• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gaming-Dac/Amp best soundscape and imaging? NOOBY HERE

jibjab

HI guys,
I have just stumbled into this crazy world of audio. I'm an avid gamer, reached apex predator on console and looking to go to PC! Also big battlefield lover!! I used skull candies till now. Scrambling across some forums I feel like alice in wonderland, lost but excited to this unknown ever expanding world.

From reading, I recently bought DT 880's 600 Ohms because of the high treble range it offers which reconstructs to footsteps in game.

My question to you fellas out there what is a great combo to pair with these? With a $500 max budget, what would bring out soundscape and imaging even further? Please don't hold back!

I have read about the Asgard 3/ Modius. The Asgard 3 can drive them, are there better options in the price range? Isn't Modius a balanced dac? Are there better Single Ended dacs for gaming? What characteristics should one look for in a dac for gaming?

Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, from an absolute audio nooby.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would have tried and talk you into getting a headphone with a lower impedance (Ohm), but O Well.
A Schiit Magnius, with a Modi DAC, is what I think is good bang for the buck.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do most of your games already have built in downmixing from surround to binaural for headphones?

If so, then a standard "audiophile" DAC will work fine.

If not you'll probably need to look into something like the Creative card which have that ability.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do most of your games already have built in downmixing from surround to binaural for headphones?

If so, then a standard "audiophile" DAC will work fine.

If not you'll probably need to look into something like the Creative card which have that ability.

Most AAA games in 2020 have the option to select a full range speaker, a regular speaker and headphones.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most AAA games in 2020 have the option to select a full range speaker, a regular speaker and headphones.

That's good. I mostly play indie and retro games that are just plain stereo.

If @jibjab wants to go with Schiit then a Modi 3+ and a Magni Heresy would be the obvious combo.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly about the original mix/mastering and your headphones/earbuds and/or speakers/room rather than the electronics....

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
With a $500 max budget, what would bring out soundscape and imaging even further?

The headphones themselves combined with EQ'ing will contribute 99.9% of what you are looking for.

The amp just needs to have enough power to drive the headphones. Don't know how much 600 Ohm DT880's requires to not be anemic.

There are other users in here that are much better at doing the math than me.

What characteristics should one look for in a dac for gaming?

None. The DAC only has one job; To translate the digtial information into an analog signal without adding anything audible. Most DACs these days does that job remarkably well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom