• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Reed

I’m using my 8030c with a Rel T5i in a Dirac corrected system. In my situation, the sub is truly “last mile”. It’s not bass shy and for the volume and typical music I listen to, I really don’t miss the sub if I turn it off. OTOH, bass heads and high db listeners will want the sub.

Trell

Major Contributor
I’m using my 8030c with a Rel T5i in a Dirac corrected system. In my situation, the sub is truly “last mile”. It’s not bass shy and for the volume and typical music I listen to, I really don’t miss the sub if I turn it off. OTOH, bass heads and high db listeners will want the sub.

Adding a Genelec subwoofer to my 8330A for desktop improved the bass for much of the music I listen to, but it can be subtle.

Using GLM it is easy and quick (less than 1 sec) to toggle bass management on/off.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is this cable good for my crappy DAC if I want to hook it up to the Genelecs? ?
PA233573.jpeg
Screenshot_20220126-075705.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
Lol
I wish
But I'm planning on something soon;)
ah right, if I have to say get a 8030C with 7040/7050 in a small room should be quite satisfied for most, of course there's always the choice to get even better ones but I would say go enjoying music is the key.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
ah right, if I have to say get a 8030C with 7040/7050 in a small room should be quite satisfied for most, of course there's always the choice to get even better ones but I would say go enjoying music is the key.
Yeah
Problem is its going to be a long time until I can afford the Ones, and I'm stuck with nothing until then, so I'm thinking about getting the 8030 until that happens

YSC

Major Contributor
Yeah
Problem is its going to be a long time until I can afford the Ones, and I'm stuck with nothing until then, so I'm thinking about getting the 8030 until that happens
that would work also, but now I am going to just stay with 8030C and 7040A, the ones plus GLM is convenient and point source, but for my fixed computer gaming+ music position the 8030C did so as well since I physically can't move around a lot anyway, using free EQ software and REW to fine tune it will be my next step after upgrading to a new computer for flight simulation gaming as well as music listening.

sharock

Yeah

I had my heart set on some Ones for my desktop. In the end I opted for 8030c, SVS SB1000 Pro and a miniDSP DDRC-24 with Dirac Live. Unlike purchasing the Ones, I can still afford to put food on my plate.:D

sharock

Any regrets on what you have? (Other than fantasies about what you don’t have…)
I fluctuate daily between: This sounds great, was great value and I should be happy with what I've got. And: OMG my REW measurements don't look perfectly like the Klippel predicted in-room response even after PEQ & DRC, must upgrade speakers! :facepalm:

Buying a pair of £5000 monitors isn't going to fix that and room treatment isn't practical in my home environment. At some point we need to stop chasing perfection and enjoy what we have. Until tomorrow...

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like that specific minijack to xlr cable has a short split, so you won't be able to place your speakers apart. These are usually meant for mixing desks/interfaces where left/right channel xlr are next to eachother.
You can either run that cable to the middle of both speakers and use a pair of standard XLR cables (male to female) to reach each side or you can run that cable to one speaker and use a single standard XLR cable to go to the other speaker. Personally, I would get the shortest headphone to dual XLR adapter and get a pair of longer normal XLR cables for max flexibility.

YSC

Major Contributor
I fluctuate daily between: This sounds great, was great value and I should be happy with what I've got. And: OMG my REW measurements don't look perfectly like the Klippel predicted in-room response even after PEQ & DRC, must upgrade speakers! :facepalm:

Buying a pair of £5000 monitors isn't going to fix that and room treatment isn't practical in my home environment. At some point we need to stop chasing perfection and enjoy what we have. Until tomorrow...
well, I teach you a secret recipe: go get a E-banking app, login that daily, and better still get the photo of the lord of your home beside, you will instantly get satisfied

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Well, the Genelecs are just about as much form follows function as you can get. An speaker based on the same philosophy will inevitably look like it's "inspired" by Genelec.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Well, the Genelecs are just about as much form follows function as you can get. An speaker based on the same philosophy will inevitably look like it's "inspired" by Genelec.
…if the loudspeakers has to be standmount speakers, that is . The technical more perfect is probably to have a really wide baffle ( like Grimm ) , more than 40 cm , pushing the need to do baffle step compensation below the rooms schroeder frequency , ie below 300 Hz .

Top Bottom