• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gain Matching Subs w/ REW & MiniDSP - Mic Positions?

mj30250

I'm about to embark on gain matching dual 15" subs using a 2x4 HD and UMIK-1. Since I don't have an easy means to haul around both subs to the same positions to gain match, I'd prefer to use the recommended method of measuring each sub in their normal positions with the mic positioned just in front of the cones of each sub (to remove the majority of room influence). I would then measure their combined response at the MLP and continue to measure and adjust gain at the subs until ultimately arriving at a combined target of 75dB at the MLP.

What's not clear to me is how to manage the calibration files within REW. There are separate files for straight ahead measurements (for measuring at the subs) and 90 degree vertical measurements (for measuring at the MLP). Is it recommended to swap back and forth between files as I perform the different measurements? If so, that seems...cumbersome. If not, which of the two calibration files should I use?

Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The different cal files differ in frequency response only above ~6kHz.
For gain matching subs, it shouldn't matter which one you choose.
I'd just leave the 0° file on and forget about it (until you measure the full system response)

OP
M

mj30250

The different cal files differ in frequency response only above ~6kHz.
For gain matching subs, it shouldn't matter which one you choose.
I'd just leave the 0° file on and forget about it (until you measure the full system response)
Perfect, thanks!

Dal1as

Also realize there may be a huge disparity in spl doing it this way if the subs are not equal distant to boundaries. You may want to at least move 1 of the subs to where they are both equal distance from walls.

Top Bottom