• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes quite impolite, and whoever does it without their consent, can be sued.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been thinking why the GAN sound different vs the SDS, most people think they want "accurate" high fidelity sound, I'm not so sure about that, you know we human always overestimate our ears sensitivity, more does not mean is good for you sometimes, so I'm guessing despite the old SDS might not as accurate as some of the top best measuring amps (e.g. Ncore Hypex), but it guarantee at least smoother and forgiving sound when matching gear.
I have an SDS-258, DIY, which I originally built over a decade ago. Fairly early on I upgraded the CDA linear power to mush higher capacitance Connexelectronic supply; I can't say I noticed noticed any difference in sound or performance. I recently "upgraded" it with a SMPS, (also from Connexelectonic); (see my thread ... here).

Of course I can't do a direct comparison, (blind ABX or otherwise), between the SDS with the linear supply and the SMPS. However my impression of the linear-supply was transparent and dynamic but a trifle "rough" with highs that were shrill in case of some recordings. My impression of the SMPS SDS sounds "cleaner" by a little bit. In fact the upgraded SDS sounds very much like my VTV Purify Stereo that used the VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps.

No, I doubt that I could distinguish the SDS from the Purifi in a blind test regardless of the likelihood that latter measures much better.

Trell

Major Contributor
Pretty rude, and whoever does it without their consent, can be sued.

As always, it depends in that you can always sue in USA, but try that tactic in EU you’ll be saddled with all the other side’s expenses if you loose. It’s also capped.

whislai

I have an SDS-258, DIY, which I originally built over a decade ago. Fairly early on I upgraded the CDA linear power to mush higher capacitance Connexelectronic supply; I can't say I noticed noticed any difference in sound or performance. I recently "upgraded" it with a SMPS, (also from Connexelectonic); (see my thread ... here).

Of course I can't do a direct comparison, (blind ABX or otherwise), between the SDS with the linear supply and the SMPS. However my impression of the linear-supply was transparent and dynamic but a trifle "rough" with highs that were shrill in case of some recordings. My impression of the SMPS SDS sounds "cleaner" by a little bit. In fact the upgraded SDS sounds very much like my VTV Purify Stereo that used the VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps.

No, I doubt that I could distinguish the SDS from the Purifi in a blind test regardless of the likelihood that latter measures much better.
Here's my SDS-470C with upgraded power supply by ClassDAudio, is it same as yours?

Attachments

• PXL_20211009_140901496.jpg
    PXL_20211009_140901496.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 142

whislai

Further listening impressions, the GAN sounded boosted on certain frequency especially bass, is very obvious, eventually introducing a degree fatigue to my ears, not sure that might sound different if to listen with a different speakers or larger space treated room, switching back to SDS, as if I'm back to "tube" sound lol, with smoother imaging of details.

Last edited:

douede

sychan

Forum Donor
Interestingly one subjective review says the amp is bright while the other says the bass is boosted. Both claim it is fatiguing.

wric01

Pointless convincing the hearing impaired of audioscience (Their measurement equipment do the hearing for them. ). If you are young and still have good hearing then you have golden ears according to these old timers here. Thus splurge on gan amps, r2r daxs, tunes etc. They don't disappoint which is why they cost more. You got tons of hearing life to enjoy it thus justifies spending more.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Pointless convincing the hearing impaired of audioscience (Their measurement equipment do the hearing for them. )

Troll much?

Geert

Major Contributor
18 months of membership to get to this point. Quite lot of commitment there...:facepalm:
"Sleeper terrorist: noun. A terrorist who is not currently active but assumes a guise in order to be in position, unsuspected, for future terrorist activities".

Lot's of accounts like this.

catluck

Getting a load of opinions won't do anything to get rid of subjectivity. All it will do is bring the subjectivity of a load of random strangers into play.

This is not what ASR is about. This whole thread is the exact opposite.

Measurements, and Blind listening tests at your showroom - or you might as well go to a different forum. You are only achieiving turning people off the product here.
Perhaps subjective evaluation, absent confirming measurements, will "turn people off." But, as noted in a recent Stereophile essay
Not the best measurements I agree )
We got no measurements for the Saba A20aj but many people bought it and came into the conclusion that is an incredible amplifier specially for its tonal properties....

Any US people here living in CA ? Should be nice to test the Mini Gan 5 and share your opinion )
After reading the criticisms on this forum, the Class D Audio marketing (some might call it propaganda - typical of marketing) and engaging in a back and forth with Tom Rost at Class D, I ordered a pair of monoblocks. With a 15 day trial period, what's to lose? Somewhat taken aback at the hard core objectivists but I do understand and appreciate the value of "good" measurements. It's just that subjectivity plays a role, perhaps the final role, in choosing musical components. Of course, most of us, given a choice between two seemingly identical sounding products would choose the better measuring product. No mystery there. But that truth doesn't diminish the salience of subjective appreciation. In any event, I'll be receiving the mono's today and I'll report back on my experience albeit without measurements. I've been using Psvane 845 monos (50 watts class A @ 8 ohms) and Bel Canto eRef 600's (class D, 300 watts @ 8 ohms, 600 watts @ 4 ohms). I'm all tubes upstairs (Manley Neo-classic 300B's, Granite Audio SR (KT-88's) and Hartung OTL (6C33's w/50Watts @ Class A). So I think I have an idea of different but "good" sounding amps. Been in this passionate hobby for nearly 50 years. Yeah, I'm an old guy... If you read this month's issue of Stereophile you'll see an essay on the back page re: measurements vs subjective appreciation (and, my letter on the Letters to the Editor page re: Bakel's troubling position, as I understood it, and supporting objective measurement). FWIW, as indicated, I'll report back on what I hear from the Class D Audio miniGan 5's.

beren777

Perhaps subjective evaluation, absent confirming measurements, will "turn people off." But, as noted in a recent Stereophile essay

After reading the criticisms on this forum, the Class D Audio marketing (some might call it propaganda - typical of marketing) and engaging in a back and forth with Tom Rost at Class D, I ordered a pair of monoblocks. With a 15 day trial period, what's to lose? Somewhat taken aback at the hard core objectivists but I do understand and appreciate the value of "good" measurements. It's just that subjectivity plays a role, perhaps the final role, in choosing musical components. Of course, most of us, given a choice between two seemingly identical sounding products would choose the better measuring product.

You aren't choosing a musical component. You are choosing an audio reproduction component. The musical components were chosen by the original artists, studio, mix engineer, and you when you selected which track to play. Everything downstream of that is reproduction, not an instrument.

The issue is subjective bias. What sounds good to you may differ on any given Sunday. The product may produce coloration that you love for 15 days, and then you want your money back. Audio reproduction equipment should reproduce the original signal with as little distortion and coloration as possible. I consider this the true meaning of high fidelity: equipment (which includes the room) that reproduces audio as true to the signal as reasonably possible.

If the user wants coloration, that's fine, but why not do so via DSP instead of trying to mix or match components which distort in different, hopefully complementary ways?

Top Bottom