• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 1237A vs 8361A

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you get the 8361A you know about a month later Genelec will have a surprise announcement of the new better 8361B. You probably should wait.

I actually did have that fear back when I was considering the 8361a vs 8351b :D. Same thing when I was looking at the Revel Salon2. I'm thinking there's something on the horizon there.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I actually did have that fear back when I was considering the 8361a vs 8351b :D. Same thing when I was looking at the Revel Salon2. I'm thinking there's something on the horizon there.
I always have that fear, especially with Genelec they're already at the D version of the 8020 if I'm not wrong.
People with 8351A are cutting veins as we speak.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I am in the same boat as well. I have my Genelec 8340 and 8330 in my surround set up run via my AVR RXV775. Last week, I just brought MiniDsp DDRC24 with Dirac live to correct the SVS 12" subs. All good until now. But I am still pondering, should I replace one SVS with a Genelec SAM sub just to get the perfect sub integration because I still do not know if I have achieved the sonic perfection overall with Dirac GLM combo. As the Dirac corrects the subs and GLM corrects Genelecs, both does not take the whole monitor and subwoofers into combo. So I am not sure if I am missing something or have I achieved end game sound reproduction in my living room. Currently the bass set up to 80HZ crossover is done in AVR.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Do the prices include VAT, if i buy it as a tourist will it cost me less?
That's outside of my experience.

But here's what I found online:
1. https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/161000/buying-goods-online-from-canada-to-eu-is-vat-free
"any applicable VAT for exports to the EU, will be assessed accordingly. For VAT rates and details, visit the European Commission website."

2. https://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/guides/eu_export-guide_ue.aspx?lang=eng
"Goods imported into the EU are subject to import value-added tax (VAT) at their point of entry into the EU."

We pay both provincial and government taxes here, but I think that's for residents of Canada.
Then you won't need to pay taxes if you're just visiting.
At the border, they won't charge you any duties/tariffs due to the "Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)" agreement.
But they will charge you VAT at the entry point into the EU.

But again, I don't have first hand experience and you should consult someone who knows.
You're seeing the information based on my google-fi.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 8351B and just calibrated them with GLM today. For me in a room larger than yours they have plenty of bass. If you are going to use them with a HT setup or play a lot of bass heavy music you would probably want a sub.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have the 8351B and just calibrated them with GLM today. For me in a room larger than yours they have plenty of bass. If you are going to use them with a HT setup or play a lot of bass heavy music you would probably want a sub.
Thanks.
Did you consider the S360 or 1237A?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also tried the Buchardt A700. It had more bass went lower more SPL but they weren't as accurate or for lack of a better subjective word smooth , coherent as the 8351b. I admit I really like these speakers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I also tried the Buchardt A700. It had more bass went lower more SPL but they weren't as accurate or for lack of a better subjective word smooth , coherent as the 8351b. I admit I really like these speakers.
Wow
Just what I wanted to hear
Why did you like them more than the 8C by the way?
Anorher short question, do the 8351B sound "small" compared to 8C and A700?
Thanks.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been a while since I had the 8c. I remember I could never get the bass to sound right maybe it had to do with using the wall for coupling. I was also a bit nervous about them being a new company. The 8351 definitely don't sound small but they don't go down like the A700. The A700 doesn't need a subwoofer those things would shake the floor in my opinion to much. I had to dial them back a lot to suit me. They weren't as coherent as the 8c or 8351b. Getting older I wanted smaller speakers easier to handle which is another reason I sent the A700 back. If I would have spent the time I could have set them up right but my wife didn't care for them either to "in her face " was her words. I don't regret my decision the Genelec are the best speakers I ever heard in my house. They have a beautiful soundstage I can sit anywhere on my couch and they sound the same.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's been a while since I had the 8c. I remember I could never get the bass to sound right maybe it had to do with using the wall for coupling. I was also a bit nervous about them being a new company. The 8351 definitely don't sound small but they don't go down like the A700. The A700 doesn't need a subwoofer those things would shake the floor in my opinion to much. I had to dial them back a lot to suit me. They weren't as coherent as the 8c or 8351b. Getting older I wanted smaller speakers easier to handle which is another reason I sent the A700 back. If I would have spent the time I could have set them up right but my wife didn't care for them either to "in her face " was her words. I don't regret my decision the Genelec are the best speakers I ever heard in my house. They have a beautiful soundstage I can sit anywhere on my couch and they sound the same.
Great info thanks.
I'm a Genelec convert myself since the first second I heard the 8050B :cool:
Sorry for the many questions but did you also consider the 8361 before settling on the 8351, did you get a chance to listen to them side by side?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I didn't. I got chance for a pair of 8351B in mystic black for a discount and I jumped on it. When this covid is subsided I might take a road trip and listen to a pair. There's a pro store about 3 hours away.

Sprint

Forum Donor

Thanks for this write up! I am also a huge Genelec fan and converted from big Yamaha floor standers to 8340. Here is my set up. Until now I have been listening via my Yamaha AVR RXV775 for movies and music. Yesterday, I tried some thing different with digital input to Genelec for 2 ch music. I used a Raspberry PI3 as a streamer for Qobuz and connected to a Topping D10s USB SPIDF convertor. From D10, I connected to Genelecs via SPIDF - AES Cable. Played some nice Jazz tracks (like On vacation). I did not switch on the subwoofer. I was absolutely stunned by the Sound quality via digital inputs. The bass was so good in these 8340's that keeps me wondering if I even have to use a subwoofer with them. Ofcourse it is better because of reducing Intermodulation distortion. But what I mean to highlight here is the sound quality of Genelec. I was on heaven yesterday listening to my favourite tracks.

I can only offer my 2 cents to those who have not tried direct digital input to Genelec - Just try them and see the difference for yourself. Going digital is not expensive. My RPI was 50 euros and Topping D10 another 100 Euros. This set up will beat any other streamer with digital out combo that sells for 5 or 10 times the price I invested.

I wish I had a similar digital option for movies as well. I could get with a PC based set up. But then the booting and user friendliness of an AVR is lost for my wife and kids who are operating Apple 4K TV for movies via AVR (means Analog inputs into Genelec).

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From experience I'll bet that all this thinking and decision-making problems will end up with you buying either something you don't really want (smaller, cheaper) or something you really want but can't really afford.
Either way you'll probably start off happy and then overthink too much which will make you regret the purchase for whatever reason your brain decide is the sensible one. :D

In a 3x3m room (if that's correct) you'll probably be sound quality limited by the lack of distance to boundaries before any speaker potential gained by even better and/or more powerful speakers becomes a significant factor.

nai

C4F3044C-0FE7-43D0-BC25-465A959516AF.jpeg
1944767D-12E6-473B-82CC-234ECD7FFB88.jpeg
BDF82BE0-9E5A-4D37-B68E-AE67FEFD9FD9.jpeg

Top Bottom