• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GALA DAC - New Product, Coming Soon

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@orchardaudio, where are you at with this DAC?

I am still waiting for units to be properly manufactured. I went away from my original manufacturer and send it to a different one.

I will make a decision on what to do once I receive the new boards, in the next two weeks.

I am very unhappy with the way this thing turned out. I basically got completely screwed by a manufacturer I trusted for years.

Anyway the project is not dead, please stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: pos

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I am still waiting for units to be properly manufactured. I went away from my original manufacturer and send it to a different one.

I will make a decision on what to do once I receive the new boards, in the next two weeks.

I am very unhappy with the way this thing turned out. I basically got completely screwed by a manufacturer I trusted for years.

Anyway the project us not dead, please stay tuned.

Curious: Screwed by local manufacturer or off-shore?

Veri

Master Contributor

Anyway the project is not dead, please stay tuned.
That is quite sad to hear :(

tomelex

Forum Donor
I don't get the patronizing tone here, it is uncalled for IMHO :confused:

@orchardaudio, an interesting alternative (or addition!) to the volume pot would be a 4 positions selector with adjusted (and precise) resistors corresponding to known digital attenuation and maximum output levels, eg +4.2dBu (2dBV, 1.26Vrms), +8.2dBu (6dBV, 2Vrms),+12.2dBu (10dBV, 3.16Vrms), +16.2dBu (14dBV, 5Vrms)
That is what I intended to replace the pot with when I was considering your DAC.

Watchnerd is doing a service here for free, and he is right, and asking factual questions is not a bad thing. I believe free professional advice by him or any of us on this site is valuable and what makes this place great. I do understand you are interested in the product, but for GALA to do well, they need to do well in marketing as well, not just engineering.

It is hard to differentiate in products.

When all you can do is bling them and they really are not better then you can go to Why Believe Facts forum and hear about air, blacker blacks, a whole 'nother level, a veil was lifted, etc, just romance and talk because that is all that's left when a certain level of performance is reached in any product. Look at watches, none of the fancy ones try to compete on accuracy (which by almost all standards should be the "mundane and fundamental" purpose of a watch.

I don't even bother caring about accuracy from any major watch maker, its all about looks and style. This happens in audio too. And for some, about bragging rights and economic status.

pos

Forum Donor
@orchardaudio, at some point to published different measurements for a 128fs MCLK version and a 256fs MCLK version.
The 256fs version had lower distortion but what looked like a higher noise floor.
Did you figure out what was going on, and what MCLK will you favor in the final implementation?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I cant say anything until I get the new boards. I think all measurements up to this point are suspect, due to the manufacturing issues.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Apple recently came after me for the ApplePi trademark, so I have been completely diverted by my efforts. I will be providing information soon.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Apple recently came after me for the ApplePi trademark, so I have been completely diverted by my efforts. I will be providing information soon.

Another good reason for me to never buy another Apple product. Please keep us informed. You may need a fighting fund... :)

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Top Bottom