• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not sure what is used in this review, but the graph does say klippel analyser.
Oh, Klippel is the standard in measuring such things. What I said and I thought you were asking is whether I had paid for that option. I did not purchase it specifically so don't think it come with my configuration. Klippel has one software but 100 different options, many of which cost thousands of dollars. As much as I paid for this system, it only included a fraction of what they sell.

YSC

Major Contributor
Anyone have idea whether this is a dsp speaker? And if so anyone can hint about it’s delay?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't wrap my mind around what that would look like.

I think it refers to the radiation pattern of non-linear distortion for a given signal input. For instance, where the harmonic is pointing on a 3D or 2D polar plot

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Probably not noticeable, but I think this unit might have defect. I noticed one of my 8030C's had much earlier and steeper rolloff than the other. I figured it was probably just something weird with my room and ignored it. Will verify when I get the review unit back. I didn't pay attention to which one had the issue.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Genelec, I used to call you overpriced :(

Anyone notice the dispersion behavior vs frequency of this and Neumann, at woofer frequencies the reflections and sound power reduces with frequency, but at tweeter frequencies it suddenly stops changing vs frequency. So the in-room response changes slope halfway i.e. from sloping downwards to become flat. So when we want to use a straight line approximation there will be a dip.

Makes me wonder which region is actually better - the downwards sloping one or the straight (but still reducing amplitude vs angle)

Add: ELAC DBR-62 and 305P also

While Uni-fi, KEF, 8341A don't have this problem just to name a few I checked

KEF R3 as well. FWIW, Charles Sprinkle from Kali (previously Revel) thinks that even if there's no outright directivity mismatch, the discontinuity of going from downwards-sloping to flat is less natural-sounding than a continuous downward slope. I can appreciate the intuition here, but I think both types of speakers are still well-engineered and the preference will vary with room and content played back.

bigjacko

Ouch. Checked and the Klippel module which measures all the basic woofer parameters costs US $6,400! And no, I don't have it.
Haha fair enough, $6400 for just one module is too expensive. You recently added multitone measurement to speakers and I think it is really good. We can have some creativity at measuing and see what we can do. Is it possible to manually push the cone to a certain excursion and measure the BI at that place? Hopefully some genius people in ASR can come up with crazy ways to measure things.

YSC

Major Contributor
Now for the dsp speakers I really hoping anirm haha a Adam t5v on his schedule to measure, provided that the dsp speakers can be so good I am waiting to see how much worse than these Genelecs are, as they cost 1/4 in price in HK

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now for the dsp speakers I really hoping anirm haha a Adam t5v on his schedule to measure
I have the T8V in for review.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s horizontal polar looks pretty good:
View attachment 74247
It is odd how at 4000Hz the negative (left?) side has a bump that isn’t on the positive side.

And on that note, for my horizontal graphs I just use the positive side, and luckily we haven’t measured any non-symmetrical speakers yet (unless I‘m mistaken). So, maybe instead I should average both sides so that is better represents performance.
Here is a detailed Klippel NFS spinorama of the KH 120:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-take-two.11323/page-22#post-425238

YSC

Major Contributor
I have the T8V in for review.
Ok, can’t wait to see that, if that measures well I suppose the lower end brother will behave similarly just will less bass extension.

pierre

Forum Donor
Great review, thanks.

Score 6.3 and 6.4 with the EQ provided by amirm@.

There is a fair amount of differences with the Genelec 8030A (not C) measured by Princeton in the 1k-3kHz range. It could be due to measurements or to differences between revisions. Dashed is model C from ASR, continous line is model A from Princeton.

visualization (4).png

D

Deleted member 16502

i think the 8x40 design hasnt been updated since 2004(?) so it probably performs worse

If you mean the general enclosure design, yes. There has however been the 8340 in that line, available as of 2016 with Class-D and SAM.

Hephaestus

Many thanks for this review!

During the last year two of my buddies asked me speaker buying advice... I directed them towards Genelec 8330 GLM kit - both of them have been extremely pleased with the speakers and now we know why :)

Top Bottom