• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gain Staging Integrated Amp -> Headphone Amp

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Right now, I feed my headphone amp from the pre-outs from my integrated amp.

The pre-out is set to "variable" so that I can also use it with subwoofers; the connection to the headphone amp is handled through a cable switcher.

This also has the added benefit of allowing me to use the remote volume control with the headphone amp.

But what's the best practice for gain staging?

Is it best to treat the headphone amp like a power amp and leave its gain maxed, only adjusting volume from the pre-out?

The opposite?

Right now, it's somewhat in between (headphone amp is cranked to about 50%).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it best to treat the headphone amp like a power amp and leave its gain maxed, only adjusting volume from the pre-out?

That's what I usually do. Basically just for the better channel matching since my "preamp " is a DAC with built in digital volume control.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's what I usually do. Basically just for the better channel matching since my "preamp " is a DAC with built in digital volume control.

Pretty sure my volume is fully digital, too, given I can control the amp volume entirely from Roon.

It would be cool if someone would just make a headphone power amp.

Top Bottom