• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

whislai

Since I no longer really trust the data shared by the manufacturer, on paper I read this:

I guess @ 8 ohms :
SDS-500 : THD+N, 1W - 1KHz: 0.02%
Mini Gan : THD+N, 1W - 1KHz 0.006%
Aha one hell of difference, and yes I did hear difference sound from these 2. To add more story of my usual habit, if I want to analyze track noise etc, I would plug in my Sennheiser HD600, I do not want those dirty details (but pindrop sound is fine to me aha) output from the speakers lol.

tonycollinet

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
asking questions about how he explains the measurements is still questioning ....

In short, let's wait for a possible new test with a new amp)
You might be waiting a while. Amirm has stated he won't just retest anything else sent out unless the manufacture engages with him - and first does their own tests.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fingers X untill the Manufacturer reacts then )

JayGilb

There's a difference between "explaining measures" and "answering questions from a baying mob". (As I guess he may well currently see us)
I agree. He's obviously busy and one wrong or misinterpreted answer given to the baying mob could haunt the company forever.
A new unit and additional testing will confirm the amplifier's capabilities.

mhardy6647

Master Contributor
Uncontrolled sighted listening doesn’t tell you much, as many posts on this forum will explain…
I'd have to agree -- even as much as I am in the camp of "different amplifiers can sound different, even with similar levels of traditionally-measured performance".

In other words -- yeah, maybe it sounds "better", or more to the point "is perceived as better-sounding" (which is utterly subjective and not really open to debate) to a given listener... but that assessment may not stand up to the rigors of a controlled and blinded test. One could debate the relevance of such a test to personal preference -- e.g., if one prefers a red car to a silver car, there's probably no quantitative measurement nor blind test that can deconvolute the root cause for that*. ;)

That said: hey, if a given listener has the amp and prefers it (for whatever reason)... that's OK with me!
And, again and as always: the daily driver amplifier here is a single-ended, direct-heated triode (vacuum tube) amplifer with linear P/S and vacuum tube HV rectification. Demonstrably, quantitatively inferior? Indubitably. Prefereable to me? Likewise, indubitably. ;)

________
* for the record, I've owned two red cars and two silver cars over the course of the past 30 or so years. :rolleyes:

ModDIY

Yes quite impolite, and whoever does it without their consent, can be sued.

Gorgonzola

Been thinking why the GAN sound different vs the SDS, most people think they want "accurate" high fidelity sound, I'm not so sure about that, you know we human always overestimate our ears sensitivity, more does not mean is good for you sometimes, so I'm guessing despite the old SDS might not as accurate as some of the top best measuring amps (e.g. Ncore Hypex), but it guarantee at least smoother and forgiving sound when matching gear.
I have an SDS-258, DIY, which I originally built over a decade ago. Fairly early on I upgraded the CDA linear power to mush higher capacitance Connexelectronic supply; I can't say I noticed noticed any difference in sound or performance. I recently "upgraded" it with a SMPS, (also from Connexelectonic); (see my thread ... here).

Of course I can't do a direct comparison, (blind ABX or otherwise), between the SDS with the linear supply and the SMPS. However my impression of the linear-supply was transparent and dynamic but a trifle "rough" with highs that were shrill in case of some recordings. My impression of the SMPS SDS sounds "cleaner" by a little bit. In fact the upgraded SDS sounds very much like my VTV Purify Stereo that used the VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps.

No, I doubt that I could distinguish the SDS from the Purifi in a blind test regardless of the likelihood that latter measures much better.

Trell

Major Contributor
Pretty rude, and whoever does it without their consent, can be sued.

As always, it depends in that you can always sue in USA, but try that tactic in EU you’ll be saddled with all the other side’s expenses if you loose. It’s also capped.

whislai

I have an SDS-258, DIY, which I originally built over a decade ago. Fairly early on I upgraded the CDA linear power to mush higher capacitance Connexelectronic supply; I can't say I noticed noticed any difference in sound or performance. I recently "upgraded" it with a SMPS, (also from Connexelectonic); (see my thread ... here).

Of course I can't do a direct comparison, (blind ABX or otherwise), between the SDS with the linear supply and the SMPS. However my impression of the linear-supply was transparent and dynamic but a trifle "rough" with highs that were shrill in case of some recordings. My impression of the SMPS SDS sounds "cleaner" by a little bit. In fact the upgraded SDS sounds very much like my VTV Purify Stereo that used the VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps.

No, I doubt that I could distinguish the SDS from the Purifi in a blind test regardless of the likelihood that latter measures much better.
Here's my SDS-470C with upgraded power supply by ClassDAudio, is it same as yours?

Attachments

• PXL_20211009_140901496.jpg
    PXL_20211009_140901496.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 96

whislai

Further listening impressions, the GAN sounded boosted on certain frequency especially bass, is very obvious, eventually introducing a degree fatigue to my ears, not sure that might sound different if to listen with a different speakers or larger space treated room, switching back to SDS, as if I'm back to "tube" sound lol, with smoother imaging of details.

Last edited:

douede

Forum Donor

sychan

Forum Donor
Interestingly one subjective review says the amp is bright while the other says the bass is boosted. Both claim it is fatiguing.

wric01

Pointless convincing the hearing impaired of audioscience (Their measurement equipment do the hearing for them. ). If you are young and still have good hearing then you have golden ears according to these old timers here. Thus splurge on gan amps, r2r daxs, tunes etc. They don't disappoint which is why they cost more. You got tons of hearing life to enjoy it thus justifies spending more.

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor
Pointless convincing the hearing impaired of audioscience (Their measurement equipment do the hearing for them. ). If you are young and still have good hearing then you have golden ears according to these old timers here. Thus splurge on gan amps, r2r daxs, tunes etc. They don't disappoint which is why they cost more. You got tons of hearing life to enjoy it thus justifies spending more

The problem with audioscience is not people who are hearing impaired, it's people who are logic impaired. Jim

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Pointless convincing the hearing impaired of audioscience (Their measurement equipment do the hearing for them. )

Troll much?

Top Bottom