• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C - digital or analogue, active crossover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's an analogue active model. You need the 83x0 serie to get the DSP.

Actually I'm leaning to non-DSP model, which is why I wanted clarification.

Doing DSP in software (HQPlayer) and then feeding to a DAC in NOS mode, then to analogue active speakers.

So all DSP (including digital filtering of course) is done before the DAC and speakers, in software.

Just considering.

The DSP models are certainly attractive though - all in one.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well, this is indeed a good reason to do so, but there are some things that integrated DSP can do that you can't like implementing the crossover through DSP or calibrating the monitor in the factory's facilities.
Personally, I avoid DSP speakers because I'm on GNU/Linux, so I simply can't use them, and I have some worries concerning reliability (as a programmer, the less software there is, the better; the industry quality standards are extremely low).

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi all

Does the Genelec 8030C feature digital or analogue, active crossover?

I see some models webpage mention when it has a DSP crossover but this one's webpage does not mentioned DSP or analogue - only active crossover.

So it's analogue active crossover?

https://www.genelec.com/8030c#section-technical-specifications
Hi,

8030C is fully analogue, no digital signal processing inside it whatsoever. The same applies to all 80xx series models.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I'm leaning to non-DSP model, which is why I wanted clarification.

Doing DSP in software (HQPlayer) and then feeding to a DAC in NOS mode, then to analogue active speakers.
Why a DAC in NOS mode?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why a DAC in NOS mode?

So the DAC is just converting digital to analogue and nothing else.

As mentioned, I’ll do all DSP (including digital filtering) upstream in software.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
This sounds very much like audiofoolery, to be honest.

I linked objective measurements showing an increase of a few dB in SINAD...

I think 'audiofoolery' should be reserved for things where there is no measurable objective improvement... especially on this forum...

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I linked objective measurements showing an increase of a few dB in SINAD...

I think 'audiofoolery' should be reserved for things where there is no measurable objective improvement... especially on this forum...
Which are 100% inaudible. But well, the real thing is that you'll pay more to get such a DAC accepting very high sampling rate formats (which don't have a real purpose, too), when you could put more where it matters: the speakers. Also, you're consuming some significant amount of electricity to do on your general purpose computer what is done by ASIC inside the DAC, I don't really see the point.

Basically, you're worrying about something that has no consequence on reality. I'm pretty sure you'll feel better when you truly realize you don't need a $2000 DAC.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Basically, you're worrying about something that has no consequence on reality. I'm pretty sure you'll feel better when you truly realize you don't need a $2000 DAC.

Oh dear, one of those people.

@Thomas savage @amirm I'm happy for this thread to be closed. Genelec answered my original query.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom