• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 1032C

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Seems like the black sheep of the Genelec family lol, gets no love around here compared to other models
Costs the same as the 8350 but has a 10 inch woofer.
What are your thoughts about it?
genelec-1032-cpm_1_REC0013936-000.jpg

Reactions: kuf

Moonhead

Warren Huart swares by his, if you look at his YouTube reviews, he also likes Kali IN5 but there might me some marketing involved there.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Seems like the black sheep of the Genelec family lol, gets no love around here compared to other models
Costs the same as the 8350 but has a 10 inch woofer.
What are your thoughts about it?

Definitely my favourite looking Genelec (classic look) but the off axis performance can't match the 3-way coaxial 8351's (especially vertical of course).

Especially important near field

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Definitely my favourite looking Genelec (classic look) but the off axis performance can't match the 3-way coaxial 8351's (especially vertical of course).

Especially important near field
It should be compared to the 8000 series being a 2-way non coaxial design

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Due to its woofer size its the only still produced remainder of their older 2-way monitors series with non curved enclosures and symmetric waveguide so imho cannot be compared to the newer offerings. Its a compromised solution for high SPL at a limited cost, although for that I find it too expensive and if I would go for such a compromise I propably would take its clone which costs only a fraction (currently 288€ pair price!)
https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_b2031a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm
Yes, the Behringer is not exactly on par with the original Genelec, but it costs only 1/10th and measures quite decently.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
although for that I find it too expensive and if I would go for such a compromise I propably would take its clone which costs only a fraction (currently 288€ pair price!)
https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_b2031a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm
Yes, the Behringer is not exactly on par with the original Genelec, but it costs only 1/10th and measures quite decently.

B2031A has 8 3/4" woofer vs the 10" (and dsp) that the genelec has, but yeah the price difference remains.

Olius

Noted but you wrote "Costs the same as the 8350 but has a 10 inch woofer."

If price is same as 8351, then that is better, no?

The 8350 and 8351 are two different speakers. The 1032 and the 8350 cost about the same amount, while the 8351 is twice as expesive.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
B2031A has 8 3/4" woofer vs the 10" (and dsp) that the genelec has, but yeah the price difference remains.
Yes, the Behringer is size-wise more an equivalent to the in 2005 discontinued 8" Genelec 1031A.

hege

Forum Donor
Marginal improvements as always, but comparing 1032C to some Behringer or JBL soap boxes is a bit dumb. It's a nice speaker and I didn't find any other speaker that fills my bass extension and SPL requirements as standalone in that price class (I agree that I wouldn't pay above the 3200-3500€/used price per pair).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Tough crowd!. Asking for nothing less than perfection :). The directivity graph is not like to the 8351 or other category-leading speakers, IOW not spectacular but is quite good. For some people in quest of accuracy and SPL this model would be the ticket.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I wouldn't say they get no love on here... @TimVG is quite a fan of his old 1032As, for example (the measurements shown above are actually his). I am guessing that at this size the cabinet is large enough for diffraction issues not to play a major role. Clearly the good folks at Genelec must have thought that this design was worth keeping in production to fill a specific niche.

alont

Forum Donor
I would say they're a better choice compared to the 8350 assuming you are planning to soffit-mount them. Otherwise the 8350 is the better pick unless you really need the extra headroom (e.g for far-field monitoring on a budget).

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't say they get no love on here... @TimVG is quite a fan of his old 1032As, for example (the measurements shown above are actually his). I am guessing that at this size the cabinet is large enough for diffraction issues not to play a major role. Clearly the good folks at Genelec must have thought that this design was worth keeping in production to fill a specific niche.

I've little to add to this. This speaker just sounds tonally 'right' to me. I highly recommend them in a midfield setting.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

dfuller

Major Contributor
Of the Genelecs I've used I genuinely preferred the 1031s (the 8" version of the 1032) to any of the 80x0 series. Couldn't tell you why, I never measured them.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good sound when I tried the smaller version, off axis is expectedly not as good as the Elac Navis I was comparing it to at the time. Gave it back to the owner who let me borrower it, and returned the Navis, both had some port chuffing... Not sure if the port size to driver size is better on this one, but if not the lower extension may make it worse.

The person I borrowed it from has moved on to a surround setup with 8340 monitors and a sub. (Stewdio, can't remember the guys name right now.)

Top Bottom