• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gain problem with speakers and passive preamp.

mateematy

Hello, I want to get a pair of speakers either the T5Vs or the 305Ps, a TT(ATH LP120x), a D10 and a Mackie Big Knob Passive to control everything. The only question is being passive, will there be enough gain (ie will the whole system go loud enough). I will leave the specs for anybody asking for them.

Attachments

• Turntable.png
    Turntable.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Adam T5V.png
    Adam T5V.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Adam T5V2.png
    Adam T5V2.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 87
  • JBL305p.png
    JBL305p.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 92

exaudio

Forum Donor
Have you considered using a traditional preamp rather than the Mackie Big Knob? The Schiit Freya S tested very well and it's on Amir's recommended list. The Freya may cost more than the Big Knob, but it will give you a lot more flexibility. You get the choice of passive or active and you get the option of using balanced/XLR or RCA for both your outputs and interconnects. It also looks good and has a remote.

The Mackie Big Knob may be cheaper, but its functionality is limited to a fairly niche application. I think the Freya would be a better long term investment. Its flexibility will give you room to grow.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think the Freya would be a better long term investment. Its flexibility will give you room to grow.

I'll second the Schiit recommendation. I have the Freya S and like it a lot. Remote is excellent.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I really doubt you'll have enough gain from the turntable preamp alone through a passive preamp even with active speakers.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the output level of your turntable is not enough. It's line out is rated only to 240 mV. I cannot find the same info in Adam's site, but here is the spec of the JBL 305P you posted. The 305P can only give you 92 dB SPL @ 1 m at -10 dBV, which is 316 mV.

IMO, you'll need a pre-amp. For example, to drive the 305P to its full rated output, it needs 2 V input, which means a gain of 2/0.24 = 8.3X = 18 dB.

C3.JPG

OP
M

mateematy

Ok I can only tell that's bad news. Unfortunately I can't get any of the Schiit stuff because I live in Europe and the shipping is costly. In short, do I have to get a ProJect Phono Box ?

Top Bottom