• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

fabius

I got a pair of 8030c's last week and am enjoying them so far. I got the Raw finish which I know some people don't like but which I love. Nicely brutalist, truth-to-materials, and all that. My previous speakers (AudioEngine A2+) were small so the Genelecs look almost comically large on my desk, like someone's zapped some "computer speakers" with an enlarging ray. Good fun.

I have them running from a Topping EX5 using balanced XLR cables.

Regarding hiss - I can hear a little if I put my ear right up to one of the speakers, but not from my usual listening position, about 1m away. My Apple Watch measures the room at 33dB with speakers turned off - it's pretty quiet here in the countryside - and if I put my watch right up close to a turned-on speaker it measures 34dB. So I wonder what the difference is with these people who are bothered by a hiss? (Oh, I am 50 - maybe the hiss is only audible to younger ears?)

Finally, a question: I have a sub and want to try running it directly from the RCA sockets on the EX5 (the sub doesn't have an output, so I can't run from EX5 to sub to Genelec). Any suggestions for what crossover frequency to set on the sub?

txbdan

You'll want to HPF the 8030Cs as well. The Genelec subs crossover at 85Hz I believe so that's probably good place to start.

My 8030Cs hiss not to a terribly bothersome level, I really only notice when the go to sleep and the hiss stops, but it's definitely there. Mine are placed about 3ft away.

Fenix84

I got a pair of 8030c's last week and am enjoying them so far. I got the Raw finish which I know some people don't like but which I love. Nicely brutalist, truth-to-materials, and all that. My previous speakers (AudioEngine A2+) were small so the Genelecs look almost comically large on my desk, like someone's zapped some "computer speakers" with an enlarging ray. Good fun.

Regarding hiss - I can hear a little if I put my ear right up to one of the speakers, but not from my usual listening position, about 1m away. My Apple Watch measures the room at 33dB with speakers turned off - it's pretty quiet here in the countryside - and if I put my watch right up close to a turned-on speaker it measures 34dB. So I wonder what the difference is with these people who are bothered by a hiss? (Oh, I am 50 - maybe the hiss is only audible to younger ears?)

Finally, a question: I have a sub and want to try running it directly from the RCA sockets on the EX5 (the sub doesn't have an output, so I can't run from EX5 to sub to Genelec). Any suggestions for what crossover frequency to set on the sub?

Haha, just wanted to say that I went from AudioEngine A2+ to the Genelec 8030s and I'm also running them balanced from the Topping EX5.

Yes, i know exactly what you mean about the size change, it took a little awhile to get used to, now they look normal.

YSC

Major Contributor

For hiss I believe it really depends on how quiet your room is, as well as gain setting on the Genelec, remember in Genelec the sensitivity setting of +6 db is actually lowest gain (I messed that up as I instinctively think -6db should be lowest gain). With my source I need a passive pre amp to make listening volume reasonable, that way even I put my ears to the tweeter in a not so quiet city apartment I can't hear any hiss at all, and my hearing should be still quite ok (can hear up to 18khz at age 37, and averaged listening level above 70 is already too much for me, usually can hear all details at 60-65db average level). I GUESS that the hiss is more about the high noise floor of the chip amp inside (as expected), which turning up the internal gain will worsen it and lowering it will improve it, of course the mains voltage or cleaniness may have something to do as in HK the power should be quite a bit more stable than most of the world do.

For the sub, I think 85hz is a good start where the genelec subs high pass frequency lies, it takes out the last 30hz of FR from the 8030 which makes them more comfortable, and yet it isn't crossing too high to make localization a problem. IMO you might want to engage all the bass tilt and roll off switches as well as desktop on the 8030 to make it roll off to that frequency as crossover, but you will need REW and some calibrated mic to do the integration work to see how the response summed up and correct potential phase issues

fabius

Thanks all. I'll have a play with the sub and the Genelec switches.

Currently I have switches 1 and 5 on - Desktop and -4dB Bass Tilt, because they're 10-15cm in front of a wall, on the desk.

For hiss I believe it really depends on how quiet your room is, as well as gain setting on the Genelec, remember in Genelec the sensitivity setting of +6 db is actually lowest gain (I messed that up as I instinctively think -6db should be lowest gain).
Can you explain the gain to me, as I don't see anything in the manual about "gain", and I'm new at this.

With my source I need a passive pre amp to make listening volume reasonable, that way even I put my ears to the tweeter in a not so quiet city apartment I can't hear any hiss at all, and my hearing should be still quite ok (can hear up to 18khz at age 37, and averaged listening level above 70 is already too much for me, usually can hear all details at 60-65db average level).
Volume is fine for me - I have the EX5 set on 50% and my Mac's volume is about 50% and that's a good general volume, about 65dB. I did turn it them both up momentarily, until it reached 100dB and WOAH that was enough, before it reached the maximum possible.

I must admit that if I didn't already have this sub (which I bought to beef up the sound when I only had the AudioEngine A2+s and no more desk space) I probably wouldn't think of getting one. Generally the Genelecs have enough bass for my undemanding ears, and I can live without organ-vibrating bass levels while I'm sitting at the computer!

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks all. I'll have a play with the sub and the Genelec switches.

Currently I have switches 1 and 5 on - Desktop and -4dB Bass Tilt, because they're 10-15cm in front of a wall, on the desk.

Can you explain the gain to me, as I don't see anything in the manual about "gain", and I'm new at this.

Volume is fine for me - I have the EX5 set on 50% and my Mac's volume is about 50% and that's a good general volume, about 65dB. I did turn it them both up momentarily, until it reached 100dB and WOAH that was enough, before it reached the maximum possible.

I must admit that if I didn't already have this sub (which I bought to beef up the sound when I only had the AudioEngine A2+s and no more desk space) I probably wouldn't think of getting one. Generally the Genelecs have enough bass for my undemanding ears, and I can live without organ-vibrating bass levels while I'm sitting at the computer!
the gain is a twisting sensitivity switch you need a screw driver to turn, at the back you should see a know marked -6db to +6db, turn it all the way to +6 and it will have least gain for the internal amp, basically allowing your dac to output higher and have less hissing noise

what is your sub actually? sub integration is important to make things don't sound off/delayed, if you don't use/play around with REW measurements to optimise it I bet let the 8030 work their own would sound better. I myself due to space constrain and reluctance to do x over I used the Genelec 7040A, which have default high pass, but then I used Rew to match the levels and phase before it really sound nice

Trell

Major Contributor
the gain is a twisting sensitivity switch you need a screw driver to turn, at the back you should see a know marked -6db to +6db, turn it all the way to +6 and it will have least gain for the internal amp, basically allowing your dac to output higher and have less hissing noise

what is your sub actually? sub integration is important to make things don't sound off/delayed, if you don't use/play around with REW measurements to optimise it I bet let the 8030 work their own would sound better. I myself due to space constrain and reluctance to do x over I used the Genelec 7040A, which have default high pass, but then I used Rew to match the levels and phase before it really sound nice

I'll add to that for a given constant input signal an increasing the the value of the "knob" on the monitor will make the monitor play more quiet, but for input to a recording interface it's just the opposite. Turning the sensitivity knob to be more positive you'll also make it hiss less, per Genelec design.

As for subwoofer use: The low cut is not intended for use with a subwoofer, so you'll have to test for yourself if the result is acceptable for you.

fabius

My sub is a BK Electronics Gemini 2, made in the UK. Below is a diagram of the rear controls from the PDF manual.

I'm using the low level input. My room is small - 2.5m x 3m - which I'm guessing means I have less need of a sub than if it was a large space?

D0C7DF2A-F857-4BD8-803A-45D5B0E60A0C.jpeg

YSC

Major Contributor
My sub is a BK Electronics Gemini 2, made in the UK. Below is a diagram of the rear controls from the PDF manual.

I'm using the low level input. My room is small - 2.5m x 3m - which I'm guessing means I have less need of a sub than if it was a large space?
No really, a well integrated sub will always be better than using the spakers alone. But thing is that you need to spend quite some effort to integrate the sub placement, phase delay, crossover point and the sub level to make it in line at listening position with your 8030. Otherwise you can experience a lot of problem like mismatch level, bass sounded delayed or cancellation etc.

iNetRunner

montyliam

Im looking to use these in a music/home cinema setup, they will be around 2m away from the MLP and will be crossed over around 120hz to a pair of capable subs. What sort of max spls am I looking at at this distance and XO. I listen to mainly techno/house and ocasioanlly like to listen loud! Thanks

Trell

Major Contributor
Im looking to use these in a music/home cinema setup, they will be around 2m away from the MLP and will be crossed over around 120hz to a pair of capable subs. What sort of max spls am I looking at at this distance and XO. I listen to mainly techno/house and ocasioanlly like to listen loud! Thanks
These are small monitors intended for near field so at two meters you might find they’ll struggle.

What kind of max SPL are you looking for?

montyliam

These are small monitors intended for near field so at two meters you might find they’ll struggle.

What kind of max SPL are you looking for?
Probably around 85-90dbc, like I say 120hz and below will be dealt with by subwoofers, so not sure how hard they can be pushed above this.

Reed

Probably around 85-90dbc, like I say 120hz and below will be dealt with by subwoofers, so not sure how hard they can be pushed above this.
I’ve run that loud with my 8030c’s on a number of occasions . I have a small room though, and even though my listening position is the same as yours, I probably get a few db of room gain. IOW, a larger room won’t get that boost. My main concern prior to purchasing the 8030c was whether they could go loud enough. In an 11’x11’ room I have seen peaks over 100 db as registered by my phone app. And that was just seeing what they could do. The speakers never went into protection, btw. My normal listening is around 70-75db. Purchase via Sweetwater and you can return to a store for no penalty (I think). They are truly wonderful speakers.

montyliam

I’ve run that loud with my 8030c’s on a number of occasions . I have a small room though, and even though my listening position is the same as yours, I probably get a few db of room gain. IOW, a larger room won’t get that boost. My main concern prior to purchasing the 8030c was whether they could go loud enough. In an 11’x11’ room I have seen peaks over 100 db as registered by my phone app. And that was just seeing what they could do. The speakers never went into protection, btw. My normal listening is around 70-75db. Purchase via Sweetwater and you can return to a store for no penalty (I think). They are truly wonderful speakers.
My room is 8’x16’. Seating against the back treated back wall, and speakers around 2m away from the listening position. Normal listening will be 75db but i occasionally like to crank it.

Reed

My room is 8’x16’. Seating against the back treated back wall, and speakers around 2m away from the listening position. Normal listening will be 75db but i occasionally like to crank it
If you’re sitting on the 16’ wall, the speakers are physically small and they can take a position relatively close to the front wall without issue - that gives you more room And less sidewall reflections than the other way. But I wouldn’t hesitate trying them. Your normal listening volume is easy and I wouldn’t expect issues with loud sessions. Your bass-heavy selections shouldn't be an issue if you’re crossing over to two subs. I use a single REL t5i crossed at 60hz so you can expect more from your setup.

Trell

Major Contributor

That could work out, I think. From the review the distortion starts to rise quickly at about 150 Hz at 96 dB SPL @ 1 m, and a doubling of listening distance gives a 6dB reduction in SPL (ignoring room gains). Even with subwoofer crossing over at 120 Hz you might find that listening at 90 dB makes the monitors struggle a little as the crossover slope is not a brick wall.

index.php

montyliam

Picked up a pair today, been listening for around an hour or so and I love them already. As it is they have quite a decent amount of room gain, but I'm thinking about augmenting them with some bass towers (Peerless XLS12's) to function as both subwoofers and stands, powered by Hypex FA502.

Attachments

• IMG_6756.JPEG
    IMG_6756.JPEG
    203 KB · Views: 161
  • genelec.JPG
    genelec.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 166

mkt

Done some more listening and I'm very very impressed with what I'm hearing, however this has only made me even more intrigued about the higher up Genelec speakers, especially the ones :(
Thin edge of the wedge, slippery slope, etc :)

Top Bottom