• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GALA DAC - New Product, Coming Soon

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

pos

Forum Donor
After giving this some more thought I don't think there's a way to guarantee no drift because the I2S clocks inside each device will be a synchronous to each other. Unless the CS8416 generates the I2S clock synchronous to the incoming spdif.
Exactly. The only way to avoid drift is to drive them by a single clock.

It is my understanding that when an ASRC is used (which is not the case here) there cannot be any drift, regardless of the signals clocks, and regardless of the DAC clocks. It is basically as if the signal was converted to analog at the original sampling frequency and clock, and then reconverted back to digital at the new sampling frequency and clock.

pos

Forum Donor
Per the data sheet the device can accept voltages up to 3.6 V, because I am running the device from 3.3. So 2.7 V will be fine.

There is something I don't quite understand, please bear with me here.
I found the part you were referring to in the datasheet:

spdif.png

So VIH max is (3.3+0.3)V, but min is specified as 2V, which is way higher than what spdif typical P-P voltage is supposed to be (between 0.2V and 0.6V, 0.5V typical according to rane)

What am I missing here?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
There is something I don't quite understand, please bear with me here.
I found the part you were referring to in the datasheet:

View attachment 15351

So VIH max is (3.3+0.3)V, but min is specified as 2V, which is way higher than what spdif typical P-P voltage is supposed to be (between 0.2V and 0.6V, 0.5V typical according to rane)

What am I missing here?
If you notice it says "except RXP[7:0], RXN", those are the spdif inputs. So the 2V min does not apply.

These are the two you have to look at:
20180904_090610.jpg

20180904_090634.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pos

derp1n

You should've called it the Pineapple DAC.

pos

Forum Donor
These are the two you have to look at:
Thanks, so 0.2V min and 3.6V max

Another batch of questions if I may :D
- Is the unit pop-free on turnon/turnoff? (completly silent?)
- How does it handles sampling frequency changes on the spidf input? (noise, etc.)
- Hox does it handle faulty spdif signals, or spdif cable pluging/unpluging?
- In addition to the 130dB noise floor measurement, did you measure the dynamic range with a -60dBFS (or similar) signal to defeat the mute functionality of the DAC?
- Do you have crosstalk measurements?
-Any plan of releasing this as a PCB in order for the user to be able to group several DACs in a single box, and possibly include the 110/75 ohms conversion? (given their position I suppose the DC and RCA ins are not mounted on the main PCB?)

Thanks!

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
- Is the unit pop-free on turnon/turnoff? (completly silent?)
- How does it handles sampling frequency changes on the spidf input? (noise, etc.)
- Hox does it handle faulty spdif signals, or spdif cable pluging/unpluging?
The unit is silent and pop free during all these conditions.

-Any plan of releasing this as a PCB in order for the user to be able to group several DACs in a single box, and possibly include the 110/75 ohms conversion? (given their position I suppose the DC and RCA ins are not mounted on the main PCB?)
Bare board will be available, RCA and Power on the PCB for final design to ease assembly. I will be posting pictures later.

pos

Forum Donor
I would personally prefer to be able to wire the DC and spdif connection myself for the reasons already exposed.

I don't think my needs are that uncommon: if the user wants to install the PCB in a box he might want to also add a powersupply and possibly different digital input options (spidf, aes, usb, etc.), in which case he will want to be able to play with these connections without loosing the benefit of having the XLR directly mounted on the PCB.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I don't think my needs are that uncommon: if the user wants to install the PCB in a box he might want to also add a powersupply and possibly different digital input options (spidf, aes, usb, etc.), in which case he will want to be able to play with these connections without loosing the benefit of having the XLR directly mounted on the PCB.
If you can solder it would not be that much work to remove the power and RCA connector so that you can bring in from somewhere else.

How many you looking to get? We might be able to work something out where I remove those connectors for you. Send me a pm.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I dont buy anything that is not at least meassured by @amirm/this site, if not approved or recommended.
I will have something to send to amirm for review by end of this month.

Re/ Gala: Will this DC plug be compatible to ifi iPower12V pls?
The DC plug is 2.1mm ID, 5.5mm OD, positive center.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Ok, it matches perfect then, but US-$ 400 is not cheap, anyway, lets see how it measures...........
I do believe that it is a great value considering that you are getting two devices in one. The Pre-amplier is built in. If you try to find two devices (DAC and pre-amp) that deliver the same performance you will be out a hell of a lot more money.

Also by having two devices in one you are eliminating additional cabling.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I don't understand the absence of USB in a modern DAC ...

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
The reasoning is that, you can get USB to SPdif converters for under $30.

Since my products are not made in high quantities it would cost me a lot more than $30 to add USB functionality.

GALA is essentially jitter immune on the spdif input so even a cheap USB to SPdif converter will work great.

derp1n

Hi

I'm not sure I'd call a DAC based on a 14 year old chip modern. ;)

helloworld

The reasoning is that, you can get USB to SPdif converters for under $30.

Since my products are not made in high quantities it would cost me a lot more than $30 to add USB functionality.

GALA is essentially jitter immune on the spdif input so even a cheap USB to SPdif converter will work great.
Well,frankly speaking, I really think you should change your marketing strategy. Like the Applepi, you make great dacs, but from the customer's perspective, it seems like your products always miss something. Of course I understand your concern, but most people dont. They want your Applepi coming with the STACKING HEADER and your gala with USB, even if may cost $30 more. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
The absence of an USB input is what I like the most about this DAC :D
Kidding aside, there are plenty of DACs with USB inputs nowadays, and also many with integrated headphone amplifiers.
Variety is a good thing: you cannot please everyone but at least everyone can pick a product that suit his particular needs.

If jitter is properly handled the only drawback is the 24bits/192kHz limit of SPDIF.
I can live with that ;)

Nango

Major Contributor
I guess this is 8-10x value of the parts involved, with no distribution costs, unknown after sales service, etc., I would honour this with 4-5x value the pieces the highest...... Pls go ahead with no USB, love it!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom