• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Galaxy Note 8 /S8 with cirrus logic DAC - too much noise

Palfim

The newer EU and Asien exynos notes and galaxys have a dedicated CS Dac, as we know CS has high quality, my note uses the cs47l90.

https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs47l90/

My phone is rooted so I fixed the EU volume restrictions , tried the audio mod sauron.
Well I get very high output , I can drive a HD660s on my phone, it gets about as loud as my qudelix at 1.5VRMS.

So I thought : great I can just plug my headphones into the phone, BUT I can't get rid of that noise ! It's like a mixture of noise and static so I put airplane mode on, to no avail . On the data sheet of the dac it says 115 SNR which leads me to believe it is either badly implemented and picks up static from the phone, which btw is so loud that very quiet passages get completely messed up, like a mixture of actual music and static/noise/distortion. The phone sounds wonderful on normal volume songs , just quiet ones are so bad you want to skip it.

Has anyone the same problem or a fix for this ?

OP
P

Palfim

Nevermind , managed to solve the issue myself. The dac's gain and volume is adjustable through mixer_gains.xml in system/etc. (Need root , but only while modifying this file...though make a backup before!)
I had values set to drive my HD660S which worked ok, but when you switch to sensitive earphones you get audible background noise .Toned it down (gain and total volume), got complete transparency! So I need 2 config files for switching to drive both scenarios noisefree (or loud enough).
This should work on any exynos device actually like galaxys,notes and whatnot , afaik Samsung was / is using a dedicated CS since gen 6 or 7?
Nice to actually use the headphone jack for the times my tiny e1da can't be found when going out in a hurry.
Oh and I learned that good SNR doesn't guarantee low base noise floor at all, while reading through e1da discord (thanks).

Top Bottom