• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there even a standard definition for what "harsh" is or how it is measured? Was it 1.22 catlucks more harsh than the other amp?
Officially, it's when it harshes your buzz, dude.

catluck

Hi amigos,

Got my Mini Gan amp. As usual, it is with pleasure that I share my enthusiasm and some first impressions ) Before starting, I recall what theoretically could bring GaN VS traditional silicon transistors (to take up what was mentioned by Orchard Audio) :

Less harshness
Cleaner highs
Better transparency
Higher detail

This is because GaN transistors have much better characteristics over their silicon counterparts:

Increased slew rate
Reduced ringing
Faster switching
Faster overload recovery

Amplifier performance is improved by the use of GaN technology:

Decreased noise
Less distortion
Better transient response
Higher bandwidth

So all this is in the form but in fact what does it looks like? To avoid price / performance ratio debates, I just want to remind you that Gan Amps are not widely used and it is clear that we are paying a high price at the start (And prices will go up with the shortage of electronic components). But to put it in perspective, the closest competitor to the Mini Gan 5 is probably the Peachtree G400, which shares very similar specs @ $3000. and count about 1000 euros for a Mini Gan 5 exported to Europe.

Another point to note: Premium audio is part of ClassDaudio, the Mini Gan is made in the USA (CA).
I ve been told that the team spent about 3 years in R&D for this amp. Keep in mind that this is a discrete amp with about 600 parts on it !

I received the last version, with a green PCB, against red PCB on the first revisions. There were only minor evolutions on the PCB and on they only update the inductors. For the rest, everything is the same. Premium Audio announces a 600W SMPS Bipolar LLC PSU it remains to be confirmed... =) PSU MOSFET : FDPF18N50T = 18 A 500 V with no heatsink, so probably less...

The amp is really well cut and very compact, comes in a gray aluminum case, with a powder paint. It's sober, it seems solid.

On the other hand, I deplore the minimalist packaging, poorly protected and no IEC power cable included. What a pity in terms of the customer window...
Not sure about the needs of heatsink see the pictures below and you will understand )

One thing that's really cool is the ability to adjust the gain - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB It can be easily associated with any type of DAC / preamp )

Here the spec and global measures :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.004%
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz : 0.005%
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz : 0.008%
SNR: 108dB Unweighted 110dB A-weighted

Gallium Nitride Class D Amplifier
Fully balanced, dual Mono configuration
discrete amp with about 600 parts on it
Buffer : OPA LM4562
RMS Power Per Channel 8 Ohms 200 WRMS Continuous (400W Peak)
RMS Power Per Channel 4 Ohms 300 WRMS Continuous (500W Peak)
Power Supply 600W Bipolar LLC Resonant Converter
Input Sensitivity 2 VRMS
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB
Input Impedance RCA 100K
Input Impedance XLR 100K
Voltage Gain Adjustable - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB
Power Requirements 190VAC or 264VAC
Dimensions (W x D x H) Inches 9.75" X 7.5" X 2"
Dimensions (W x D x H) Millimeters 248 X 178 X 51
Product Weight (lbs/kg) 5/2.3
Made in the USA

My Setup :

Gustard A18 AK4499 Dac > Fully balanced mode
Source : Audio HD files
Player : LG V30 via LDAC BT
Mini Gan amplifier @ Medium Gain > balanced inputs
Handemade Floor speakers @ 93DB / 2.5 way with Ribbon tweeters
SC-Orbit 240 MKII cables

Regarding listening, I took some reference titles with which I am used to juggling, in particular with my Hypex Ncore, Sabaj Dual Merus and my Purifi.
I listen to a lot of things, I love Jazz and I love electro pop, rock and latin music. I have been a musician for years and beyond acoustic measures, I appreciate "the tonal and musical" properties of an amp, which the Sabaj A20 has done very well!

Fausto Mesolella > Van Gogh
it is a title which is really close to my heart, with a sublime orchestration and this "typical Italian voice" which has always made me vibrate. By the way; I used this title when I exhibited DrMordor's TPA3255 in the showroom of "la maison du hauteur", a well-known store in France.

Yellowjackets and WDR Big Band > Downtown
Complex title, it often puts the amps to the test. I like to listen to it at a sustained volume, it is a rhythmic piece full of life.

Drums&Percussion Hi Res > That's because I'm a drummer and I'm very sensitive to the transcription of percussions, cymbals and rides etc, anything that sings at the top of the spectrum) My ears are rather expert therefore even despite my 43 years =))))

On these few titles of references, here is what I can tell you hastily, knowing that I received the amplifier recently and that it turned around ten hours.
What I feel, I wouldn't go into the subjectivity debate !

Very first point: the amp is absolutely dead silent, just like the Sabaj A20 or my Purifi and Hypex.

Treble and highs notes :

It is very balanced and on all the titles. It naturally sounds good. Compared to the Sabaj A20, where I had to adjust the treble slightly, here the re-transcription of rides, cymbals and high notes is simply natural and very clean.

On the track "Downtown", the highest notes stand out well from the rest of the mix. I would say that compared to the Sabaj A20, it stands out more on the front of the stage. Both amps are excellent here; I prefer them to my Hypex Ncore.

Medium :

It's very good, Fausto Mesolella's voice is transcribed very naturally, it stands out well in the mix. All the same observation here: we are more on the front of the stage compared to the Sabaj A20. So I would tend to think that the Soundstage of the Mini Gan is more centered (so to speak) or we could just as well say that the opening of the soundstage is less wide. In any case the Mediums are very good and it does not blush in the face of the Purifi for example.

Bass :

This is where we feel the potential of this Mini Gan, it's very "punchy" and full of reserve. I think the advertised 200W / 8R is there ... but to be measured. I pushed it yesterday at high volume, without destroying my timpans; it's clean, very clean, the bass is present with a super nice balance. I think my speakers go really well with this Mini Gan here and in all sincerity I love what I hear! I would confirm this feeling after listening to electro pop). In any case, I am a step above my Hypex Ncore modules and the same observation for the Sabaj A20

Soundstage :

Regarding this point, I think the Sabaj A20 is really a little bomb; especially with regard to its price)
The Mini Gan is great too, but keep in mind that it "swings" more on the front of the stage. And I think the LM4562 op amps has a lot to do with it. It might be a little more natural with respect to a close listening for example

To conclude :

The Mini Gan: it is a very transparent amp and full of reserve (really powerful). In my opinion it can drive a good number of speakers. It's an amp that sounds straight with no harshness and a very wide bandwidth.
I was particularly amazed by its potential for listening at sustained volume, where it is excellent at the lower end of the spectrum with clean and well present bass.

As for its price, I'll let you judge ... )

Videos :

https://streamable.com/mt8ymp

https://streamable.com/kyus8z

Pictures :

Hi amigos,

Got my Mini Gan amp. As usual, it is with pleasure that I share my enthusiasm and some first impressions ) Before starting, I recall what theoretically could bring GaN VS traditional silicon transistors (to take up what was mentioned by Orchard Audio) :

Less harshness
Cleaner highs
Better transparency
Higher detail

This is because GaN transistors have much better characteristics over their silicon counterparts:

Increased slew rate
Reduced ringing
Faster switching
Faster overload recovery

Amplifier performance is improved by the use of GaN technology:

Decreased noise
Less distortion
Better transient response
Higher bandwidth

So all this is in the form but in fact what does it looks like? To avoid price / performance ratio debates, I just want to remind you that Gan Amps are not widely used and it is clear that we are paying a high price at the start (And prices will go up with the shortage of electronic components). But to put it in perspective, the closest competitor to the Mini Gan 5 is probably the Peachtree G400, which shares very similar specs @ $3000. and count about 1000 euros for a Mini Gan 5 exported to Europe.

Another point to note: Premium audio is part of ClassDaudio, the Mini Gan is made in the USA (CA).
I ve been told that the team spent about 3 years in R&D for this amp. Keep in mind that this is a discrete amp with about 600 parts on it !

I received the last version, with a green PCB, against red PCB on the first revisions. There were only minor evolutions on the PCB and on they only update the inductors. For the rest, everything is the same. Premium Audio announces a 600W SMPS Bipolar LLC PSU it remains to be confirmed... =) PSU MOSFET : FDPF18N50T = 18 A 500 V with no heatsink, so probably less...

The amp is really well cut and very compact, comes in a gray aluminum case, with a powder paint. It's sober, it seems solid.

On the other hand, I deplore the minimalist packaging, poorly protected and no IEC power cable included. What a pity in terms of the customer window...
Not sure about the needs of heatsink see the pictures below and you will understand )

One thing that's really cool is the ability to adjust the gain - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB It can be easily associated with any type of DAC / preamp )

Here the spec and global measures :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.004%
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz : 0.005%
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz : 0.008%
SNR: 108dB Unweighted 110dB A-weighted

Gallium Nitride Class D Amplifier
Fully balanced, dual Mono configuration
discrete amp with about 600 parts on it
Buffer : OPA LM4562
RMS Power Per Channel 8 Ohms 200 WRMS Continuous (400W Peak)
RMS Power Per Channel 4 Ohms 300 WRMS Continuous (500W Peak)
Power Supply 600W Bipolar LLC Resonant Converter
Input Sensitivity 2 VRMS
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB
Input Impedance RCA 100K
Input Impedance XLR 100K
Voltage Gain Adjustable - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB
Power Requirements 190VAC or 264VAC
Dimensions (W x D x H) Inches 9.75" X 7.5" X 2"
Dimensions (W x D x H) Millimeters 248 X 178 X 51
Product Weight (lbs/kg) 5/2.3
Made in the USA

My Setup :

Gustard A18 AK4499 Dac > Fully balanced mode
Source : Audio HD files
Player : LG V30 via LDAC BT
Mini Gan amplifier @ Medium Gain > balanced inputs
Handemade Floor speakers @ 93DB / 2.5 way with Ribbon tweeters
SC-Orbit 240 MKII cables

Regarding listening, I took some reference titles with which I am used to juggling, in particular with my Hypex Ncore, Sabaj Dual Merus and my Purifi.
I listen to a lot of things, I love Jazz and I love electro pop, rock and latin music. I have been a musician for years and beyond acoustic measures, I appreciate "the tonal and musical" properties of an amp, which the Sabaj A20 has done very well!

Fausto Mesolella > Van Gogh
it is a title which is really close to my heart, with a sublime orchestration and this "typical Italian voice" which has always made me vibrate. By the way; I used this title when I exhibited DrMordor's TPA3255 in the showroom of "la maison du hauteur", a well-known store in France.

Yellowjackets and WDR Big Band > Downtown
Complex title, it often puts the amps to the test. I like to listen to it at a sustained volume, it is a rhythmic piece full of life.

Drums&Percussion Hi Res > That's because I'm a drummer and I'm very sensitive to the transcription of percussions, cymbals and rides etc, anything that sings at the top of the spectrum) My ears are rather expert therefore even despite my 43 years =))))

On these few titles of references, here is what I can tell you hastily, knowing that I received the amplifier recently and that it turned around ten hours.
What I feel, I wouldn't go into the subjectivity debate !

Very first point: the amp is absolutely dead silent, just like the Sabaj A20 or my Purifi and Hypex.

Treble and highs notes :

It is very balanced and on all the titles. It naturally sounds good. Compared to the Sabaj A20, where I had to adjust the treble slightly, here the re-transcription of rides, cymbals and high notes is simply natural and very clean.

On the track "Downtown", the highest notes stand out well from the rest of the mix. I would say that compared to the Sabaj A20, it stands out more on the front of the stage. Both amps are excellent here; I prefer them to my Hypex Ncore.

Medium :

It's very good, Fausto Mesolella's voice is transcribed very naturally, it stands out well in the mix. All the same observation here: we are more on the front of the stage compared to the Sabaj A20. So I would tend to think that the Soundstage of the Mini Gan is more centered (so to speak) or we could just as well say that the opening of the soundstage is less wide. In any case the Mediums are very good and it does not blush in the face of the Purifi for example.

Bass :

This is where we feel the potential of this Mini Gan, it's very "punchy" and full of reserve. I think the advertised 200W / 8R is there ... but to be measured. I pushed it yesterday at high volume, without destroying my timpans; it's clean, very clean, the bass is present with a super nice balance. I think my speakers go really well with this Mini Gan here and in all sincerity I love what I hear! I would confirm this feeling after listening to electro pop). In any case, I am a step above my Hypex Ncore modules and the same observation for the Sabaj A20

Soundstage :

Regarding this point, I think the Sabaj A20 is really a little bomb; especially with regard to its price)
The Mini Gan is great too, but keep in mind that it "swings" more on the front of the stage. And I think the LM4562 op amps has a lot to do with it. It might be a little more natural with respect to a close listening for example

To conclude :

The Mini Gan: it is a very transparent amp and full of reserve (really powerful). In my opinion it can drive a good number of speakers. It's an amp that sounds straight with no harshness and a very wide bandwidth.
I was particularly amazed by its potential for listening at sustained volume, where it is excellent at the lower end of the spectrum with clean and well present bass.

As for its price, I'll let you judge ... )

Videos :

https://streamable.com/mt8ymp

https://streamable.com/kyus8z

Pictures :

I thought I might weigh in on the Premium Audio mini Gan 5. After reading Daniboun's comments, and fully aware of Amir's really troubling measurements, I contacted Tom Rost at Class D Audio to discuss. Tom suggested that the unit Amir measured was "broken." Although I found Tom's other answers to my questions less than compelling, Class D Audio allows a 15-day trial period. So, for the total shipping cost of $32 I could try this "new" technology and decide for myself. I ordered a pair of mini Gan 5's ($1,400) to use as monoblocks. Tom indicates that as monoblocks they output 300 watts @ 8ohms and 400 watts @ 4ohms. To be truthful, I was expecting, yes the dreaded BIAS!!, the units to be less, far less in fact, than what they were advertised to be, i.e., class A quality (?), audiophile quality, SOTA, and so on. After several email inquiries/responses with Tom, I wanted to be generous but Amir’s measurements on ASR really troubled me. Nonetheless, I ordered a pair and several days ago I received a large box containing two small boxes each housing a diminutive, solidly built albeit sober 5 lb. amp. No audiophile jewelry here and, frankly, I’m grateful for that. Upon hook-up and initial turn on, only a barely, and I mean just barely, discernable hiss with my ear almost touching the tweeter cover of Spatial Audio Sapphire M3's. The internal blue led's indicated the amps were operating - SO FAR SO GOOD. I waited several hours and then couldn't help myself. Put on Ben Webster "Stormy Weather" and, and,................................., I was astonished. Ben's sax was utterly corporeal, burnished, with the most life-like tone color and dynamics I've heard. As Daniboun noted, the bass is also exemplary. I won’t claim that the M3's may as well be different speakers with these amps, but.... I hadn’t heard them sounding this musical before. Every aspect of sound reproduction is enhanced. The bass is substantially more alive - propulsive, dense tone, with excellent texture and pitch definition. String tone is sweet and superbly textured. Instrument placing across the soundstage is precise and well differentiated. Listening to the Baz Trio, an exceptional recording of a great piano trio, and, again, just sat transfixed. Piano tone is dense, rich, pure with superb dynamic scaling. Same with Charlap _ "Notes from New York." Bass is really noticeably more present. Listened to Lovano, Monk, Miles, Charlap, Evans, Pepper, Baker, etc. Brass, particularly on well recorded fare, is remarkably portrayed. Snare has greater snap and definition. The sound is utterly refined and by that I guess I mean no discernable noise, hash, grit, grain, glare, edge - nothing one would ordinarily associate with class D. This ain’t your father’s class D. All listenings were revelatory compared to previous listenings. The clarity, transparency, and resolution are among the best I’ve heard from any circuit topology. In fact, last night I got up around midnight just to come downstairs and listen. Haven't done that in probably 25 years. I've run the M3's with (a sampling but not all kit): tubes (Psvane 845, VTL 6550's), class D mosfet (Bel Canto eRef 600's), and class A sand amps (Pass, Sim Audio, Levinson) - all as monoblocks. Even so, these 5 lb. toys are not just competitive but, IMO, superior to all I’ve owned. And it's not like you have to ponder, stroke your beard and look to heaven for signs. Upon the first hearing it seemed rather obvious. Like Daniboun, I don't care to, and won't, get into the subjective/objective debate. Yes, ceteris paribus, I would prefer kit with superior objective measurements. But, as noted in the opinion piece (As We See It) in the Jan., 2019 issue of Stereophile (Vol.42, No.1), too many unanswered questions about measurements and their relationship/impact on audio quality and listening preferences. In truth, I just don't give a shit anymore. As I noted elsewhere in this forum, I want to be ravished by music and if it sounds good, I don't care if it's generated by mice spinning a wheel. These amps have transformed my system. I don’t mean to gush but when the listening experience is elevated in this fashion, I can't help myself. I’m just reporting what I’m hearing and maybe for the benefit of others. I understand the objectivists will howl and curse my name as they dance around a bonfire under the full moon. Don’t care. Think I'm full of shit? Maybe I am - but all you need to do is try gallium nitride GanFets.. As noted I went with Tom at Class D Audio and confirmed a trial period of 15 days as advertised on the website. If you try this product and don't agree with me, in the worst case you're out $32 for shipping. But, be prepared to keep the units because you may find your listening experience transformed. BTW, I'm not affiliated or associated in any way with Premium Audio or Class D Audio.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I thought I might weigh in on the Premium Audio mini Gan 5. After reading Daniboun's comments, and fully aware of Amir's really troubling measurements, I contacted Tom Rost at Class D Audio to discuss. Tom suggested that the unit Amir measured was "broken." Although I found Tom's other answers to my questions less than compelling, Class D Audio allows a 15-day trial period. So, for the total shipping cost of $32 I could try this "new" technology and decide for myself. I ordered a pair of mini Gan 5's ($1,400) to use as monoblocks. Tom indicates that as monoblocks they output 300 watts @ 8ohms and 400 watts @ 4ohms. To be truthful, I was expecting, yes the dreaded BIAS!!, the units to be less, far less in fact, than what they were advertised to be, i.e., class A quality (?), audiophile quality, SOTA, and so on. After several email inquiries/responses with Tom, I wanted to be generous but Amir’s measurements on ASR really troubled me. Nonetheless, I ordered a pair and several days ago I received a large box containing two small boxes each housing a diminutive, solidly built albeit sober 5 lb. amp. No audiophile jewelry here and, frankly, I’m grateful for that. Upon hook-up and initial turn on, only a barely, and I mean just barely, discernable hiss with my ear almost touching the tweeter cover of Spatial Audio Sapphire M3's. The internal blue led's indicated the amps were operating - SO FAR SO GOOD. I waited several hours and then couldn't help myself. Put on Ben Webster "Stormy Weather" and, and,................................., I was astonished. Ben's sax was utterly corporeal, burnished, with the most life-like tone color and dynamics I've heard. As Daniboun noted, the bass is also exemplary. I won’t claim that the M3's may as well be different speakers with these amps, but.... I hadn’t heard them sounding this musical before. Every aspect of sound reproduction is enhanced. The bass is substantially more alive - propulsive, dense tone, with excellent texture and pitch definition. String tone is sweet and superbly textured. Instrument placing across the soundstage is precise and well differentiated. Listening to the Baz Trio, an exceptional recording of a great piano trio, and, again, just sat transfixed. Piano tone is dense, rich, pure with superb dynamic scaling. Same with Charlap _ "Notes from New York." Bass is really noticeably more present. Listened to Lovano, Monk, Miles, Charlap, Evans, Pepper, Baker, etc. Brass, particularly on well recorded fare, is remarkably portrayed. Snare has greater snap and definition. The sound is utterly refined and by that I guess I mean no discernable noise, hash, grit, grain, glare, edge - nothing one would ordinarily associate with class D. This ain’t your father’s class D. All listenings were revelatory compared to previous listenings. The clarity, transparency, and resolution are among the best I’ve heard from any circuit topology. In fact, last night I got up around midnight just to come downstairs and listen. Haven't done that in probably 25 years. I've run the M3's with (a sampling but not all kit): tubes (Psvane 845, VTL 6550's), class D mosfet (Bel Canto eRef 600's), and class A sand amps (Pass, Sim Audio, Levinson) - all as monoblocks. Even so, these 5 lb. toys are not just competitive but, IMO, superior to all I’ve owned. And it's not like you have to ponder, stroke your beard and look to heaven for signs. Upon the first hearing it seemed rather obvious. Like Daniboun, I don't care to, and won't, get into the subjective/objective debate. Yes, ceteris paribus, I would prefer kit with superior objective measurements. But, as noted in the opinion piece (As We See It) in the Jan., 2019 issue of Stereophile (Vol.42, No.1), too many unanswered questions about measurements and their relationship/impact on audio quality and listening preferences. In truth, I just don't give a shit anymore. As I noted elsewhere in this forum, I want to be ravished by music and if it sounds good, I don't care if it's generated by mice spinning a wheel. These amps have transformed my system. I don’t mean to gush but when the listening experience is elevated in this fashion, I can't help myself. I’m just reporting what I’m hearing and maybe for the benefit of others. I understand the objectivists will howl and curse my name as they dance around a bonfire under the full moon. Don’t care. Think I'm full of shit? Maybe I am - but all you need to do is try gallium nitride GanFets.. As noted I went with Tom at Class D Audio and confirmed a trial period of 15 days as advertised on the website. If you try this product and don't agree with me, in the worst case you're out $32 for shipping. But, be prepared to keep the units because you may find your listening experience transformed. BTW, I'm not affiliated or associated in any way with Premium Audio or Class D Audio.
I wouldn’t say “full of shit,” but rather sold on an idea rather than reality, an idea common in a small niche of audio, but based on really poor evaluation methods.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It's not just that they measured poorly, it's that they have load dependent frequency response, which is a problem most competent class d designers solved 20 years ago. Maybe your speakers have a flat impedance or maybe you just can't resolve it, but to me, it's like buying a brand new car advertised as state of the art and finding out it drum brakes all the way around and no abs.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I am pretty certain that you are in the wrong Forum. This wall of subjective revelation text is not useful here and reads like an advertisement for the manufacturer. Hope you got a discount. Bye bye now.

tubess1988

I have a set of Gan monos and I agree, I like mine so much that my old Tube and big SS amps have all been retired. Enjoy! Cheers.

sonicnoob

ahi all, not to be diggin up an old post,

but I'm a noob and was looking at this amp. So what is the general concensus here.
1. the measurements by Amir are horrible (could be a defective unit?)
2. those of us who have actually used this amp are saying it's a good amp

So the above 2 statements don't really colloborate each other.
Has anyone in this site has actually used this amp and walked away with negative "music experience" like Amir's measurements?
Ultimately, I'm looking for reviews of actual users of this amp to see if it's a good amp worth the $800 USD price?

My problem is I after reading a few "audiophile" forums such as these, there seems to be 2 camps of people
1) one camp is the objectivists who grade equipment based on numbers. If the numbers don't look good, they say equipment is not ideal.
2) the other camp is the subjectivist who judge equipment by listening by ears.
Furthermore, almost ALL the "sonic" adjectives used by audiophiles are themselves vague terms, like: transparent, forwarding, airy, etc..
All these make a noob like me very confused.

(To illustrate my confusion from reading audiophile forum, I will tell my story of speaker hunting. So after much reading "online reviews" about bookshelf speakers, I was debating on getting either the B&W 706 S2 Anniversary speakers or the KEF R3. All online reviews from "true" audiophiles rave about these 2 speakers. Finally I went to Best to actually listened to them, and to my great surprised, I instantly didn't like neither of them. The 706S2 sounded way too high treble, screeching my ears. On the other extreme, the KEF R3 had an almost too-muted sound in both the highs and lows (and I supposed this is what people called "mellow") such that more power must be fed into the KEF to make it sound at the same loudness (to my ears). I was thinking, "uhg what? these are the great speakers audiophiles have been raving about??". No thanks. Then I saw a pair of Martin Login 35xti and asked the sales rep to demo them for me, and wow, my ears instantly gravited towards the Martin no question about it. So by now, I had asked the sales guy to do switch the music between 3 speakers continuesly, and with each switching cycle, I was more reaffirmed that the Martin Logan 35xti were for my, absolutely. Reason is my ears liked the trebles and mids of the Martin. And here's the kicker, the Martins were the cheapest of the 3 brands, by far. So, by now my mind was almost made up to buy the Martins. But I needed more time to do my "online research" on the Martins, and lol and behold, some of the reviews from audiophiles were actually bads, saying the Martins have too bright of a sound, not enough bass, blah blah. I went back to Best Buy again and once again asked the sales guy to demo the 3 speakers, and once again my were gravitated toward the Martin 35xti. Bought the Martin and could be happier.
Since then, I have now run the Martin 35xti's in "parallel" with a pair of smaller Klipsch reference satellite speakers (with 3/4" titanium tweeter and 3.5" woofer), in effect I'm grouping a Martin and a Klipsh satellite togther as one "4-way" speaker unit, but with each pair of them powered by a separate amp,.. and I have to say, my music is now upped a notch! The Klipsch being smallers speakers hit all the mid-highs strongly that music just sound even more full. And the highs of the Martins (with their AMT tweeter) match very nice with the highs of the Klipsch titanium dome. Now, the audio purists will blast me for mixing speakers like this, but nah I don't care, the music produced by this mixture is great to my ears. The enjoyable part is I also get to independently adjust the volume of each pair of speakers, and this alone can change the overall musical characteristics of the soundwaves that hit my ears.)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ahi all, not to be diggin up an old post,

but I'm a noob and was looking at this amp. So what is the general concensus here.
1. the measurements by Amir are horrible (could be a defective unit?)
2. those of us who have actually used this amp are saying it's a good amp

So the above 2 statements don't really colloborate each other.
Has anyone in this site has actually used this amp and walked away with negative "music experience" like Amir's measurements?
Ultimately, I'm looking for reviews of actual users of this amp to see if it's a good amp worth the $800 USD price?

My problem is I after reading a few "audiophile" forums such as these, there seems to be 2 camps of people
1) one camp is the objectivists who grade equipment based on numbers. If the numbers don't look good, they say equipment is not ideal.
2) the other camp is the subjectivist who judge equipment by listening by ears.
Furthermore, almost ALL the "sonic" adjectives used by audiophiles are themselves vague terms, like: transparent, forwarding, airy, etc..
All these make a noob like me very confused.

(To illustrate my confusion from reading audiophile forum, I will tell my story of speaker hunting. So after much reading "online reviews" about bookshelf speakers, I was debating on getting either the B&W 706 S2 Anniversary speakers or the KEF R3. All online reviews from "true" audiophiles rave about these 2 speakers. Finally I went to Best to actually listened to them, and to my great surprised, I instantly liked neither of them. The 706S2 sounded way too high treble, screeching my ears. On the other extreme, the KEF R3 had an almost too-muted sound in both the highs and lows (and I supposed this is what people called "mellow") such that more power must be fed into the KEF to make it sound at the same loudness (to my ears). I was thinking, "uhg what? these are the great speakers audiophiles have been raving about??". No thanks. Then I saw a pair of Martin Login 35xti and asked the sales rep to demo them for me, and wow, my ears instantly gravited towards the Martin no question about it. So by now, I had asked the sales guy to do switch the music between 3 speakers continuesly, and with each switching cycle, I was more reaffirmed that the Martin Logan 35xti were for my, absolutely. Reason is my ears liked the trebles and mids of the Martin. And here's the kicker, the Martins were the cheapest of the 3 brands, by far. So, by now my mind was almost made up to buy the Martins. But I needed more time to do my "online research" on the Martins, and lol and behold, some of the reviews from audiophiles were actually bads, saying the Martins have too bright of a sound, not enough bass, blah blah. I went back to Best Buy again and once again asked the sales guy to demo the 3 speakers, and once again my were gravitated toward the Martin 35xti. Bought the Martin and could be happier.
Since then, I have now run the Martin 35xti's in "parallel" with a pair of smaller Klipsch reference satellite speakers (with 3/4" titanium tweeter and 3.5" woofer), in effect I'm grouping a Martin and a Klipsh satellite togther as one "4-way" speaker unit, but with each pair of them powered by a separate amp,.. and I have to say, my music is not upped a notch! The Klipsch being smallers speakers hit all the mid-highs strongly that music just sound even more full. And the highs of the Martins (with their AMT tweeter) match very nice with the highs of the Klipsch titanium dome. Now, the audio purists will blast me for mixing speakers like this, but nah I don't care, the music produced by this mixture is great to my ears. The enjoyable part is I also get to independently adjust the volume of each pair of speakers, and this alone can change the overall musical characteristics of the soundwaves that hit my ears.)
Back up. The measurements aren't horrible. Who said that?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Back up. The measurements aren't horrible. Who said that?
Well, with the caveat that SINAD is not the be all and end all, it ranks in the chart worse than about 2/3 of all the other amps tested.

Other measurements than SINAD don't seem to reverse this trend.

Having said that, most of the weaknesses are probably still below the level of audibility for most people which would explain why it is possible to listen to, or to own this amp and think it is fine.

So to @sonicnoob Yes, the amp doesn't measure very well compared to very many others. But it still performs at a level where you probably can't hear problems with it.

So if you already own the amp and like it, stop worrying about the measurements, and continue to use and enjoy it. If you don't own it and are considering it - just know that there are much better amps available, at a similar or lower price. You should not choose this one unless it offers something significant other than sound quality, that you need, and can't get elsewhere.

sonicnoob

Well, with the caveat that SINAD is not the be all and end all, it ranks in the chart worse than about 2/3 of all the other amps tested.

Other measurements than SINAD don't seem to reverse this trend.

Having said that, most of the weaknesses are probably still below the level of audibility for most people which would explain why it is possible to listen to, or to own this amp and think it is fine.

So to @sonicnoob Yes, the amp doesn't measure very well compared to very many others. But it still performs at a level where you probably can't hear problems with it.

So if you already own the amp and like it, stop worrying about the measurements, and continue to use and enjoy it. If you don't own it and are considering it - just know that there are much better amps available, at a similar or lower price. You should not choose this one unless it offers something significant other than sound quality, that you need, and can't get elsewhere.

no I have not purchased it, was just shopping and reading and came across it, which led me to this forum!
So is there any amps you'd recommend over this one for around same price. I'm also open to buying a good used amp too, been looking at various NAD models on the used market.

**On a sidenote, reading "audiophile" online debates has got to be one of the most subjective science out there lol. What is heard as "music" is actually a construct of your mind, with the ears as one of (but not the only) composites of this musical experience. I do feel that sometimes some peeps put too much emphasis on objective numbers, becaus that's not how a mind work, hell your mind can actually "visualize, fill in the gap" of missing detail.
So get this, I have a young niece in her 20s, who is a soprano singer for an opera company, and this girl definitely has "above average" musical talent. She also plays piano and violin pretty damn good. The girl can tune a piano by ears. I've been to a few of her in a recital practices with the full choir or quartet and honestly I'm amazed at how a director can just pick out an "offending" instrumental note from a player among all those instruments playing. To me, an orchestra or even a quartet projects music and space like no speakers can ever do. So when i hear online reviewers say so-and-so speaker gives a sense depth, detail, spatial, I'm like what?? that has got to be all in your mind processing and constructing all that sense of "spatialness" because it is NOTHING like listening to a live orchestra. I asked my niece to listen to some of my speaker, and even took her to Best Buys to listen, and to my great SURPRISE, my niece generally did NOT give any critical feedback about speakers like the audiophiles on the internet. Her reaction is more a long the line, "oh I like that sound, it sounds good". lol but nothing critical, perhaps she is not used to using the jargons (eg: airy, forward) of "audiophile reviewers". But man, when she hits those high notes in her recital, I'm reminded resigned to the fact that no matter how expensive audio equipment one could buy, even in the hundreds of thousands, they will never be able to replace live music experience. Whew!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
according to the thread in which Amir posted his measurements, and guys in here were blasting this amp.
I only saw that it doesn't do as well as some other class Ds with more conventional transistors. You still can't hear the distortion. You will however, pay more. But if you want to support the compound semiconductor industry, go for it!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
no I have not purchased it, was just shopping and reading and came across it, which led me to this forum!
So is there any amps you'd recommend over this one for around same price. I'm also open to buying a good used amp too, been looking at various NAD models on the used market.

**On a sidenote, reading "audiophile" online debates has got to be one of the most subjective science out there lol. What is heard as "music" is actually a contruct of your mind, with the ears as one of (but not the only) composite of this vessel. Get this, I have a young niece in her 20s, who is a soprano singer for an opera company, and this girl definitely has "above average" musical talent. She also plays piano and violin pretty damn good. The girl can tune a piano by ears. I've been to a few of her in a recital practices with the full choir or quartet and honestly I'm amazed at how a director can just pick out an "offending" instrumental note from a player among all those instruments playing. To me, an orchestra or even a quartet projects music and space like no speakers can ever do. So when i hear online reviewers say so-and-so speaker gives a sense depth, detail, spatial, I'm like what?? that has got to be all in your mind processing and constructing all that sense of "spatialness" because it is NOTHING like listening to a live orchestra. I asked my niece to listen to some of my speaker, and even took her to Best Buys to listen, and to my great SURPRISE, my niece generally did NOT give any critical feedback about speakers like the audiophiles on the internet. Her reaction is more a long the line, "oh I like that sound, it sounds good". lol but nothing critical, perhaps she is not used to using the jargons (eg: airy, forward) of "audiophile reviewers". But man, when she hits those high notes in her recital, I'm reminded resigned to the fact that no matter how expensive audio equipment one could buy, even in the hundreds of thousands, they will never be able to replace live music experience. Whew!
I'd suggest looking at Hypex NCxxxMP based amplifiers. Or if you are willing to spend a bit more for the best of the best, the amps based on Purify modules, or the newer Hypex ones.

Alternatively if you don't mind buying importing from China and putting up with the support risk**, then topping PA9 is worth a look. There are rumours also of an upcoming PA7

** this is not for me though.

After that - just start by looking at any of the amps in the green/blue sections of the Sinad chart, short list from there, and then look at the more detailed measurements of the ones on your shortlist.

sonicnoob

I only saw that it doesn't do as well as some other class Ds with more conventional transistors. You still can't hear the distortion. You will however, pay more. But if you want to support the compound semiconductor industry, go for it!
thanks for the input. Nah, not looking to supporting any industry in particular, just want best bang for the bux.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the input. Nah, not looking to supporting any industry in particular, just want best bang for the bux.
See the various NCORE, Purifi, Hypex, Benchmark etc amps reviewed here. Lots of good choices these days.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All solid-state amps sound the same.
Past a certain SINAD, more or less true. There are some that feature high distortion.

sonicnoob

I'd suggest looking at Hypex NCxxxMP based amplifiers. Or if you are willing to spend a bit more for the best of the best, the amps based on Purify modules, or the newer Hypex ones.

Alternatively if you don't mind buying importing from China and putting up with the support risk**, then topping PA9 is worth a look. There are rumours also of an upcoming PA7

** this is not for me though.

After that - just start by looking at any of the amps in the green/blue sections of the Sinad chart, short list from there, and then look at the more detailed measurements of the ones on your shortlist.

yeah defintely I need to do more search on amps, thought I could just buy any class D and be done, but not so (if I want best bang for the bux).
Oh god, am I going to have to ask the question: "will this amp match well with my speakers?" :D

Although I'm not a picky listener, oh no I' far from "old with dead tympanic membrane", I do demand good "soprano vocal" from my sound system (within budget of course). The human soprano voice at its highest pitch seems to be very hard to be consistently replicated by various sound systems. Each sound system setup seem to add in their own colors (cannot be avoided, it seems). Well, having access to a niece whom I can listen at live recitals often, I guess my "standard, my reference" of "accurate sound reproduction" is her voice that I know best.

sonicnoob

Past a certain SINAD, more or less true. There are some that feature high distortion.
but doesn't "distortion" is a combination, and interplay, of both amp and speakers? (and I supposed the volume at which you're listening too)?
Or are we talking about a totally different kind of distortion not related to speakers?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but doesn't "distortion" is a combination, and interplay, of both amp and speakers? (and I supposed the volume at which you're listening too)?
Or are we talking about a totally different kind of distortion not related to speakers?
Each part of the system distorts, yes. Generally speakers are the lion's share.

Top Bottom