• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GaN Systems Amplifier Eval Board Measurements

mocenigo

Major Contributor
You are right to be going for neutrality (just as I am). BUT NONE of the CLASS D's have COME CLOSE to the Benchmark Media units. The CLASS D's that I have heard (unfortunately none are of the units that AMIRM has tested, as I have never even seen one of those class D's) have obvious (to me) non-linearities. Also I may be wrong, but I think that my NAD 220's hold on to neutrality pretty well (see Amirm's review on this site).

At those levels of linearity you are not going to hear any difference between a Benchmark AHB2 and a good Purifi 1ET400A implementation. There are bad Class D amps, and you cannot judge all Class D amps by the bad ones, just as you cannot judge all AB amps after having heard a NAIM NAP 140 (a nice little thing, which once I liked, but frankly with crappy sound that can be appealing if you do not know better).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which ones would they be? I've had a lot of amps run through here for comparisons, and the good Class D (Purifi, Orchard, nCore...) and good Class A/AB didn't sound any different.
That's the problem, I haven't heard any that are known names here in the USA. & those that I have heard sound just like bad implementations of something. I don't fill my brain with the names of things I don't feel are right. I do know that it is not any of the names that I see here or I would recognize the name. Just like there is a ton of any other type of amp that I think does not sound up to par A/B or whatever, I am sure that if I heard one that sounded good, I would know the name because I would look into it. I did not say that they are all bad. I just said that the very few that I had heard were not what I would consider good. I have spent from 2001-2018 mostly living in places where less than 30% of the people had a cell phone, much less a decent sound system. When my old Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 computer sound system is better than 99.99% of what I am going to hear in any given month... then you know the audio scene in the places I have been living is non-existent. When my ADVENT 300, and a COBY cd player with a pair of ancient Radio Shack Minimus 7's is the best sound system thing they've ever heard...You know the class D stuff that is there is in fact worse. I would love to hear some good class D. In the Charleston, SC area, when I was here in the 70's, 80's, 90's there was a vibrant Audio community (& a few Audo & Audio/Video clubs. I the USA for islands on the Indian Ocean & then in the Western Pacific & I came back to this area and it seems to be an Audio dessert. It seems that I would have to travel to Charlotte, Atlanta or somewhere in Florida to hear other than what I have. I've been back over 3 & 1/2 years & I have met 2 people who have very good sounding systems. Most people that I run into have something that is not even up to the standard of a Bose tabletop stereo.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're not the only NAD power amp fan here. Have always had them and loved them. Great bang for the buck back in the day. How hot do those run powering the subs @ 2 ohm?
Not any hotter than normal for the others powering the main speakers. The main speaker ones are on the floor, the sub one is on a solid shelf about 6 inches above the main ones (so the heat from the main ones go outside & around the sub one). They are all on their original feet.
The sub amp has a but better airflow around it.
Given the power capability of the system, I probably never have the system using more than 1/3 of it's power capability.

Top Bottom