• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

G.R. Koonce, RIP

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
G.R. Koonce, who wrote numerous educational articles on loudspeaker design and measurement in Audio Amateur, Speaker Builder, and AudioXpress, passed away this week. I never had a chance to meet him in person, but the clarity and depth of his articles guided a lot of us through some difficult learning processes and made me feel like I knew him.

Please join me in raising a glass to his memory and acknowledging his wonderful contributions to this great avocation.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes read many articles by the venerable Mr. Koonce. His knack for explaining ideas was special.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May he Rest In Peace.
I didn’t know about him until this thread
Can someone point me toward some of his articles? TIA.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There's likely a master index to Speaker Builder articles online somewhere. Grabbing an issue off my bookshelf at random (it was Issue 5 from 1990), the first article I saw was "Crossovers for the Novice," a great tutorial explaining issues like crossover slopes and orders, impedance correction, and driver integration. Straightforward, accessible, accurate.

Top Bottom