• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8020c what next?

lewis

I have a pair of Genelec 8020c monitors, I bought them new 4 years ago for my desktop use . They work very well as nearfield monitors. Genelec 8020c is a very small and I was wondering what the best upgrade would be. I have a pair of new 8030c monitors on home loan from a dealer. As I expected they are very good and in some ways better with a fuller midrange. But they don't disappear like the 8020s and on the whole I prefer the smaller 8020s
So what should I try next?
Perhaps 8320s or 8320s

digititus

I have a pair of Genelec 8020c monitors, I bought them new 4 years ago for my desktop use . They work very well as nearfield monitors. Genelec 8020c is a very small and I was wondering what the best upgrade would be. I have a pair of new 8030c monitors on home loan from a dealer. As I expected they are very good and in some ways better with a fuller midrange. But they don't disappear like the 8020s and on the whole I prefer the smaller 8020s
So what should I try next?
Perhaps 8320s or 8320s
7050B sub ;) Keep the 8020's. They a great.

OP
lewis

lewis

Thanks for the speedy reply. I did think of adding a sub. Although the bass of the 8020s is limited it's very clean and fast and I like that.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you don't care too much for bass, as long as it's clean. The 8020 doesn't have much extension, so you could try a sub or two and see if you like that effect. Otherwise, if you are okay without that, the 8331 is the best point source, stable soundstage monitor I've seen. Coaxial drivers make a huge difference for me. Upgrading to a three way coaxial might be the best thing for your desk, or even a two way if you like them to "disappear" soundstage wise. If you're talking about not coloring the sound "disappearing" that's harder to do.

The Elac Navis you might like as it's a somewhat more affordable 3-way with a coincident mid/tweeter compared to genelec ones.

OP
lewis

lewis

Thanks for your reply.
I Would like more bass but can't stand any boom, you have a good idea with a sub.
i was thinking of trying the Genelec 8320 or 8330 and using the Sam room correction. I could then at sometime get a Sam sub. The 8331 would be nice to try but above my price range.
Genelecs are good but there may be a better and hopefully cheaper alternative. I'm open to suggestions.

Top Bottom