all the USB port, it happens with all of them. All this points that the problem may be the motherboard or the interface. I think is the interface.

I don't know much about computer modifications and repair. What about the video shown above? All I need to do to diagnose this issue is to borrow a laptop, so I can test the usb ports and see if the pop occurs in that computer as well.

changer

If you knew the other computer would not have an issue at its USB ports ... Why you also needed to have another interface at hand that does not make a popping sound, at which point things where already quite clear. Please do your research first and not obliterate this speaker review thread with HP desktop or Focusrite Scarlett related requests. You might create a thread for the Scarlett in the Audio Interfaces section of this forum, after further experimenting and research from your side. I already gave you a clue that I experience the same with an interface from the series. Thx.

Last edited:

Pancreas

If you knew the other computer would not have an issue at its USB ports ... Why you also needed to have another interface at hand that does not make a popping sound, at which point things where already quite clear. Please do your research first and not obliterate this speaker review thread with HP desktop or Focusrite Scarlett related requests. You might create a thread for the Scarlett in the Audio Interfaces section of this forum, after further experimenting and research from your side. I already gave you a clue that I experience the same with an interface from the series. Thx.

There are 70 pages about this speaker. Personally, I think is overpriced and should've come with RCA inputs as well. Even Yamaha HS5, some cheap $200 speakers have RCAs. Not to mention, no option to turn off this annoying super bright green light, except the sleep mode on. You literally have to ghetto these speakers with some black tape to block this bright light. Speakers sound good, but for $1400, these options should've been included.

Of course, these are added options on the more expensive models, where you have to spend like 1k more to have them. I couldn't care less about GLM and all that stuff, how difficult it was to add the option to turn off an LED light? LED light bulbs and a switcher in the back would be cheap pennies, at $1400? no wayyy

Speakers are cute, but they look more like computer speakers than studio monitor, for better or worse. I like the design, but the green light is really annoying.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Personally, I think is overpriced and should've come with RCA inputs. Not to mention, no option to turn off this annoying super bright green light, except the sleep mode on. Speakers sound good, but for $1400, these options should've been included.

You're pretty much describing the Genelec G Three?

Trell

Major Contributor
There are 70 pages about this speaker. Personally, I think is overpriced and should've come with RCA inputs as well. Even Yamaha HS5, some cheap $200 speakers have RCAs. Not to mention, no option to turn off this annoying super bright green light, except the sleep mode on. You literally have to ghetto these speakers with some black tape to block this bright light. Speakers sound good, but for $1400, these options should've been included.

Of course, these are added options on the more expensive models, where you have to spend like 1k more to have them. I couldn't care less about GLM and all that stuff, how difficult it was to add the option to turn off an LED light? LED light bulbs and a switcher in the back would be cheap pennies, at $1400? no wayyy
Whatever. These are monitors intended for the pro audio market, and for the consumer Genelec has other models.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pancreas , could you just put your Genelec speakers connected to a power strip that has a switch on it that is close to your desk, that way you can just switch the speakers off with a flip of that switch before you shut down the PC, and likewise you can flip them back on once your PC is up & running? Simple solution, just means a manual flip of a switch.

Lilith

You mean a powered usb hub with power supply?

If I use that, I’d have to connect the interface to the hub, but how do i connect hub to pc? With another usb cable?

A non power supply usb hub would draw power from my pc, how would that be different
A powered hub has a separate power supply, while USB data goes over your PC. If you turn off or reboot the PC the hub stays on and there will be no pop (hopefully).

What interface are you using?

Pancreas

@Pancreas , could you just put your Genelec speakers connected to a power strip that has a switch on it that is close to your desk, that way you can just switch the speakers off with a flip of that switch before you shut down the PC, and likewise you can flip them back on once your PC is up & running? Simple solution, just means a manual flip of a switch.

For example, when I turn on and off the speakers with the button on the back, I get no thump sound.

I was getting this "thump" sound after turning on and off my surge protector. I ordered a newer surge protector to test it. The simple solution for this is to leave the surge protect on all the time which I plan to do but I don't trust these MOV protector thats why I turn them off when I leave home or go to sleep. I'm going to buy a Zero surge protector.

My issue is little pops that happen when the computer gives power to the audio interface, how do I know this?

The pop and green "monitor" light on the interface are in sync, which means is caused by the power from the computer, from the USB.

The solution to this is buy an audio interface with its own power supply, that way, the interface is only connected to PC for data, not power.

Top Bottom