• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 1032C

kuf

what would be your preference?

the 8350
or the similarly priced 1032 ?

the listening distance will be 2 to 3 m in a room 5X7 m,
limited acoustic treatment could be done,
subs will be added, mainly to treat low bass behavior.
usually listening around 75-80 db

will the 1032 will have a clear advantage over 8350 for the 3rd octave?

seinundzeit92

Seems like the black sheep of the Genelec family lol, gets no love around here compared to other models
Costs the same as the 8350 but has a 10 inch woofer.
What are your thoughts about it?

Well, I replaced my 8030C + 7050C with a pair of 1032c and i'm very happy with them. They go very deep (I don't miss the subwoofer), I love their classic look and IMO they have a more pleasent sound, compared to the 8000 series.

1032c.jpg

HairyEars

I owe a bunch of Genelec loudspeakers, and prefer the sound of the wooden boxes over the aluminum enclosures. My 8341 are relegated to surround duties, while my 1032c spearhead as mains.

Sure, the charts of the “One” series are better-looking, but I don’t like the metallic signature and I detest the resonance emanating from the slits. The 1032c, on the other hand, sounds more natural and pleasant.

All in all, in my opinion, the 1032C is the best value in the Genelec product line. If one has the right room, with the proper treatment, that speaker makes for a delicious treat.

(Despite the higher cost, I would rather “upgrade” to the 1238DF, but I don’t have the space and the acoustic axis is “wrong” in my environment. Maybe one day.)

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I owe a bunch of Genelec loudspeakers, and prefer the sound of the wooden boxes over the aluminum enclosures. My 8341 are relegated to surround duties, while my 1032c spearhead as mains.

Sure, the charts of the “One” series are better-looking, but I don’t like the metallic signature and I detest the resonance emanating from the slits. The 1032c, on the other hand, sounds more natural and pleasant.

All in all, in my opinion, the 1032C is the best value in the Genelec product line, and if one has the right room, with the proper treatment, that speaker is delicious treat.

(Despite the higher cost, I would rather “upgrade” to the 1038DF, but I don’t have the space and the acoustic axis is “wrong” from my environment. Maybe one day.)
Have you compared them to 1237a and S360 also?

Reactions: kuf

HairyEars

Have you compared them to 1237a and S360 also?
Thank you for asking. I actually have.

1237A vs 1238DF
I auditioned the earlier version, the 1238CF (identical, with the only difference the amplifier being onboard). The 1238DF requires a subwoofer as it can’t go low. If a sub is available, then the 1238DF is marginally better than the 1237A, due to the wider wave guide. The pair of 8” woofers are punchier than the single 12” in the lower mid-range. That impression might have been biased, as I knew which speaker was playing. The SPL of both systems far exceeded my needs.

1237A vs 1032C
They sounded surprisingly similar, with the 37A having an edge in the midrange. Still, costing less than half makes the 1032c a great value.

S360 vs 1032C
The first time I was introduced to the S360, I was stunned by the sound and yearned to own a pair there and then. Interestingly, that new loudspeaker was developed on the foundations of the 1032C, with both products sharing the same 10” woofer (although in the case of the S360, it’s reinforced to accommodate higher SPL). They also share the same amplification unit, which has more advanced signal processing than the bigger and older mains Genelec sells. The big difference between the monitors is in the tweeters: doomed in the 1032C; horned in the S360, which was designed for long distance sound casting. The new tweeter is what drives the different looks. Instead of molding a fresh wave guide, Genelec opted to mill the DMF, which in turn required more depth and also offered the opportunity to round the edges and reduce diffractions. The process necessitated moving the bass ports from the traditional frontal position to the bottom, and consequently the isopad was incorporated, to give those openings some breathing space.

Later, I compared the two speakers side by side. The S360 is brighter to my ears and slightly less bassy. Still, it produces a wonderful sound; particularly for dance and pop music. In my opinion, the 1032C is more suitable for general enjoyment, whereas the S360 is a dedicated tool for long ranges, where accuracy and high SPL are a requirement. With its plethora of mounting hardware, it’s easier to hang a S360 at the back of the room for surround duties than deploy an 1237A, for example.

In summation, all those wooden Genelec boxes produce a sound that I truly cherish. Of course, they’re relatively bulky and typically demand some self-designed/constructed mounting arrangement.

After I finish setting up my new media room, I’ll upload some photos.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thank you for asking. I actually have.

1237A vs 1238DF
I auditioned the earlier version, the 1238CF (identical, with the only difference the amplifier being onboard). The 1238DF requires a subwoofer as it can’t go low. If a sub is available, then the 1238DF was marginally better than the 1237A, due to the wider wave guide. The pair of 8” woofers are punchier than the single 12” in the lower mid-range. That impression might have been biased, as I knew which speaker was playing. The SPL of both systems was far more than enough for my needs.

1237A vs 1032C
They sounded surprisingly similar, with the 37A having an edge in the midrange. Still, costing less than half makes the 1032c a great value.

S360 vs 1032C
The first time I was introduced to the S360, I was stunned by the sound and yearned to own a pair there and then. Interestingly, that new loudspeaker was developed on the foundations of the 1032C, with both products sharing the same 10” woofer (although in the case of the S360, it’s reinforced to accommodate higher SPL). They also share the same amplification unit, which has more advanced signal processing than the bigger and older mains Genelec sells. The big difference between the monitors is in the tweeters: doomed in the 1032C; horned in the S360, which was designed for long distance sound casting. The new tweeter is what drives the different looks. Instead of molding a fresh wave guide, Genelec opted to mill the DMF, which in turn required more depth and also offered the opportunity to round the edges and reduce diffractions. The process necessitated moving the bass ports from the traditional frontal position to the bottom, and consequently the isopad was incorporated to give those openings some breathing space.

Later, I compared the two speakers side by side. The S360 is brighter to my ears and slightly less bassy. Still, it produces a wonderful sound; particularly for dance and pop music. In my opinion, the 1032C is more suitable for general enjoyment, whereas the S360 is a dedicated tool for long ranges, where accuracy and high SPL are a requirement. With its plethora of mounting hardware, it’s easier to hang a S360 at the back of the room for surround duties than deploy an 1237A, for example.

In summation, all those wooden Genelec boxes produce a sound that I truly cherish. Of course, they’re relatively bulky and typically demand some self-designed/constructed mounting arrangement.

After I finish setting up my new media room, I’ll upload some photos.
Thanks for the amazing info
You're lucky to hear them all;)
( Probably you're the only one here)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"Sure the paint on the sports car moves faster and the blue color gets up to speed and goes around corners tighter, but I prefer the performance of the red car."

It's not that the charts look better, just like it's not about the paint and aesthetics... The speakers are more or less accurate, and that's all the charts are saying. Pretty has nothing to do with it.

Not sure if it's resonance or diffraction you are hearing, but the slits aren't a vibrating pipe like the slot ports on the 10xx series. If the speakers with more internal reflections, chuffing ports, and less accuracy are preferred, then subjectively you're right: you like them better. (Maybe Genelec has improved them over the years and there is no chuffing and the ports don't resonate and even I'd prefer them. Who knows.)

That being said, it seems like some blind listening may be needed... aluminum sounding more "metallic" is a sign of listening with your eyes more than your ears, and these cliches and the like ("paper cones sound more warm" etc.) are tired grasping in the dark more than accurate impressions.

I used to make similar assumptions and give my flawed impressions back in the day on Headfi... After listening to drastically different things I realized a lot of my descriptions were in my head and/or based on my assumptions about the brand, materials, etc.

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Genelec S360A uses a different driver from 1032C. The latter has the designation Genelec P26WP-01 and from its looks clearly is a Peerless/Vifa product. Due to Tymphany’s acquisition, these drivers are only available from batches of 500 units as OEM. The S360A uses PHL 3411, a very different driver. It does not share any similarities.

RobL

Genelec S360A uses a different driver from 1032C. The latter has the designation Genelec P26WP-01 and from its looks clearly is a Peerless/Vifa product. Due to Tymphany’s acquisition, these drivers are only available from batches of 500 units as OEM. The S360A uses PHL 3411, a very different driver. It does not share any similarities.
Interesting that the s360 woofer sell for ~CAN$300 but the 1032 woofer goes for about ~CAN$1000

changer

Interesting that the s360 woofer sell for ~CAN$300 but the 1032 woofer goes for about ~CAN$1000
Because it is rare. It should be way cheaper. The woofer of the smaller 1031, the P22WO03-08, is listed at 57 Euros per piece. Arguably, at a batch of 500 units this price is not a regular retail price. Now think about all the 1032C owners who cannot either order per 500 units and no free market. Price gets really high. PHL 3411 is not a cheap 10-inch PA speaker, and not the most expensive.

RobL

Are the drivers the same on all iterations of 1032?
When looking about, I did find THESE interesting 1032A’s for sale. Priced pretty high but maybe some collector value if legit?

RobL

“Not sure if it's resonance or diffraction you are hearing, but the slits aren't a vibrating pipe like the slot ports on the 10xx series. If the speakers with more internal reflections, chuffing ports, and less accuracy are preferred, then subjectively you're right: you like them better. “
The ones have a “vibrating pipe” too…

Attachments

• 7700B6CD-FDEA-4696-A606-0BC1E344AB27.png
    7700B6CD-FDEA-4696-A606-0BC1E344AB27.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 189

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones have a “vibrating pipe” too…

Yes, the Ones have a port, and that could be a separate issue. I'm comparing the "slits" the OP is talking about in front of the woofers on The Ones which aren't likely resonating audibly vs what I see as the older design, unflared slot ports on the 10xx series that I've heard chuffing from. If someone hears an audible resonance or diffraction from something designed to minimize those things (the ones) it would seem that the 10xx series should have even more audible issues.

HairyEars

Yes, the Ones have a port, and that could be a separate issue. I'm comparing the "slits" the OP is talking about in front of the woofers on The Ones which aren't likely resonating audibly vs what I see as the older design, unflared slot ports on the 10xx series that I've heard chuffing from. If someone hears an audible resonance or diffraction from something designed to minimize those things (the ones) it would seem that the 10xx series should have even more audible issues.
So me hearing a metallic tang and resonance from the slits can be validated only through a blind test, but you picking up on chuffing from the ports is an uncontested fact. I guess there are true golden ears among us…Or maybe you’re just little inconsistent?

RobL

I’ve never heard chuffing from my 1032’s and i do play them pretty loud on occasion. The combined area of the 2 slots is about 8.3inch^2 . That would be equivalent to a single 3.2 inch diameter round port…

Top Bottom