• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For those wondering how loud this will play, when compared to previously reviewed 8030C.
Here is the listening distance and SPL, from Genelec.
1603090738015.png

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have little idea how distortion in speakers will correlate to listener impressions. No sense for that to affect scoring unless it's majorly problematic, which it did not seem to be to a trained listener. It's also a 3-inch woofer, there's only so much you can expect.

More importantly, from reviewing speakers and getting reader questions and feedback, it's become clear to me that people who buy small speakers buy them because:
1) it is what their budget allows, as small speakers are usually cheaper
2) they actually want small speakers for their particular space/aesthetics/whatever

So the argument of "just buy bigger speakers" is usually DoA. For some people, the difference between a 3" a 5" speaker is significant.

I often find myself in those two groups. I want good sound, but I don't want a pair of giant monitors on my desk. I also need speakers for my digital piano, and for that, the smaller the better. It's already unreasonable enough that I have three speaker setups(five, if you count smart speakers) in a small apartment shared with a partner (and three pets:))

Anyway, small speakers can be great. I enjoy the various multithousand dollar living room setups I've reviewed but frankly I often feel like enjoy listening at my desk with tiny speakers more, sometimes even without a sub. This might even just be be sure my desk is in a quieter part of my apartment. We have to work with the space we've got.

Lastly, it's worth noting that these are small enough you might have them at less than 1m. I use my desk speakers at about 0.6m, where larger speakers might need more room to integrate or might just not fit from that close. I'd pretty much never hit the SPLs tested here other than some peaks.

Also, I can imagine its "higher" attractiveness for female users, isnt't this cute? :)

Monitor-Estudio-Genelec-8010A-WH-Pareja.png

YSC

Major Contributor
If you live near a Guitar Center you can demo the aforementioned speakers. The Genelecs outperform the budget lines of all the brands which you mentioned and in my opinion anything south of $4000 a pair aside from other Genelecs and maybe the KH 310 which I haven't heard.
I don’t live near one and while most sounded good enough personally I am more curious on how the measurements goes, it’s like knowing a Porsche is driving quicker than a Subaru is one thing, having test data of how well it accelerates and corner G force is interesting

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also, I can imagine its "higher" attractiveness for female users, isnt't this cute? :)

Please don't make casually sexist comments like this. It's not based in fact, it's not inclusive and it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Cortes

OMG! jaja I have the same in the 8020A version with XLR inputs. I don't remember, but it's easily 12-14 years old. Maybe this review explains why I never felt too impressed when I went passive with Proac, valves and such.

Anyway, I must say that bass is lacking and at low volumes not as good as I like. Always talking about nearfield usage. I rejected the idea of selling it because I thought it would be worth nothing :eek:. I use it now as my TV speakers connected to SML SU-8 with good results.

Anyway, nowadays anyone going for Genelec shuould get a SAM speaker with the GLM kit.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please don't make casually sexist comments like this. It's not based in fact, it's not inclusive and it doesn't add anything to the conversation.
Don't act so narrow, wasn't meant that way at all. It is "cute" to me and I suppose many males as well. Is it "sexist" that women tend to prefer different designs and solutions than men? :rolleyes:

thyristor

True but who is mixing on these? Maybe you tubers or something, no way albums are mixed on these. In any case, why not just have a switch to turn the compressor on and off?
I mean this is $700 for very small speakers, I think such a feature is more than warranted.

These are really meant to be used with 7040A-subwoofer.

Cortes

Great review, thanks again! A note about using only small Genelecs in a desktop setup -> larger ones work as well :cool: In my opinion 8x3x series works the best also size wise. 8x4x begins to be too big for my taste at least. Here's my setup with 7350 sub on the floor.

These rather new Genelc desktop stands are the best imo begins one can adjust the tilt and they are VERY robust.

View attachment 88527

I have almost the same setup as you, the 8331s in my case, with these stands
https://www.thomann.de/es/km_26772_table_monitor_stand.htm

which are robust as well.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Don't act so narrow, wasn't meant that way at all. It is "cute" to me and I suppose many males as well. Is it "sexist" that women tend to prefer different designs and solutions than men? :rolleyes:

If this would be sexist, we should never talk about WAF here.
Maybe Genelec should think about pink in there color palette? ;)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this would be sexist, we should never talk about WAF here.
Maybe Genelec should think about pink in there color palette? ;)
WAF is about women having better taste / being more reasonable than men.
Here it was like blue for boys / pink for girls kind of babble.

Top Bottom