• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GAN Power Adapter + USB Type-C to DC 5.5 x 2.5mm cable/converter !!! For TPA3250/3255 Amplifiers ???

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,
I have recently bought this power adapter which can deliver max 140 Watts (26V 6A) on USB C PD. These adapters are small in size and come with many safety certifications.
I am now looking to find out if it would be safe to use a USB Type-C PD to DC adapter to power up small amplifiers like Aiyima, Fosi etc.
As far as I could find, almost every USB Type-C PD to DC adapter available on Amazon support 18 - 20V 5A (65 to 100 Watts max).
Would it be safe to use it like this for such amps?
Looking at Data sheet, it seems that TPA3255 is going to use somewhat between 50 - 70 Watts using 26V 6A PSU.
Has anyone used this type of adapters with converters/adaptor to power such amplifiers?

1681269227475.png

Attachments

• 1681268699096.png
    1681268699096.png
    425.3 KB · Views: 51
I've used this adapter:

Successfully with my Aiyima A07 amplifier. I'm powering it from an Anker power bank which gives 20v output and it works well.

The page for this specifies "19~20V output power: 90W". I don't know if it would output the full 26v from your adapter or not, but I can say it works fine at 20v (though obviously with a bit less power).

Hope this helps!

JonP

GaN switching power supplies (the GaN is the type of semiconductor the switching transistors are made from) have lots of promise for smaller, and even more efficient power supplies. Would be good to see them as dedicated power bricks in higher voltages. That will come eventially This, should work OK.

Only issue using it, will be that low voltage. That'll limit peak output voltage, limiting the amp sooner with higher impedance loads. A 4ohm speaker will do better, (needs less voltage to make same power) and it has the current for that not to be the limiting factor. Possible other factors might be bad regulation, and poorly filtered noise, if the switcher wasn't designed well.

Make sure you're getting the power polarity right, with whatever adapter you use!

Top Bottom