• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gene measured Marantz SR8015

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Video posted 19hrs ago:

Gene's conclusion (from the video):
"This is probably the best measuring receiver that I've done...since the super receivers. This is a well measured receiver. There's very little to complain about, from everything that i've tested on this receiver. Benchmark performance. Stable...I didn't have any problems with this driving 4 ohm speakers. I'm happy with the results."

By the way, this is the flagship Marantz 11.2ch 8K AVR with MSRP of US$3,200.

Now we need Amir to confirm the results. ;)

Urgo

Forum Donor
Would be great.
At least someone can send one of the new 2020 Marantz.
It is important to see if they have truly improved and compare them to the already measured Denons. Let's see if Amirm hopefully receives one soon ...
The question of the Marantz SR8015 with components similar to the Denon x6700h, and also assembled in Japan, will always be in the air ...

SynthesisCinema

Well it already did better than the SR8012 and Marantz sended this to Amir:

1598040140834-png.1354004

Urgo

Forum Donor
We'll see. The experience with the x6700h has made me a distrustful person.

SynthesisCinema

Yep. Keep in mind you do get slightly beefier amp side with Marantz.

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:
  • HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

3dbinCanada

Looks like Marantz solved the lower SINAD issues by disconnecting their power amp sections. It will be interesting to find out if other AVR manufacturers catch on.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These Marantz receivers look very outdated.

Please try something new Marantz, we’ve seen this design for many many years.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Marantz solved the lower SINAD issues by disconnecting their power amp sections. It will be interesting to find out if other AVR manufacturers catch on.

That's not the reason. If it was, the AV7705 and 8805 AVPs would have higher SINAD than the Denon AVRs but they didn't.

In the videos, they seemed to think the higher SINAD was due to the different versions of HDAMs used.

That, to me, would make sense as I always suspect that extra buffer stage would add noise and/or distortions. Even the new version would add THD+N, but with better design and circuitry they probably managed to reduce any added distortions/noise to the minimum, while keeping the intended benefits of the HDAMs. Let's see if they have to increase the prices of the 2020 models. If not, that would be really good news to Marantz fans.

3dbinCanada

That's not the reason. If it was, the AV7705 and 8805 AVPs would have higher SINAD than the Denon AVRs but they didn't.

In the videos, they seemed to think the higher SINAD was due to the different versions of HDAMs used.

That, to me, would make sense as I always suspect that extra buffer stage would add noise and/or distortions. Even the new version would add THD+N, but with better design and circuitry they probably managed to reduce any added distortions/noise to the minimum, while keeping the intended benefits of the HDAMs. Let's see if they have to increase the prices of the 2020 models. If not, that would be really good news to Marantz fans.

Gene said in the video that the 2volt input at the preamp stage caused the output stage to clip even if they werent being used on the 8012 which was responsable for the 80db SINAD result. Am I missing something? Question is asked in earnest and not to be construed as sarcastic.

Aside from that, its an impressive receiver in its own right and I love the style. That AVR could draw me away from Yamaha. Im very curious about their new line up as well.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gene said in the video that the 2volt input at the preamp stage caused the output stage to clip even if they werent being used on the 8012 which was responsable for the 80db SINAD result. Am I missing something? Question is asked in earnest and not to be construed as sarcastic.

I was talking about the SR8015. The SR8012's low SINAD appeared to be due to a) no pre-amp mode and b) HDAM was a different version.

The SR8015 has pre-amp mode, but in the video, Gene said with the different HDAM, even without using pre-amp mode, SINAD was still much improved over the SR8012, in fact, pre-amp mode only improved slightly. It's a long video, so it isn't hard to miss a point or two.:)

3dbinCanada

I was talking about the SR8015. The SR8012's low SINAD appeared to be due to a) no pre-amp mode and b) HDAM was a different version.

The SR8015 has pre-amp mode, but in the video, Gene said with the different HDAM, even without using pre-amp mode, SINAD was still much improved over the SR8012, in fact, pre-amp mode only improved slightly. It's a long video, so it isn't hard to miss a point or two.:)

I remember that now. Thanks Peng. I guess I was just so enamoured with shutting down the amplifier stage that I stopped listening after that part.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember that now. Thanks Peng. I guess I was just so enamoured with shutting down the amplifier stage that I stopped listening after that part.

Gene used to be the only one or two I knew of, that would give manufacturers feedback on issues he found on AVRs and AVPs and tried to get them improved on the negatives found.

Now we have Amir doing the same, and his approach seems more openly blunt and forceful. I think we are beginning to see D+M reacting. The SR8015, and hopefully the lower models too, may just be the first crop of the upcoming products that might have incorporated some design improvements to make a) the preamp less affected by the power amp section's degradation at higher outputs, and b) the HDAM does its buffering duty without much increase in distortions and noise. All these just based on a couple of videos, we won't know for sure until they send Amir a sample (such as a SR7015 or 6015) for test.

Urgo

Forum Donor
A few weeks ago he told me that they were likely to send him a small 2020 model, but nothing from the SR8015, at least that I know of.
Hopefully someone will send one soon, we are very impatient.

hyfynut

These Marantz receivers look very outdated.

Please try something new Marantz, we’ve seen this design for many many years.
Marantz holds on to their visual design for a long time on purpose. Keeps them looking classic.

Masza

I wonder if AV7706 has these issues addressed and fixed as well.

MalinYamato

I just bought the receiver and will arrive this Friday.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if AV7706 has these issues addressed and fixed as well.

If I understood right, I believe Matthew J Poes alluded that it's not, so I would expect similar results to the SR7015 (also the AV7705) already tested. I thought he started measuring it for Gene, wonder why the review has not been published (or on Youtube) yet.

duelistgamer

What's the difference (other than aesthetics) between the X6700 and the SR8015? Is the Marantz HDAM just marketing or are they giving something special that's not found in the X6700?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Keep in mind you do get slightly beefier amp side with Marantz.

Marantz SR8012 Advantages over the Denon AVR-X6500H:
  • HDAM SA2 current feedback topology between preamp and power amp
  • 22,000uF, 81V capacitors x 2 vs 15,000uF, 73V capacitors (X-6500H)
  • Torodial 835VA transformer vs 750VA E-Core (X-6500H)
  • Separated symmetric construction vs single in-line (X6500H)
  • Copper plated chassis
  • More rigid top cover
  • Teflon tape on oscillator circuit for better damping

I have never seen Marantz published the transformer VA specifications. Is the 835 VA based on the power consumption specs (we don't know the basis on consumption specs either) by Marantz, or was it from Gene?

It is probably close but I would bet lower, may be closer to 700 VA, based on its size. A 835 VA toroidal would likely weight about 15-16 lbs. Denon's AVR-X8500H clearly has a larger PS and its E-I core transformer only weighs a touch over 18 lbs and the AVR is about 14 lbs heavier than the Marantz. E-I core transformers of same VA rating typically weighs more.

Top Bottom